Unit tanget outward normal vector and greens thrm

Sorry!In summary, the conversation is about using H(x,y) = <x^2/4, y^2/9, xy> in the region E where 9x^2+4y^2<=36, and using the work counterclockwise on R=<2cost, 3sint> from -pi<=t<=pi. The questions are about finding the unit tangent and outward normal vectors with respect to t, and using Green's Theorem to find the amount of work needed to stop a particle moving in the opposite direction. The conversation also briefly touches on finding the flux of a vector with respect to t.
kekal6
H(x,y)=<x^2/4,y^2/9,xy> the region E is 9x^2+4y^2<=36
also wat is given is the work is counterclockwise on R=<2cost,3sint> from -pi<=t<=pi
wat the questions are what is the unit tangent the outward normal vector with respect to the region E in terms of t. for the unit tangent i think its <(2cost)/sqrt(13),(3sint)/sqrt(13)>. i don't know if i did that right. i don't know where to start for the normal vector question though. also, i need to use greens thrm to find the amount of work needed to stop it if a particle was to move in the opposite direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
kekal6 said:
H(x,y)=<x^2/4,y^2/9,xy> the region E is 9x^2+4y^2<=36
also wat is given is the work is counterclockwise on R=<2cost,3sint> from -pi<=t<=pi
wat the questions are what is the unit tangent the outward normal vector with respect to the region E in terms of t. for the unit tangent i think its <(2cost)/sqrt(13),(3sint)/sqrt(13)>. i don't know if i did that right. i don't know where to start for the normal vector question though. also, i need to use greens thrm to find the amount of work needed to stop it if a particle was to move in the opposite direction.

Well, if r(t) = <2 cos(t), 3 sin(t)>, then the unit tangent vector is r'(t) / |r'(t)| and the unit normal vector is r''(t) / |r''(t)|. Use those to help you.

okay i got that part now the greens thrm one. my book only has it in terms of x and y but i have a feeling itd be easier using the R(t) one. the best it describes it is to do the integral of -pi to pi of F(r(t))dotr'(t) dt but i do not understand wat it fully means by the F(r(t)).

Remember that r(t) = <x(t), y(t)>. so F(r(t)) = <x(t)^2/4, y(t)^2/9, x(t)y(t)>. That's what it means. Then plug in what you have for x(t) and y(t). You know what they are, right?

ok i ended up getting 2sint+3cost the next little problem though is over that interval i get 0. should i just take the it from 0 to pi and multiply it by 2?

kekal6 said:
ok i ended up getting 2sint+3cost the next little problem though is over that interval i get 0. should i just take the it from 0 to pi and multiply it by 2?

Why is it such a problem to get 0? I'm thinking 0 might be the right answer here. Your function certainly isn't symmetric across z=0...

ok sounds good. just a short quick push on flux if u can answer. I am supposed to do the double int to the surface s of vector f dot n. can i do that with respect to the t or do i have to change it all the way back to x and y

kekal6 said:
ok sounds good. just a short quick push on flux if u can answer. I am supposed to do the double int to the surface s of vector f dot n. can i do that with respect to the t or do i have to change it all the way back to x and y

You should be able to do it with respect to t... but now you're getting into topics I'm not sure about.

1. What is a unit tangent outward normal vector?

A unit tangent outward normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a curve, or surface, at a specific point and points in the direction of the outward normal. It has a magnitude of 1 and is used to determine the direction of motion or force on the curve or surface.

2. How is the unit tangent outward normal vector calculated?

The unit tangent outward normal vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the unit tangent vector and the unit normal vector. The unit tangent vector is the derivative of the curve or surface at a specific point, and the unit normal vector is the normalized gradient of the curve or surface at that point.

3. What is the significance of the unit tangent outward normal vector in physics?

The unit tangent outward normal vector is important in physics as it helps determine the direction of motion or force on a curve or surface. It is also used in calculating work, energy, and flux in various physical systems.

4. What is the meaning of the term "outward" in the unit tangent outward normal vector?

In the context of the unit tangent outward normal vector, "outward" refers to the direction in which the vector points. It indicates the direction away from the surface or curve, as opposed to inward, which would point towards the surface or curve.

5. How is the unit tangent outward normal vector used in Green's Theorem?

In Green's Theorem, the unit tangent outward normal vector is used to convert a line integral around a closed curve into a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. This allows for easier calculation of the line integral by using properties of double integrals. The unit tangent outward normal vector is needed to determine the orientation of the boundary of the region being integrated over.