Graphene Introduction: Find a Good Textbook Here

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone looking for a good textbook on graphene and other resources for their research project involving graphene. Suggestions are made for review articles, introductory papers, and tutorial options. The conversation also touches on current graphene research, different methods of producing graphene, and available forums and resources for technological advancements in graphene.
knghrts17
Hello all,

I am beginning a new research project involving graphene. Although I have be actively doing a literature search on graphene, I was wondering if somebody would be will to suggest a good textbook that covers the basic of graphene

Thanks in advance

-Ed

Physics news on Phys.org
Graphene was discovered quite recently(2004) so I don't think there are any textbooks yet. However, there should be a few review articles around, search for "graphene" and "Geim" (the guy who actually discovered it, I know he has written at least one review article).

Free-standing graphene was produced recently. It's been known about for much longer, and I believe they were growing epitaxially in the seventies (with very limited success). As such, there is a lot of extremely accessible material about it - unfortunately the textbooks are probably a few years off, though people more knowledgeable than me might have chapters they could point you to.

What are you specifically looking at doing? Anyway, much of the theoretical discussion of carbon nanotubes is also applicable to graphene. Therefore, I suggest Saito and Dresselhaus(es), Physical Properties of Carbon Nanotubes.

Currently, there are two different types of graphene research going on: Epitaxial graphene and "mechanically-exfoliated" graphene. I put "mechanically-exfoliated" in quotations because the amusing truth is that this is academese for "used scotch tape to peel off graphene from graphite". Although I deride the term, the latter is the only method currently known to produce single sheets. Epitaxially-grown graphene is typically several sheets thick and doesn't share the same properties as a single sheet.

Last edited:
Hi Ed
There are no good books yet.. Check this site for a collection of recent reviews.
http://grapheneupdate.com/reviews.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A good basic overview of graphene physics can be found in "The Rise of Graphene" by Geim and Novoselov in Nature Materials 6, 183 (2007).

The introductory chapter for "Physical Properties of Carbon Nanotubes" by Saito, Dresselhaus and Dresselhaus is relatively good at introducing the tight-binding method in graphene (starting from polyacetylene). Other than that there are many reviews on the electronic properties of graphene, and general reviews available on arXiv.

I'd echo the paper recommended by Roman - Castro Neto's review is pretty good.

I am also starting to read on the basics of graphene and I see myself working on graphene soon. The links provided are very helpful. I recently attended a tutorial on graphene. It was extremely useful to me. You could think about taking one if you are interested. Let me know if you need more references. I will be able look-up the tutorial and send you.

I wonder if there are forums dedidcated to graphene. Or we could start one. I am mainly looking for resources on present graphene technology. It would be a great resource if technological improvements can be posted in one place.

viji, it would be great if you could cite the references you have. I imagine a lot of people could find it very useful.

Nature Nanotecnology 2 (4) 2007 pp.191 and pp.199 also references therein
Phys.Rev. B 54 (24) 1996 pp.17954
Nature Materials vol.6 (2007) pp.720

The above references and the cited references therein are very useful.

1. What is Graphene?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is the thinnest and strongest material known to date, with excellent electrical and thermal conductivity properties. It is also transparent and flexible, making it a promising material for a wide range of applications.

2. What are the potential applications of Graphene?

Graphene has the potential to revolutionize many industries, including electronics, energy storage, biomedical, and aerospace. Its properties make it suitable for use in transparent touch screens, flexible electronics, high-performance batteries, and even in drug delivery systems.

3. How is Graphene produced?

Graphene can be produced through various methods, including mechanical exfoliation, chemical vapor deposition, and epitaxial growth. The most common method is mechanical exfoliation, where layers of graphene are peeled off from graphite using adhesive tape.

4. What are the challenges in commercializing Graphene?

Despite its many promising properties, there are still challenges in commercializing graphene. One major challenge is the difficulty in producing large quantities of high-quality graphene at a low cost. Another challenge is integrating graphene into existing technologies, as well as understanding its long-term effects on human health and the environment.

5. Where can I find a good textbook on Graphene?

There are several good textbooks on Graphene available, including "Graphene: Fundamentals and Emergent Applications" by Jamie H. Warner, Franziska Schaffel, Mark Rummeli, and Alicja Bachmatiuk, and "Graphene: Carbon in Two Dimensions" by Mikhail I. Katsnelson. These books cover the basics of Graphene, its properties, production methods, and potential applications. They are available for purchase online or at your local library.