Calculating Friction and Acceleration for a Grocery Cart on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem involves a grocery cart being pushed with a force of 450 N at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal, with a mass of 42 kg. The force of friction must be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force, which is found by adding the vertical component of the force applied to the cart to the weight of the cart and groceries. This is done because the cart is on an incline and the resultant force in the vertical direction must be zero. The horizontal force and friction can then be determined using the normal force.
anna sung

Homework Statement

a grocery cart is being oused with a force of 450 N at an angel of 30degree to the horizontal. if the mass of the cart and groceries is 42kg.

a) calculate the force of friction if the coeffcient of friction is 0.60.

b) determine the acclecration of the cart.

Homework Equations

a) it is the 30 degree angel from the handle to the cart.
but i don't understand why you need to do 450sin(30) and add it by Fn=412.02N

The Attempt at a Solution

Ff= muFn
450sin (30)= 225N

Fn=mg
Fn= (42)(9.81)
= 412.02N

Fn= 225N + 412.02N
Fn= 637.02N
ff= 637.02N * 0.60
= 3.8 x 10^2 N

i got the answer but why do u need to find the vertical component and add it to Fn . what does the vertical component represent? and why does this give you FN?
please help me :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're on an incline, Fn no longer equals mg, but rather mgcosx, use that in your Ff equation.

anna sung said:
i got the answer but why do u need to find the vertical component and add it to Fn . what does the vertical component represent? and why does this give you FN?
please help me :-)

Vertically there is the weight acting downwards, the normal reaction upwards and the vertical component.

Since the resultant in the vertical direction is zero, then Fn+Fy-component=mg

wait so is it like the force going downward + normal force = Ff?
oh so we are finding the force acting downward because the handle is floating . not on the surface.
do you understand what I am saying? so it this number like replacing Fg?
i think I am understand it but still little confused. thanks for help everyone.

anna sung said:
wait so is it like the force going downward + normal force = Ff?
oh so we are finding the force acting downward because the handle is floating . not on the surface.
do you understand what I am saying? so it this number like replacing Fg?
i think I am understand it but still little confused. thanks for help everyone.

Not at all.

In your free body diagram, vertically, there would be the normal force acting upwards and the weight acting downwards.

Since you did not state whether or not the 30 degrees was above or below the horizontal, I am assuming it is above which means that the vertical component points upwards as well.

The sum of the forces point up = sum of the forces pointing down.

Only 1 force is point down which is the weight, mg.

oh i understand what u are saying. I am really sorry but i still don't get why you have to add
Fn with the vertical force . please don't give up on me.

anna sung said:
oh i understand what u are saying. I am really sorry but i still don't get why you have to add
Fn with the vertical force . please don't give up on me.

As is, without splitting anything up. Do you agree that the forces acting are the normal force (up), the weight (down) and the force on the handle (at 30° to the horizontal)?

Now if we take the force on the handle acting at 30° to the horizontal, you can split this up into two forces, a vertical force (acting upwards) and a horizontal force. The horizontal force causes the cart to move forward.

Does the cart move up or down? It does not, meaning that the vertical forces point up = vertical forces pointing down.

i am so sorry. but if the cart doesn't move down or up then doesn't that mean you have to use horizontal force?

would the diagram look like this?
↑Fn
↑vertical force
(object)
↓ mg

anna sung said:
i am so sorry. but if the cart doesn't move down or up then doesn't that mean you have to use horizontal force?

Horizontally, there is that horizontal force and friction. In order to find the value of the friction, you need the normal force. That is why we are considering vertical motion at the moment.

oh okay thanks you so much!:) o:)

1. What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This is expressed as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. How do Newton's Laws apply to a cart question?

In a cart question, Newton's Laws can be used to explain the motion of a cart on a ramp or incline. The force of gravity acts on the cart, causing it to accelerate down the ramp. The normal force from the ramp counteracts this force, allowing the cart to maintain a constant velocity.

4. What are some real-life applications of Newton's Laws?

Newton's Laws have many real-life applications, including explaining the motion of objects on Earth and in space, designing structures and vehicles, and understanding the behavior of fluids. They are also used in sports, such as calculating the trajectory of a ball in motion.

5. How do Newton's Laws relate to each other?

Newton's Laws are interrelated and build upon each other. The First Law sets the foundation for the Second Law, which in turn leads to the Third Law. They all work together to explain the behavior of objects in motion and how forces affect that motion.