It's not like 50 yr. olds who were in the army 20 years ago are being forced to war.

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Army Years
In summary, Scott McClellan is Bush's press secretary. He is 64 years old and was recently called up for duty in Hawaii. He is going to serve as a military pharmacist and will only have to worry about his hospital or whatever getting blown up by terrorists. He is not being called to Afghanistan to fight, but to be a military pharmacist.
wasteofo2
My mom works as a Physical Therapist at a children's hospital. The head pharmacist at the hospital was in the Army Reserves, and completed his required duty over 20 years ago, he's now in his early 50's. He just recently was called up for duty and sent an email to everyone at the hospital saying he's now stationed in Hawaii, and in about 3 months will be flying over to Afghanistan.

Yeah, things are going great, we've got plenty of guys over there, no problems, things are getting better every day...

[edit]Just to clarify things, he's not being called to Afghanistan to fight, but to be a military pharmacist. He's going to serve as a pharmacist. He probabally won't be shot at, he'll only have to worry about his hospital or whatever getting blown up by terrorists.[/edit]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thats brutal. I think this kind of thing is what should be getting more media attention. Not interviews with soldiers who don't want to go back, then bush supporters just say its media bias. This is the kind of thing that'll swing the populous.

Smurf said:
Thats brutal. I think this kind of thing is what should be getting more media attention. Not interviews with soldiers who don't want to go back, then bush supporters just say its media bias. This is the kind of thing that'll swing the populous.
But nooooooooo, Scott F*CKING MCCLELLAN will just say "Being negative and being a naysayer has never won a damned war, now shut up!"

For the Canucks, Scott McClellan is Bush's press secretary.

I've heard of a 64 yr old that was called up for duty in Iraq - I think he's probably there by now.

wasteofo2 said:
But nooooooooo, Scott F*CKING MCCLELLAN will just say "Being negative and being a naysayer has never won a damned war, now shut up!"

For the Canucks, Scott McClellan is Bush's press secretary.

I once had hope for you. That post may appeal to the Omins and the Smurfs of the world, but few others. I know you’re very capable, show it.

Anyone that can listen to Scottie for 2 minutes without throwing up last night's dinner, probably skipped dinner last night.

now that you've said that I think I'm going to go find something of his to read. See what I think.

GENIERE said:
I once had hope for you. That post may appeal to the Omins and the Smurfs of the world, but few others. I know you’re very capable, show it.
WHAT?!?

Are you telling my that reasonable, fair people WOULDN'T criticize Scott McClellan? If you're trying to say that by criticizing McClellan I'm some sort of fringe/radical leftist, then fine, classify me that way, McClellan is scum.

waste, don't blame poor Scottie. He only works for the Communications Director, Dan Bartlett, and can only say what he's supposed to. Let's not kill the messenger. We may puke, but we must not stab. :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
waste, don't blame poor Scottie. He only works for the Communications Director, Dan Bartlett, and can only say what he's supposed to. Let's not kill the messenger. We may puke, but we must not stab. :biggrin:
Yeah, and Herr Goring was just doing what he was told too...

Godwins Law, Wasteofo2 loses :biggrin:

There's a corollary that says : He that invokes Godwin in a debate is the one that loses because he's got nothing else to say - or something like that.

Oh god, I didn't even know what Godwin was before this thread, don't I get one "get out of jail on ignorance" card?

I think that Republicans just made up that damned condition becuase they're so Nazi like...

Gokul43201 said:
There's a corollary that says : He that invokes Godwin in a debate is the one that loses because he's got nothing else to say - or something like that.
Does that apply to a third party? (me) :biggrin:

I've only ever heard a Any attempt to end an argument by the invokation of Godwins Law will be unsuccessfull

but I try anyways.

wasteofo2 said:
My mom works as a Physical Therapist at a children's hospital. The head pharmacist at the hospital was in the Army Reserves, and completed his required duty over 20 years ago, he's now in his early 50's. He just recently was called up for duty and sent an email to everyone at the hospital saying he's now stationed in Hawaii, and in about 3 months will be flying over to Afghanistan. [/edit]
I think maybe we need to clarify this a little: he didn't "complete his required duty 20 years ago," but rather has been paid for the past 20 years for the possibility that he could be called up today. He is not was in the Army reserve. He is what is called an "inactive reservist."

I've heard a lot of these sob-stories. I bet they weren't complaining while they were collecting their paychecks and/or benefits for the past 20 years.

hmmm. If that's true that changes things. Reservists don't become inactive when they're 50??

Smurf said:
hmmm. If that's true that changes things. Reservists don't become inactive when they're 50??
It depends on your contract. Most people sign up for 3-6 years of enlistment with several years of inactive reserve afterwards, for a total of 8 years of service. Beyond that, it gets more complicated (frankly, I don't fully understand it) - there are some special jobs where you can still get paid as a semi-active reservist without the need to drill as a typical reservist. You can stay in that position for quite a long time if you choose to.

Well It still shows how stretched US forces are that they have to pull on these 50 year old men. but If they're getting paid and its optional then I don't have any Moral Objections to it.

You do not get paid for inactive reserve, or at least did not when I was on inactive reserve after completing my 4 yr enlistment. Pay is only for those on ACTIVE reserve. I am surprised that they are calling up inactive reserve.

Why is one labeled unpatriotic for discussing the troubles we are encountering in Iraq?

Integral said:
Why is one labeled unpatriotic for discussing the troubles we are encountering in Iraq?
I don't think I used that word, but what I don't like is people who complain about fulfilling obligations they signed up for. I saw it a lot in the Navy and its no less wrong for an inactive reservist (or whatever these guys are) than it is for someone in active duty.

1. What does "It's not like 50 yr. olds who were in the army 20 years ago are being forced to war" mean?

This statement means that just because someone was in the army 20 years ago and is now 50 years old, they are not automatically being forced to go to war. It is a generalization that is not necessarily true.

2. Is there a specific age or time period when individuals are forced to go to war?

No, there is no specific age or time period when individuals are forced to go to war. It depends on the specific circumstances and needs of a country or military.

3. Can someone who served in the army 20 years ago still be called to go to war?

Yes, it is possible for someone who served in the army 20 years ago to still be called to go to war. This can happen if there is a need for experienced soldiers or if the individual is still an active member of the military.

4. Are there any exceptions to the age or time requirements for being called to war?

Yes, there are exceptions to the age or time requirements for being called to war. This can include medical exemptions, conscientious objectors, or other special circumstances.

5. How does the military determine who is called to war?

The military determines who is called to war based on a variety of factors, including current needs, skills and experience of individuals, and overall readiness of the military. Age and previous service may also be taken into consideration.