Additive that can be used in cleaning water and detergent

In summary: A white grease that is designed to protect electrical connections against corrosion. It is also waterproof and has a dielectric strength of 40,000 volts per meter. It is equipped with a spray any way valve and extension tube.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can anyone tell of an additive that can be used in cleaning water
and detergent, that will help prevent corrosion of electrical connections
contacts etc, this may seem a strange question, as the obvious
thing to do is not get them wet in the first case, but this impractical
as the cost in hermetically sealing the same would be prohibitive.
all these contacts, connections are already in high ip rated enclosures
but the water still gets in.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oil...?

You could use gold plated connectors --- long as there aren't too many halides running around in the water --- or cyanide --- or other nasties.

wolram said:
Can anyone tell of an additive that can be used in cleaning water and detergent, that will help prevent corrosion of electrical connections
contacts etc,

Can you tell me a little more about this application? I deal with this sort of thing frequently.

A few intial thoughts that cover most situations:

Apply white [electronics] grease on all connections. This usually protects the contacts with an occasional re-application.

What is the enclosure rating? There are quite a few ratings for water exposure. Some are only for drip, others are for submersion in up to 100 feet of water or more. I have seen high voltage plugs good to 1000 feet of water.

High absorbtion materials - silicate gel packs - are often used to handle fairly minor moisture problems. These can absorb a tremendous amount of water for the weight.

Install an indirect drain tube on the enclosure - a double elbow allows water to drain but no direct blast can get in.

by Ivan Seeking
Can you tell me a little more about this application? I deal with this sort of thing frequently.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for reply ivan, I have been unable to use the net for a while so sorry for long
delay.
All enclosures are ip 67 with little chance of increasing due to cost, nearly all are
inside mach guards, so water cannot sprayed onto them directly, all the cable
entry points are from below via cable glands.
the plant is washed every night with normal tap pressure water, diluted detergent is applied seperatly from a bucket.
All the enclosuer door seal are in good condition, so it amazes me how much water
gets into them.

Then I see these as your best options; depending on cost and what you can spend of course:

Put a silicate gel pack in each affected enclosure. Of course you might try one or a few and see how long they last.

Check with the enclosure manufacturer for any upgrade kits for better waterproofing. A simple, inexpensive seal change might solve the problem. Some mnfctrs offer this I think; at least some once did.

Use liberal quantities of white electrical grease on all exposed connections. Make sure that this has the high dielectric value and is rated for use on high voltage electrical.

You might consider putting a 3/16 drain hose on each enclosure. When combined with white grease and gel packs should this prevent any damage.

Could the problem be due to condensation and not leakage? Do the enclosures experience radical temperature fluctuations from day to night?

Thanks, Ivan.
as this plant is for fresh food we can not use any lubricant that is not "food safe",
i did find a aerosol spray that fit the requirements for low voltage 24v equipment,
but it corroded, I have even had to replace cables that had corroded below the
insulation for a good six inches.
So without going to hermetically sealed cabinets, i thought an additive in the water
may be possible, and that it would neutralise any chemical attack..

There is food grade white grease. I will try to find a source.

i thought an additive in the water
may be possible, and that it would neutralise any chemical attack..

If you can find such a thing...I would expect that your solution would neutralize the detergent action as well. Detergents are a base; this is why they work. Still, I have only had a year of chemistry so I don't mean to sound authoritative on the subject.

Edit: What are they using that is so corrosive? I have worked in chicken processing plants that don't have this problem; nothing worse for sterilization problems - Listeria! Is there any chance of using a less corrosive agent?

Last edited:
Here are a couple of sources to consider. I really think something like this is your best option; unless the criteria can be changed.

Lubricant/Demoisturant
The ultimate in general purpose lubricants, this transparent, ultra-thin lube ensures maximum moisture displacement. Rust-preventive film inhibits orrosion and penetrates to release frozen or corroded parts.

• USDA Authorized
• Dielectric Strength 40,000 VPM
• Equipped with Spray Any Way valve and extension tube

http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=2631

Di-Electric Grease
Unique, non-curing silicone compound used for electrical sealing, lubricating,
protection and insulating. Di-Electric Grease waterproofs electrical connections and
components to protect against arcing due to moisture and other contaminants.

• Improves electrical performance during adverse conditions
such as rain, fog, salt spray and temperature extremes
• Meets FDA regulation CFR 21-175.300 (release agent) and
CFR 21-178.3570 (lubricant, incidental food contact)
• Excellent lubricant for rubber and plastic parts

Silicone Dielectric Grease
Super Lube® silicone lubricant is specially formulated to meet the special requirements for the auto and agricultural industries.

• NSF H1 rated for incidental contact with food • High dieletric strength
• Safe on plastic and O-rings, will not react with rubber
• Prevents freezing, retards corrosion • Temp. range: -40°F to 500°F

http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF/PDF04/2641.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks Ivan.
The di-electric grease sounds perrrrfect for my predicament, i will get
some on order pronto, by the by, i won't take all the glory for reduced
down time, i will mention your name and PFs.

Great! I hope it works and makes you look good. :biggrin:

Note that several compounds are available. You also might try contacting CRC [the manufacturer] directly. Tell them exactly what chemicals you are using and they might be able to suggest a best option.

Hey, did you ever find those spark plugs? If you ever get a chance I would love to see a picture of them.

Still looking Ivan, I've just come across two tins of Prats motor
oil and spare plugs for a Levice we have recently sold, so i
must be getting close.

1. What is an additive that can be used in cleaning water and detergent?

An example of an additive that can be used in cleaning water and detergent is sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda. It is a natural and environmentally friendly option for cleaning and can help remove odors, stains, and grease.

2. How does the additive work in cleaning water and detergent?

The alkaline nature of sodium bicarbonate helps to break down dirt and grime, making it easier for detergents to lift them from surfaces. It also helps to neutralize acidic substances, balancing out the pH levels in water and improving the effectiveness of detergents.

3. Is the additive safe for use in cleaning water and detergent?

Yes, sodium bicarbonate is generally considered safe for use in cleaning water and detergent. However, it is important to use it in moderation and avoid mixing it with other cleaning products, as it can cause a chemical reaction that may release harmful fumes.

4. Can the additive be used in all types of water and detergents?

The additive can be used in most types of water, including tap water and hard water. It is also compatible with various types of detergents, including liquid, powder, and eco-friendly options.

5. Are there any other benefits of using this additive in cleaning water and detergent?

In addition to its cleaning properties, sodium bicarbonate can also help to soften water and reduce the amount of detergent needed for effective cleaning. It can also act as a natural deodorizer, leaving a fresh scent after cleaning.