No One to Talk To? Try These Distractions Before Midterms

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the protagonist is bored and lonely and has been using sugary cereal as a sensorimotor distraction. They wonder if they could find something else to play with and find a toy store. They chat with someone on a Saturday night, but they are left alone when the person goes to bed. They then chat with someone on Sunday and are glad to hear that the protagonist is studying.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
So I'm spending the weekend catching up on homework and studying before midterms next week. After a few days straight of studying, I need some small distraction to keep my sanity. Chatting with someone usually works, but no one is around. I can't imagine what these people are doing away from the internet on a Saturday night, but I think it was very inconsiderate of them to leave me alone. What can I do now? I don't know if music will be enough. Someone come talk to me! Ahhh! My book is alive! Oh, wait. False alarm. It just seemed to be moving for a second there.

Physics news on Phys.org
PF is open 24/7. :biggrin:

There is also a chat on Sunday ~ 1100-1700 EST.

I used to have this happen when I was in school. Most of my friends had normal, 9-to-5 type jobs, and a student's hours are so variable. If no one was around and I needed a study break, I would go for a jog.

Yeah, I love to run, but I already went running for an hour around sunset.

I'm snacking on sugary cereal now. It's a pretty good sensorimotor distraction. I wonder if I could find some kind of toy to play with, like a slinky but more complex.

honestrosewater said:
I'm snacking on sugary cereal now. It's a pretty good sensorimotor distraction. I wonder if I could find some kind of toy to play with, like a slinky but more complex.
K'nex - http://www.knex.com/ :biggrin:

or order a pizza or kung pao chicken with cashews, not peanuts :tongue2:

If I had a better net connection I would offer to argue and/or flirt with you until homework would be the less annoying option. :wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
If I had a better net connection I would offer to argue and/or flirt with you until homework would be the less annoying option. :wink:
Mission accomplished. :tongue2:

honestrosewater said:
Mission accomplished. :tongue2:

Glad I could be of service ma'am. :biggrin:

Hi Rachel!
Glad to see you!:smile:
Oh great to hear that you're studying at school/university!

TheStatutoryApe said:
I would offer to argue and/or flirt with you

I'd like to hear that. It's probably be best to settle that before going too far, otherwise you get "you're gorgeous...or possibly ugly".

1. What are some effective distractions before midterms?

Some effective distractions before midterms include exercise, spending time with friends and family, reading a book, watching a movie or TV show, and trying a new hobby or activity.

2. How can distractions help during midterm season?

Distractions can help during midterm season by giving your mind a break from studying and allowing you to recharge. This can help improve your focus and productivity when you do return to studying.

3. Is it important to take breaks during midterm season?

Yes, it is important to take breaks during midterm season. Your brain needs breaks in order to process and retain information effectively. Taking breaks can also help prevent burnout and improve your overall mental well-being.

4. Can distractions be harmful during midterm season?

Distractions can be harmful during midterm season if they are excessive and prevent you from studying and preparing for exams. It is important to find a balance between taking breaks and staying focused on your studies.

5. Are there any distractions that should be avoided during midterm season?

Some distractions that should be avoided during midterm season include excessive social media use, binge-watching TV shows, and procrastination. These distractions can easily consume a lot of time and prevent you from effectively preparing for exams.