CNN: It's McCain and Palin

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate. Palin is a relatively unknown politician who has only been in office for two years. She is a Republican and is likely to be a strong supporter of the oil industry. The VP debate is likely to be interesting, as Biden is likely to bully Palin.
LowlyPion said:
Family values oriented? ... pregnant underage unmarried daughter

You can't blame her for that. It would have been better though if her daughter had aborted the baby with her support.

I don't even know how she's part of modern society and beyond that became a governor with all her BS religious views :rofl:.

Physics news on Phys.org
seycyrus said:
So, you are in fact, questioning her "mothering ability" or somesuch.

Just trying to get the record straight.

Do you think a good parent places the health and safety of their children above their own convenience and ambition?

seycyrus said:
A quick question. is it the fact that Palin claims to work for God or the fact that she talks about it, offend you?

Certainly Obama is a religous person. I am certain that he therefore, tries to do, and believes he does, God's will on a daily basis.

Unless you think that Obama is lying about his faith?

I never heard Obama saying that God's telling him to attack Iraq/Iran .. etc.

Astronuc said:
It's more a question of credibility and honesty.

Credibility and honesty about what? Do you think she doesn't believe in the sanctity of human life?

Astronuc said:
And certainly one has to question why she would risk the health and safety of her child. Without the protection of the amniotic fluid, how much injury was done to her not yet born son?

Do you think she risked it on purpose?

rootX said:
You can't blame her for that.

Actually you can.

Bill O'Reilly clips were shown last night doing that very thing because Britney Spears 16 year old sister was pregnant. He was lashing out at what kind of parents she must have and how her parents were to blame.

Now we are to suppose that Palin gets a pass from O'Reilly because she is the rabid right vice-standard bearer?

rootX said:
I never heard Obama saying that God's telling him to attack Iraq/Iran .. etc.

I never heard that either. I think the point I was making was pretty straightforward.

As a religous person, who tries to live according to morals shaped by religous values, any decision Obama made would be in accordance to those beliefs.

My question again. Does the public disclosue of these beliefs offend you?

seycyrus said:

Which would it be then? Water breaks, give a speech, fly home, have a baby? Now did she act out of willful neglect knowing the risks or was she ignorant of the risks?

Which headline do you think plays better?

(After 4 deliveries she was ignorant still you think?)

LowlyPion said:
Do you think a good parent places the health and safety of their children above their own convenience and ambition?

I'm just trying to get some simple answers. I'm not the one making judgements on this one, so stop trying to throw the question at me.

Instead of all the implications, just answer the question.

Are you saying that Palin is a bad mother?

seycyrus said:

Well, she most certainly did take a risk with the health of the unborn baby, and I don't understand how she could have done it by accident.

Astronuc said:
Basically the McCain-Palin campaign is using the children for PR, but they will not allow the media to scrutinize what they are doing, and in fact they bash the press for doing so. This is an example of duplicitous behavior - and a continuation of Bush-Cheney.

I'll assume that your TV was broken during the Democratic Convention. Did you see Michelle Obama trot out their children? Did you hear his youngest ask, "Daddy, what city are you in"? Have you forgotten that Obama said he wouldn't use his children in the campaign (right after granting an http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07/13/obama-calls-kids-hands-off-regrets-television-interview/") ... and then he flipped on that issue as well!

Are you seriously suggesting that Obama's behavior is a continuation of Bush-Cheney?

Last edited by a moderator:
LowlyPion said:
Which headline do you think plays better?
(After 4 deliveries she was ignorant still you think?)

Gawd! Just say it! You can do it!

You think Palin intentionally risked the health of her newborn child, and is a bad mother.

seycyrus said:
A quick question. is it the fact that Palin claims to work for God or the fact that she talks about it, offend you?

Certainly Obama is a religous person. I am certain that he therefore, tries to do, and believes he does, God's will on a daily basis.

Unless you think that Obama is lying about his faith?
Most sane, religious people believe God gave people free will to do good or bad. And again most sane people have sufficient belief in their own principles and convictions not to need to claim God's personal support and blessing to justify their actions.

seycyrus said:
Ahh, but you contrasted it with the "belief in the sanctity of human life" stuff.

It didn't seem like you were just questioning her judgement.
If she believes human life is sacred, why would she risk putting the life of her unborn son at risk by delaying medical attention and getting on a plane back to Alaska that would put her out of the reach of competent medical care for ~1/2 day? Without amniotic fluid to shelter and cushion her unborn child, and protect him from infection, he was put at risk by her decision to fly home. Also, about 50% of Down Syndrome babies are born with heart defects and are subject to other complications like suppressed immune systems. It would have been prudent for her to stay in Texas where she and her baby could have monitoring and medical care, and where any complications could have been addressed promptly.

IMO, Palin exhibited extremely poor judgment by risking the well-being of her unborn child, and it doesn't square well with her professed belief in the sanctity of life. (It's not OK to use birth control, but it's OK to risk the well-being of a child that is about to be born.) That's just ignorant. After my sister had delivered her second child, she had to change ob-gyn doctors because her favorite doctor's practice was 40 minutes away. For her last two pregnancies, time from first contraction until delivery was about 20-25 minutes.

Art said:
Most sane, religious people believe God gave people free will to do good or bad. And again most sane people have sufficient belief in their own principles and convictions not to need to claim God's personal support and blessing to justify their actions.

But a sincere person's beliefs and convictions would stem from their religous beliefs, don't you think? And aren't the religous tenets and beliefs derived from "gods will"?

Oh and by the way, are we now saying that Palin is insane?

seycyrus said:
I'm just trying to get some simple answers. I'm not the one making judgements on this one, so stop trying to throw the question at me.

Instead of all the implications, just answer the question.

Are you saying that Palin is a bad mother?
People are saying that she showed bad judgement, so stop trying to put words into people's mouths.

turbo-1 said:
If she believes human life is sacred, why would she risk putting the life of her unborn son at risk by delaying medical attention and getting on a plane back ...

Ok, so it is apparent that you believe that she intentionally risked the health of he unborn child, therefore from the above,

it is logical to state that you believe that Palin does not believe in the sanctity of human life.

Ok, got it.

Evo said:
People are saying that she showed bad judgement, so stop trying to put words into people's mouths.

I am not putting words in people's mouths. In each instance, I have directly asked a straightforward question.

A question that up till now, only you have answered in a straightforward manner.

chemisttree said:
I'll assume that your TV was broken during the Democratic Convention. Did you see Michelle Obama trot out their children? Did you hear his youngest ask, "Daddy, what city are you in"? Have you forgotten that Obama said he wouldn't use his children in the campaign (right after granting an http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07/13/obama-calls-kids-hands-off-regrets-television-interview/") ... and then he flipped on that issue as well!

Are you seriously suggesting that Obama's behavior is a continuation of Bush-Cheney?

Unfortunately your comparison is deeply flawed. The question is not whether the campaigns will use pictures of the children to sell their candidates, because they all will.

The real question is the hypocrisy of forbidding discussion of this pregnancy issue as if it were somehow out of bounds, at the very moment that they would talk up their family values and wave the pregnant unwed mother under everyone's nose. As it stands the "boy" is not a child. He is 18 and as an adult talking to him is surely fair dinkum.

If you don't want a fact used at trial, don't bring it up.

seycyrus said:
But a sincere person's beliefs and convictions would stem from their religous beliefs, don't you think? And aren't the religous tenets and beliefs derived from "gods will"?

Oh and by the way, are we now saying that Palin is insane?

Are you suggesting that she hears voices from God?

seycyrus said:
Ok, so it is apparent that you believe that she intentionally risked the health of he unborn child, therefore from the above,

it is logical to state that you believe that Palin does not believe in the sanctity of human life..

Actually that is a logical fallacy.

LowlyPion said:
Apparently being slow on the uptake I wonder could you help me out by providing a list of your alleged merits, that haven't been discussed here?

Sorry I missed this post earlier LP.

I believe I said "possible" merits, not "alleged" (tho alleged might just be a potshot at me)

Here's basically what I was saying...

Do this

Position:Alaska is close Russia?

While some might contend that Alaska's proximity to Russia might force their interaction due to various issues such as fishing rights, shipping lanes etc, a bit of thought and insight shows that this position is incorrect due to the following reasons...

NOT this

Position: Alaska is close to Russia?

What a flipping idiot! I hate her hair too!

LowlyPion said:
Actually that is a logical fallacy.

Yes, it IS a logical fallacy, but not on my part. There is of course another alternative, that Palin simply exercised poor judgment.

If you claim that I am executing a logical fallacy by analyzing his statement in such a fashion, please demonstrate why. The original quote is ...

If she believes human life is sacred, why would she risk putting the life of her unborn son at risk by delaying medical attention and getting on a plane back

People are claiming that she probably knew the risks ...

seycyrus said:
Here's basically what I was saying...

Do this

Position:Alaska is close Russia?

While some might contend that Alaska's proximity to Russia might force their interaction due to various issues such as fishing rights, shipping lanes etc, a bit of thought and insight shows that this position is incorrect due to the following reasons...

NOT this

Position: Alaska is close to Russia?

What a flipping idiot! I hate her hair too!

This is another logical fallacy.

Alaska is close to Russia. Russia is a foreign country. Therefore Palin has foreign policy experience.

Why do you think the late night's have had fun with this?

Here's what some Alaskan environmentalists think of the new Republican VP Pick for the US.

(S)he sued Kempthorne, arguing that the Bush administration didn't use the best science in concluding that without further protection, the polar bear faces eventual extinction because of disappearing sea ice as the result of global warming.

Palin, McCain's vice-presidential running mate, has had frequent run-ins with environmentalists.

In her 20 months as governor, Palin has questioned the conclusions of federal marine scientists who say the Cook Inlet beluga whale needs protection under the federal Endangered Species Act.

She has also defended Alaska's right to shoot wolves from the air to boost caribou and moose herds for hunters, and - contrary to a view held by McCain - is not convinced that global warming is the result of human activity.

Environmentalists have nicknamed Palin the "killa from Wasilla," a reference to the small town where she formerly was mayor.

"Her philosophy from our perspective is cut, kill, dig and drill," said John Toppenberg, director of the Alaska Wildlife Alliance.

Palin is "in the Stone Age of wildlife management and is very opposed to utilizing accepted science," according to Toppenberg.

While acknowledging the climate is changing, Palin expresses doubt as to whether emissions from human activities are causing it. McCain, on the other hand, supports legislation to reduce heat-trapping pollutants, primarily from the burning of oil and coal.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080904/world/palin_environment

seycyrus said:
Yes, it IS a logical fallacy, but not on my part. There is of course another alternative, that Palin simply exercised poor judgment.

If you claim that I am executing a logical fallacy by analyzing his statement in such a fashion, please demonstrate why. The original quote is ...

If she believes human life is sacred, why would she risk putting the life of her unborn son at risk by delaying medical attention and getting on a plane back

People are claiming that she probably knew the risks ...

Ok then what is your explanation of her judgment process in that instance? Just what values do you see that she exercised there? Was giving the speech that important given her physical state and the unborn child's?

Is your position then that she did exercise poor judgment, and this somehow qualifies her for higher office?

LowlyPion said:
Are you suggesting that she hears voices from God?

Where's this coming from? At first, I was trying to have a straightforward discussion with Art about acceptable expression of religous convictions. Noting that any sincere religous person's actions are supposed to be shaped by belief system whish is supposed to be influenced by their religous convictions.

"Talk to God"... I suppose there are many different ways in which God can speak to people. If you mean, influencing her thoughts and beliefs, or something like that...then sure, why not.

If on the other hand, you mean in a fashion that is detectable by other human beings and/or other auditory sensors, then, No, I don't think she hears God in that way.

I bet she doesn't think she hears God in that way either, btw.

LowlyPion said:
This is another logical fallacy.

Alaska is close to Russia. Russia is a foreign country. Therefore Palin has foreign policy experience.

Why do you think the late night's have had fun with this?

Proximity infers interaction. The inference was so obvious that it should have been analyzed.

As for the reason why I think late night tv had so much fun with it ... Did I mention that I can't believe Palin wore that gaudy broach!?

Gokul43201 said:
In recent history, the VP seems to be the number 1 guy running the show.
Yes of course but that is historically ~ atypical over 43 Presidents.
mheslep said:
Obama is going to be haunted by the 'is he up to it' question on matters of force to which I credit his loose cannon statements on Pakistan - trying to prove he's tough enough.
Gokul said:
Can you quote some of these loose cannon statements, and explain how they qualify as loose cannon?
A topic for another thread, but anyway:

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/events/docs/obamasp0807.pdf
Sen Obama said:
“I understand that President Musharraf has his own challenges,” Senator Obama said in his prepared remarks. “But let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. It was a terrible mistake to fail to act when we had a chance to take out an al Qaeda leadership meeting in 2005. If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won’t act, we will.
I'd agree that the camps in those mountains are a problem. However, Pakistan is an ally, and there's no UN action/sanctions on the table regarding Pakistan. So making that unilateral public statement in disregard of Pakistani sovereignty, and given P's internal Islamic militant troubles, qualifies as a loose cannon remark, IMO. Actually, scratch loose cannon, he's not out of control, it sounds like he's looking to prove himself. That is, I assert there are more serious threats elsewhere (Iran/Iraq) where UN action/sanctions are in place regarding which Sen. Obama clearly makes more diplomatic, multilateral and minimalist statements, suggesting to me that he was looking for away to sound like a commander in chief and selected the lower consequence of Pakistan. McCain searches similarly for ways to show he's connected to the little guy on domestics, like the gas tax break silliness.

LowlyPion said:
Ok then what is your explanation of her judgment process in that instance? Just what values do you see that she exercised there?

Poor judgement is just that, poor judgement.

LowlyPion said:
Is your position then that she did exercise poor judgment,

Well, I haven't read anything on this point from her or her doctor, but from what I read on this forum (and with the caveat that my posiotn might laterchange as information becomes available), yes I think she exercised poor judgement.

LowlyPion said:
and this somehow qualifies her for higher office?

Wow, talk about a logical fallacy!

LOL, this is great. Palin rocks.

I don't care about her kids (it's not like they are criminals) or how she chooses to deliver her own baby, or her hairdo, or the fact that she was "only" a mayor and a governor in AK (where I grew up).

I care about how she will potentially be VP. The Republican part could do worse. They picked a solid conservative to bring in the disgruntled conservatives. It's what we all expected. As far as foriegn relations and such, I'd like to think she will consider the effect policies have on everyday Americans first and foremost.

seycyrus said:
Proximity infers interaction. The inference was so obvious that it should have been analyzed.

Specifically then what actual foreign policy experience does she have?

You have "inferred" that proximity infers interaction. Then you would infer using your own inference that her experience would be greater with Siberian Eskimos than Russian central bureaucrats in Moscow?

What has she really done or negotiated with foreign countries in the last 2 years as governor?

Why is the argument for such experience then this vague inference that Alaska is close to Russia? Is it that she can't name any actual relevant experience? Wouldn't a list of such experience be a much better argument - if there was any?

If there is none, then why would the Republicans attempt this kind of deception? Say anything to get elected? Isn't it this kind of thinking that leaves the country and the economy in the state it's in? That puts hundreds of thousands of troops in a foreign adventure dealing with a threat that was a fabrication? (Say anything to get the country to war?)

LowlyPion said:
Specifically then what actual foreign policy experience does she have?

I have made it crystal clear from my introduction into this thread that I found the trite dismissal to be improper.

LowlyPion said:
...adventure dealing with a threat that was a fabrication? (Say anything to get the country to war?)

This is another logical fallacy. Appeal to emotion.

seycyrus said:
I have made it crystal clear from my introduction into this thread that I found the trite dismissal to be improper.

This suggests then that you have nothing to offer on her behalf?

But you take issue with others noting that the Emperor apparently has no clothes when it comes to foreign policy?

LowlyPion said:
This suggests then that you have nothing to offer on her behalf??

I never claimed I was going to champion her foreign relations experience. You are batting 0/100 today.