A liquid/Gas simulation with Comsol Multiphysics

In summary: Your problem is not related to moving mesh. You are using the wrong variable in your expression for the interface. You need to use variables for the internal rotating walls and the external walls of the shell. Also, you need to use a different boundary condition for the interface. Try using the following boundary condition: No slip.
Comsol_STKM
Dear Friends !

I would really need Your help. I am currently simulating the temporal development of an interface between liquid and gas, by using Comsol Multiphysics.

The problem can be simplified in terms of a rotating central liquid pick up (a small rotating cylinder endowed with an internal Archimedean screw), which rotates inside a bigger vertical cylinder. 30% of this cylinder is full of liquid, the upper part is full of gas.

I have tried to solve the problem in this term:

1. Two phase flow, laminar, level set (chns) + Moving Mesh (ALE).

2. BOUNDARY CONDITIONS for Two phase Flow Laminar level Set:

For internal rotating walls : no_slip_CW

For the External walls of the shell: No slip

For the interface: Initial interface

Stabilisation method: (GLS)

3. Subdomain SETTING for the moving mesh:

FREE DISPLACEMENT

BOUNDARY CONDITIONS TO PREDICT THE ROTATION OF THE MESH:

ROTATE CW: Internal rotating Structure;

FIXED: External Shell

THIS IS THE ERROR I GOT:

Error: 7300
Pointwise constraints for time-derivatives are not supported.

Can somebody help me ?

Thank You, in advance !
Christiano

Attachments

• Picture_for_Physics_Forum.jpg
    Picture_for_Physics_Forum.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 849
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would say its the boundary conditions of your moving mesh. since the walls are no slip internally, do you have it properly coupled? Double check your vairables in your expressions as well, you may be using one that is in the incorrect frame.

http://comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/970/

use chp 16 in ur modeling guide

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx, Bruno

Hi, I´m working right now with COMSOL as a part of a school project at my collegue. I'd like to know if you were able to solve your problem related to moving mesh and two phases.

I´m trying to simulate the churning effect of oil for a single gear inside a box, but I check some of boundary conditions are similar to the ones that I´m using... if you can give a little help of how you solve your problem it will be awesome...

Regards,

Jesus

1. What is Comsol Multiphysics and how does it work?

Comsol Multiphysics is a software platform used for modeling and simulating physical systems, such as liquids and gases. It uses a finite element method to solve complex equations and provide accurate results. Users can input their own equations and parameters to create custom simulations.

2. Can Comsol Multiphysics simulate both liquids and gases?

Yes, Comsol Multiphysics has modules specifically designed for simulating both liquids and gases. The Fluid Flow module is used for simulating liquids, while the CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) module is used for simulating gases. Both modules have a variety of built-in physics interfaces and solvers to accurately simulate different scenarios.

3. What types of boundary conditions can be applied in a liquid/gas simulation with Comsol Multiphysics?

Comsol Multiphysics allows users to apply a variety of boundary conditions to their simulations, such as inflow/outflow, pressure, velocity, temperature, and more. Users can also create their own custom boundary conditions using the built-in programming language, known as the Comsol Script.

4. How accurate are the results from a liquid/gas simulation with Comsol Multiphysics?

The accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the inputs and the complexity of the simulation. Comsol Multiphysics uses advanced solvers and algorithms to provide accurate results, but it is always recommended to validate the results with experimental data or other simulation software.

5. Can Comsol Multiphysics be used for real-life applications?

Yes, Comsol Multiphysics is widely used in various industries for real-life applications, such as designing and optimizing chemical processes, developing new medical devices, and improving energy efficiency in buildings. Its ability to handle complex and multiphysics simulations makes it a valuable tool for many engineering and scientific applications.