Electric Fields x-component problem

In summary, in the first quadrant, the x-component of the net electric field is always positive. In the third quadrant, the x and y components of the field are always negative, regardless of the direction of the charge.
masamune
1) In the first quadrant (x > 0, y > 0), the x-component of the net electric field is:

always positive.
always negative.
sometimes positive and sometimes negative.

2) In the third quadrant (x < 0, y < 0), the x-component of the net electric field is:

always positive.
always negative.
sometimes positive and sometimes negative.

For the first part, I explained that in the first quadrant, the x and y components of the field are both positive and so the net electric electric field will always be positive. Conversely, in the third quadrant, the x and y components of the field are always negative and so the net electric field will always be negative. Is my rationale correct? Refer to the attached pic btw if you have no clue what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
Get in the habit of stating the problem clearly. I'm guessing that the picture is meant to show a positive charge Q placed in what was a uniform electric field in the +x direction? And the problem refers to the net field?
masamune said:
For the first part, I explained that in the first quadrant, the x and y components of the field are both positive and so the net electric electric field will always be positive.
All they ask about is the x-component, so that's all you need consider. But, yes, both contributions to the net field are positive, so your answer is correct.
Conversely, in the third quadrant, the x and y components of the field are always negative and so the net electric field will always be negative. Is my rationale correct?
No. The uniform field has a positive x-component, but the field from the charge is negative. But the magnitude of the field from the charge varies with distance. Think it over again.

sorry about that doc. you assumed correctly though. thanks for your help

1. What is an electric field x-component problem?

An electric field x-component problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the x-component of an electric field at a specific point in space. It often involves using mathematical equations and principles to determine the strength and direction of the electric field.

2. How is the x-component of an electric field calculated?

The x-component of an electric field can be calculated using the formula Ex = (k * Q * x) / r^3, where Ex is the x-component of the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge creating the electric field, x is the distance between the charge and the point in space, and r is the distance between the charge and the point in space.

3. What units are used to measure the x-component of an electric field?

The x-component of an electric field is typically measured in Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).

4. How does the x-component of an electric field affect charged particles?

The x-component of an electric field can exert a force on charged particles, causing them to accelerate in the x-direction. The direction of the force is determined by the sign of the charge and the direction of the electric field.

5. What factors affect the x-component of an electric field?

The x-component of an electric field is affected by the strength of the charge creating the field, the distance between the charge and the point in space, and the direction of the electric field. It is also influenced by any other charged particles in the vicinity, as well as any intervening materials that may alter the electric field.