How is the Optical Theorem Used in Optics and Particle Physics?

In summary, the imaginary part of the forward scattering amplitude, as described in Born and Wolf's book on optics, is linked to the total cross section. This is explained in an article by R.G. Newton, which discusses the history of the optical theorem.
humanino
"The imaginary part of the forward scattering amplitude is proprtional to the total cross section"
OK, so what is the link with Optics !? :confused: :uhh:

I am not sure I got the right forum, I just didn't know which would be better for that (stupid) question

Physics news on Phys.org
origin of optical theorem

Well, it is Optical, because in Born and Wolf (the bible of optics), in the 7th edition I find on page 720:

"the rate at which the energy is removed from the incident plane wave by the processes of scattering and absorption is proportional to the imaginary part of the scattering amplitude for scattering in the forward direction."

They also give, in a footnote, a reference to an article describing the history of this theorem, R.G. Newton, Amer. J. Phys. 44(1976), 639.
I didn't check...

cheers,
Patrick.

The Optical Theorem is a fundamental principle in the field of optics and scattering theory. It states that the imaginary part of the forward scattering amplitude, which describes the probability of a particle being scattered in the forward direction, is proportional to the total cross section. This means that the amount of light scattered in the forward direction is directly related to the size of the target object.

In optics, this theorem is used to relate the intensity of light scattered by a medium to its absorption coefficient. It is also used in the study of particle physics, where it is used to calculate the total cross section of a scattering process.

The name "Optical Theorem" comes from the fact that it was first derived in the context of optics, but it has since been applied to many other fields, including acoustics and quantum mechanics. It is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of waves and particles in various systems.

1. What is the Optical Theorem?

The Optical Theorem is a fundamental principle in optics that relates the total scattering cross section of an object to its extinction cross section. It states that the total scattering cross section is equal to four times the extinction cross section.

2. How is the Optical Theorem used in optics?

The Optical Theorem is used to calculate the scattering properties of objects, such as particles or surfaces. It allows for the determination of the total amount of light scattered by an object, which is important in various applications such as remote sensing and particle sizing.

3. What is the significance of the Optical Theorem in physics?

The Optical Theorem is significant in physics because it provides a link between the macroscopic properties of an object (such as its scattering cross section) and the microscopic properties (such as its composition and size). It is also used in the study of wave scattering and diffraction.

4. Can the Optical Theorem be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the Optical Theorem can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. It is a general principle that is not limited to a specific type of wave.

5. Are there any limitations to the Optical Theorem?

While the Optical Theorem is a useful tool in optics, it has some limitations. It assumes that the scattering object is isotropic (i.e. it scatters light equally in all directions) and that the incident light is monochromatic (i.e. a single color or wavelength). Additionally, it does not take into account multiple scattering events, which can occur when there are multiple objects in the scattering medium.