Stuck on this simple physics problem.

In summary, two buses are traveling in the same direction at constant speeds of 42 km/h and 54 km/h, respectively. The buses are initially 18 km apart. The formula used to solve for the time it takes for the second bus to catch up to the first is x/v1 = (x+18)/v2, where v1 and v2 are the speeds of the first and second bus, respectively. The time can be solved by finding the value of x using the given values for v1 and v2.
pokeefer

Homework Statement

Two buses are moving at constant speeds, in the same direction, the first at 42 km/h and the second at 54 km/h. They are 18 km apart. How long will it take the second bus to catch up to the first? (4 marks)

Homework Equations

average velocity = d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok well first I tried to make a table of the graph but then I remembered that they were 18 km apart so then I had to rethink and I'm still really stuck on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
When they catch up, the first bus moves through x km and second bus moves through x + 18 km, and they must have taken the same time to cover that distance.

Can you proceed now?

What would be a formula that could solve for this?

Or do I have to use a table?

Velocity = x/t. So t = x/v.

Since t is the same

x/v1 = (x+18)/v2

v1 and v2 are given. Solve for x.

I understand that the key to solving any problem is to first clearly define the variables and equations involved. In this case, we have two buses moving at constant speeds, so we can use the equation for average velocity, which is distance divided by time. We also know that the buses are 18 km apart and that the second bus is trying to catch up to the first.

To solve this problem, we need to consider the relative motion between the two buses. Since they are moving in the same direction, the second bus is trying to close the distance between them. This means that the relative velocity between the two buses is the difference between their speeds, which in this case is 54 km/h - 42 km/h = 12 km/h.

Now, we can use the equation for average velocity to determine the time it will take for the second bus to catch up to the first. We know that the distance between the two buses is 18 km, and the relative velocity between them is 12 km/h. Therefore, we can set up the following equation:

18 km = (12 km/h) x t

Solving for t, we get t = 18 km / 12 km/h = 1.5 hours.

So, it will take the second bus 1.5 hours to catch up to the first bus. I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. Remember, when solving physics problems, it is important to clearly define the variables and equations involved and to consider the relative motion between the objects. Keep practicing and you will become more confident in solving these types of problems.

1. What is the problem asking me to solve?

The first step in solving any physics problem is understanding what the problem is asking you to find. This could be a specific value, equation, or concept. Read the problem carefully and identify what information is given, what is unknown, and what equations or concepts may be relevant.

2. How do I approach solving the problem?

After understanding what the problem is asking, it is important to have a clear plan for solving it. This may involve drawing a diagram, listing known and unknown variables, and selecting appropriate equations to use. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What equations should I use?

The equations used to solve a physics problem depend on the given information and what is being asked to find. It is important to have a strong understanding of the relevant equations and how to apply them. If you are unsure, refer to your class notes or textbook for guidance.

4. How do I check my answer?

It is always important to double check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and accurate. This can be done by plugging your answer back into the original equation or by using estimation techniques. If your answer seems off, revisit your steps and calculations to find any errors.

5. What should I do if I am still stuck?

If you are still struggling to solve the problem, don't be afraid to ask for help. You can consult with your classmates, teacher, or a tutor for guidance. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Remember, practice makes perfect, so don't get discouraged and keep working on challenging physics problems.