Lava Resistant Suit: A Crazy Encounter with Extreme Heat?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary, these people are crazy for doing what they did-- descending into a live volcano-- and the video is scary to watch.
waht
These people are crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAxj2ob_JoU&feature

Physics news on Phys.org
That's scary to watch :eek:. What volcano is it?

lisab said:
That's scary to watch :eek:. What volcano is it?

You will never see anyone closer to a volcano than this..., Our team in Vanuatu ab seiled 500 vertical metres into the Marum Volcano on Ambrym Island to the very edge of a huge lake of violently boiling lava - live via sat phone 20 Sept 2010

Proton Soup said:
You will never see anyone closer to a volcano than this..., Our team in Vanuatu ab seiled 500 vertical metres into the Marum Volcano on Ambrym Island to the very edge of a huge lake of violently boiling lava - live via sat phone 20 Sept 2010

Lol, I have my speakers muted :redface:

lisab said:
Lol, I have my speakers muted :redface:

it's not in the audio. click the player at the end, it opens a new tab at youtube, and you read the accompanying text.

That's scary to watch

ohh, I thought you had 1200 watt surround and subwoofer system enabled when you played this clip on max setting.

oh hell!
One lifetime experience it is!
Bad that the volcano didnt burst out..:evil:

What was the point? Were they doing some research?

A crew consisting of Kiwi vulcanologist Geoff Mackley descended into the Marum volcano on South Pacific's Ambrym Island,

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Crew+descends+into+live+volcano+comes+away+with+spectacular+video/3623535/story.html#ixzz11TXOH2uJ

Longer video - - by Geoff Mackley

Apparently there are plans to descend further into the volcano. Given that rocks seem to fall from the sides of the crater, that is probably not a wise thing to do.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/hot-video-extreme-climber-drew-bristol-filmed-inside-marum-volcano/story-e6frfqer-1225934046460

http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/en/vanuatu/ambrym/news.html

Geoff Mackley's site - http://www.rambocam.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Je m'appelle said:
What was the point? Were they doing some research?

They were prototyping reflective suits so Frodo wouldn't get quite so singed next time he destroys the ring of power.

It's ok, he's wearing a lava resistant suit. If he falls in, he'll just swim around a while and then climb out.

Yeah... Sure he will.

yup! a good day's swim!

It's ok, he's 40% dolomite!

JaWiB said:
It's ok, he's 40% dolomite!

he is?:confused:

:rofl:

In a silver heat-proof suit, Bristol is seen using ropes to lower himself down into the volcano towards the fiery lake. He then pitches a tent 500m down the inside of it while using oxygen canisters to breath.

"He is about 100m from the surface of the lava which is certainly close enough for him to require a protective suit," he said.

That is absolutely amazing that they can get that close. And they are planning to get closer? :eek: I :!)love:!) lava, and would do ALMOST anything, but that is nuts.

I was 3 meters away from lava once (a small amount oozing out of a crack), and that was HOT. I can't imagine being a football field away from a lake. Even WITH the suit.

Although, then again..... If I were to be diagnosed with cancer and told I had a month left to live, I would say good bye and go join them in a heart beat. What a way to go, huh?

I am green with envy.

leroyjenkens said:
It's ok, he's wearing a lava resistant suit. If he falls in, he'll just swim around a while and then climb out.

I'll pay to see that video!

1. What is lava?

Lava is molten rock that erupts from a volcano or fissure in the Earth's crust. It is extremely hot, with temperatures ranging from 1,300 to 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. How close can you get to lava?

The distance you can safely be from lava depends on several factors, such as the type of lava, its temperature, and the terrain. Generally, it is recommended to stay at least 1,000 feet away from lava flows to avoid getting burned or injured.

3. What happens when lava touches water?

When lava comes into contact with water, it can cause explosive reactions. The rapid cooling of the lava can also create a type of rock called pillow lava, which has a distinctive rounded shape.

4. Can you walk on lava?

No, it is not possible to walk on lava. Lava is extremely hot and can reach temperatures that would instantly vaporize any person who attempted to walk on it. Additionally, the surface of lava is often unstable and can collapse under a person's weight.

5. How long does it take for lava to cool?

The cooling time for lava can vary greatly depending on its thickness and composition. Thin lava flows can cool in a matter of hours, while thicker flows may take weeks or even months to cool completely. The lava also continues to lose heat over time, so it may stay hot for a long time after it has stopped flowing.