Inclined plane (ranking normal force)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block on an inclined plane and four possible directions for a force to be applied. The task is to rank the choices based on the magnitude of the normal force on the block from the plane, but the speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem. The figure provided shows the different directions and the inclined plane at a 30 degree angle.
jtulloss
I'm having problems with my initial approach on this problem:

The figure below shows four choices for the direction of a force of magnitude F to be applied to a block on an inclined plane. The directions are either horizontal or vertical. (For choices a and b, the force is not enough to lift the block off the plane.) Rank the choices according to the magnitude of the normal force on the block from the plane, greatest first (use only the symbols > or =, for example c>b>a>d).

05_35.gif

In case the image doesn't work, this is an inclined plane of 30 degrees with a block shown on the plane. The different forces applied are to the block in the +x, -x, +y, and -y directions. I'm supposed to rank the normal force, but I don't even know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Resolve the vectors in the perpendicular and parallel directions to the inclined plane.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of normal force and its relationship with inclined planes. Normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In the case of an inclined plane, the normal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the component of the weight of the object perpendicular to the plane.

Given this understanding, I would start by looking at the direction of the applied force and its relation to the weight of the block. In choices a and b, where the applied force is not enough to lift the block off the plane, the normal force would be equal to the weight of the block since the block is in equilibrium. Therefore, we can rank these choices as a=b.

In choices c and d, where the applied force is either in the +y or -y direction, the normal force would be less than the weight of the block. This is because the applied force is not directly opposing the weight of the block, resulting in a smaller normal force. Therefore, we can rank these choices as c>d.

Finally, in choice e, where the applied force is in the +x direction, the normal force would be equal to the component of the weight of the block perpendicular to the plane. This would result in a normal force that is less than the weight of the block, but greater than the normal force in choices c and d. Therefore, we can rank this choice as e>c and e>d.

In summary, the ranking would be e>c>d>a=b. This is because the normal force in choice e is the greatest, followed by choices c and d, and then choices a and b. I hope this helps with your initial approach to the problem.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object from one point to another.

How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by allowing an object to move from a higher point to a lower point along a sloped surface. This reduces the amount of force needed to move the object compared to lifting it directly.

What is the normal force on an inclined plane?

The normal force on an inclined plane is the force that is perpendicular to the surface of the plane. It is equal in magnitude to the weight of the object on the plane.

How is the normal force related to the angle of inclination?

The normal force is directly proportional to the angle of inclination. As the angle of inclination increases, the normal force also increases.

What is the relationship between the normal force and the weight on an inclined plane?

The normal force is equal in magnitude to the weight of the object on the inclined plane. This means that the normal force and weight are directly proportional to each other.