What does it take to be a Community College Algebra professor?

In summary, it is possible to teach at a community college with a masters degree in math, but you may need to have completed a year of masters coursework before they will consider you as an adjunct.
brightpromis3
Just as the thread title says, what does it take?
The reason why I am asking this is because I've been a math tutor for the past 2 years and I actually enjoy helping and tutoring students with algebra. Algebra is definitely my strongest subjects that I tutor and people find that I make most of the concepts much clearer and easier to understand. I am actually a Civil Engineering major and completed all the math that is required (Calculus 1,2,3, Differential Equations and Linear Algebra). I plan on minoring in math once I transfer because the minor only requires two more courses at the university. But back to the question, I was wondering if I would be able to teach Algebra even though I will receive a degree in Engineering. Is it possible? What should I do? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert on this topic, but I was under the impression that community colleges expect at least a Master's degree in subjects where a Master's degree is available.

First, there is a difference between a community college instructor and a community college professor. The former is a low-paid, often part-time position, and the latter is full-time, tenure track, and somewhat less poorly paid: but much harder to get. The local community college has one physics professor (the department head) and 9 instructors. In mathematics the department is larger, but they have many, many part timers: virtually all are local high school teachers looking to supplement their income by teaching a class at night.

Professors require a PhD. Most, if not all, instructors have a MA/MS.

Community colleges require at least a masters degree to teach. You don't necessarily need a masters degree in math to teach math, but you DO need a minimum number of credits in math at the masters level to teach anything above remedial math courses at the college level. Not all people with masters degrees are teaching part-time at community colleges - both my aunt and uncle teach at a large CC in NY, and they're both tenured professors with only masters degrees in their fields (and they're making more than some of the professors at my state university).

eri said:
Community colleges require at least a masters degree to teach.

I don't think this is quite true. Maybe it's different in different areas. I know a couple people who were teaching math part time at a community college but who were in school to get a master's because they needed it to teach full time (and they subsequently couldn't hack the basic classical analysis course and dropped it; reach whatever conclusions you wish).

OK, I'll rephrase. A community college will expect a masters degree or more to be hired full-time, but many will hire you as an adjunct after completing a certain amount of masters coursework in the field you want to teach. But the ones in my area (which admittedly have rather low standards) still expect at least a year of masters coursework before they'll consider you as an adjunct.

1. What qualifications are required to become a Community College Algebra professor?

To become a Community College Algebra professor, you typically need to have a master's degree in mathematics or a related field. Some colleges may also require a doctorate degree. In addition to academic qualifications, you should have a strong understanding and knowledge of algebra, excellent communication skills, and teaching experience.

2. What is the job outlook for Community College Algebra professors?

The job outlook for Community College Algebra professors is positive, with a projected growth of 9% from 2019 to 2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the increasing demand for higher education and the retirement of current professors.

3. What are the primary responsibilities of a Community College Algebra professor?

A Community College Algebra professor's primary responsibilities include teaching algebra courses, developing lesson plans, grading assignments and exams, holding office hours for student assistance, and participating in curriculum development and faculty meetings. They may also be involved in research and publishing academic papers.

4. What skills are essential for a Community College Algebra professor?

Apart from strong mathematical skills, a Community College Algebra professor should also possess excellent communication and teaching skills. They should be able to explain complex concepts in a way that is easy for students to understand, be patient and approachable, and have a passion for teaching and helping students succeed.

5. What opportunities for advancement are available for Community College Algebra professors?

Community College Algebra professors can advance in their careers by pursuing a doctorate degree and becoming full-time professors at a four-year institution. They can also take on leadership roles within their department, such as becoming a department chair or program coordinator. Additionally, they can publish research and attend conferences to further their expertise and reputation in the field.