Saving a LateX drawing as an eps file

In summary, the speaker is having trouble converting a figure created using LaTeX commands to EPS format for submission to a physics journal. They are seeking advice on how to save the figure in EPS format, and mention using TeXnicCenter with MikTeX on a Windows machine. They also suggest checking the Tikz manual for help with exporting figures to EPS.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have an annoying problem. I have a paper to submit to a physics journal which requires that the figures be in eps format. The problem is that I am generating the figure I need using LaTeX commands (using a certain package for drawing quantum algorithms). The figure comes out exactly as I want it in my paper. But now I have to convert this drawing to an eps file and then include it as an eps file. I know how to include eps files, my problem is how to somehow save the figure in eps format.

Any idea?

If that helps, I am using TeXnicCenter with MikTeX on a Windows machine.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are using Tikz, then it has an externalization library that helps you to export figures to eps. Check the manual (page 399). Some code is also available here.

1. How do I save a LateX drawing as an eps file?

To save a LateX drawing as an eps file, you can use the command \includegraphics{filename.eps} in your LateX document. This will convert the drawing into an eps file and include it in your document.

2. Can I convert an existing LateX drawing into an eps file?

Yes, you can convert an existing LateX drawing into an eps file by using the command \includegraphics{filename.eps} and specifying the file name of your drawing. This will create a new eps file of your drawing.

3. Why should I save my LateX drawing as an eps file?

Saving a LateX drawing as an eps file allows you to use the drawing in other programs and documents, as eps files are widely supported by various software. It also ensures that the quality and resolution of your drawing remain intact.

4. Are there any limitations when saving a LateX drawing as an eps file?

There are some limitations when saving a LateX drawing as an eps file. For example, certain advanced features such as transparency and shading may not be supported in the eps format. It is best to check the compatibility of your drawing before converting it into an eps file.

5. How do I check the compatibility of my LateX drawing before saving it as an eps file?

You can check the compatibility of your LateX drawing by compiling it in a LateX editor and viewing the output. If your drawing appears as desired with all its features, then it should be compatible with the eps format. If not, you may need to make some adjustments to your drawing before saving it as an eps file.