Gravitational Collapse of a Star

In summary, the Sun loses a lot of mass over time, but is constantly supported by the pressure of the furnace. When the furnace cools down, the effect is much more catastrophic than the continuous loss of a small amount of mass.
Michel_vdg
Hello,

I was reading a book on Quantum Mechanics by Manjit Kumar, and read at the part of the Bohr–Einstein debates about Einstein's box to measure the weight of a photon.

Now I was wondering, how can a Star collapse if it's constantly losing so much weight?

200px-Ebohr4.gif

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello Michel! :smile:
Michel_vdg said:
… how can a Star collapse if it's constantly losing so much weight?

Loosely speaking, the "furnace" in the middle is supplying the pressure that stops it collapsing.

When the furnace starts to cool down, that has a far more catastrophic effect than the continuous loss of a small amount amount of mass. :wink:

And to put things into perspective, the amount of mass a star like our Sun loses in a billion years is about 6/100000 of its mass.

Ok, thanks!

An other slightly similar question: If gravity is a force, than doesn't the Sun also loose a lot of weight, keeping in mind the law of conservation of energy. Like if I want to keep a heavy weight from falling to the ground, I have to keep on burning a lot of calories before I let go and it falls, or is that also just a very tiny percentage?

Michel_vdg said:
Ok, thanks!

An other slightly similar question: If gravity is a force, than doesn't the Sun also loose a lot of weight, keeping in mind the law of conservation of energy. Like if I want to keep a heavy weight from falling to the ground, I have to keep on burning a lot of calories before I let go and it falls, or is that also just a very tiny percentage?

The reason that you burn calories holding a weight has to to do with the way muscles work. If you were to lay the object on a table, the table would also keep the object from falling to the ground, but uses up no energy in doing so.

For similar reasons a helicopter hovering a few feet off the ground burns fuel supporting its weight and will eventually fall, but a platform could support the same helicopter indefinitely and never use up any part of itself.

Janus said:
The reason that you burn calories holding a weight has to to do with the way muscles work. If you were to lay the object on a table, the table would also keep the object from falling to the ground, but uses up no energy in doing so.

For similar reasons a helicopter hovering a few feet off the ground burns fuel supporting its weight and will eventually fall, but a platform could support the same helicopter indefinitely and never use up any part of itself.
But if there is no gravity the helicopter could be lifted with a little puff, so a lot of force is applied to hold it down.

Michel_vdg said:
But if there is no gravity the helicopter could be lifted with a little puff, so a lot of force is applied to hold it down.

Force is not energy. Energy is force times distance. In other words, if I apply a force in moving an object across a distance I expend energy, but if I apply a force without moving it, no energy is involved.

Lifting a weight a distance against the pull of gravity uses energy. Merely suspending it at a set height does not.

The Earth does not expend any energy holding the helicopter down.

Janus said:
Force is not energy. Energy is force times distance. In other words, if I apply a force in moving an object across a distance I expend energy, but if I apply a force without moving it, no energy is involved.

Lifting a weight a distance against the pull of gravity uses energy. Merely suspending it at a set height does not.

The Earth does not expend any energy holding the helicopter down.
But if you have an apple hanging on a tree it could keep on hanging there forever if no constant force or energy was applied, so gravity is constantly pulling. The same thing happens when you drop a coin in water, it keeps on falling to the bottom, the difference with the table is just that the structure of water is more flexible.

And if you say that 'Force is not Energy', isn't that the same as saying that 'Energy is not Mass' while E=mc^2 is thought of as the Mass–energy equivalence.

Michel_vdg said:
And if you say that 'Force is not Energy', isn't that the same as saying that 'Energy is not Mass' while E=mc^2 is thought of as the Mass–energy equivalence.

The difference is that the c^2 is a universal constant, while the d in E=fd is a variable.

Janus said:
The difference is that the c^2 is a universal constant, while the d in E=fd is a variable.
Thanks for your replies Janus.

I think for a layman the difference between Energy and Force is hard to get, so I googled a bit, and guess where I ended, yep ... PhysicsForums.com :smile:

And more specific https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=7356"

And I liked this quote:

Also important: there is a "conservation of energy" law. There is no "conservation of force". In order to lift an object with weight 1 Newton a height of 1 meter, I MUST do 1Newton* 1 meter= 1 Joule of work. But if I use an inclined plane instead of lifting it straight up, I can reduce the force necessary.

I'm still slightly confused ... I'll have to give it some time :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Energy and force are not the same thing. Force requires energy, energy does not require force.

Chronos said:
Energy and force are not the same thing. Force requires energy, energy does not require force.
mh, now you are bringing the confusion back regarding my original question; if the sun is getting lighter (as in weight) because it is using up energy to apply gravitational force.

Chronos said:

I'm confused :confused:

surely we're talking about change in energy?

And change in energy requires a force and a movement of the point of application of that force.

the core is also becoming denser

Michel_vdg said:
mh, now you are bringing the confusion back regarding my original question; if the sun is getting lighter (as in weight) because it is using up energy to apply gravitational force.

The Sun does not burn fuel to manufacture gravity. Gravity is a property that is associated with mass, and doesn't require renewal. Analogously, electrons do not grow lighter with time in order continuously 'manufacture' their electric fields. If they did, we'd see electrons of a whole continuum of mass values depending on their individual ages. We don't see that; all electrons ever measured, even those newly created in particle accelerators, have the same charge, and the same mass.

gneill said:
The Sun does not burn fuel to manufacture gravity. Gravity is a property that is associated with mass, and doesn't require renewal. Analogously, electrons do not grow lighter with time in order continuously 'manufacture' their electric fields. If they did, we'd see electrons of a whole continuum of mass values depending on their individual ages. We don't see that; all electrons ever measured, even those newly created in particle accelerators, have the same charge, and the same mass.

If that is the case than gravity is probably an outer body property, like a ball that bounces of a wall ... and it might be like Descartes postulated a screw-like particle, perhaps like the rotating knot in the image below, that moves like light through space, having a screw-like wave property that pushes surrounding matter (mass) down, and bouncing back of mass. Is such an idea acceptable, or how is the 'graviton' that is often mentioned thought of?[PLAIN]http://www.800million.org/images/800.gif

Michel_vdg said:
If that is the case than gravity is probably an outer body property, like a ball that bounces of a wall ... and it might be like Descartes postulated a screw-like particle, perhaps like the rotating knot in the image below, that moves like light through space, having a screw-like wave property that pushes surrounding matter (mass) down, and bouncing back of mass. Is such an idea acceptable, or how is the 'graviton' that is often mentioned thought of?

There is as yet no standard, accepted theory or model for the graviton. I am not aware of any observational evidence that would make one necessary or enable one to distinguish between competing models (other than rule out models that make obviously 'bad' predictions that are self contradictory or fail to obey various conservation laws or other laws of physics). The Le Sage type models of particle-based gravity (gravity as the result of a pressure of a space-filling 'gas' of particles), for example, fail on a number of counts.

General Relativity, a classical model, is the best we have so far, and as yet there are no observational contradictions to its predictions. That said, we expect there to be difficulties reconciling gravity and quantum behavior at scales where both need to be considered. It would certainly be nice to have gravity unified with quantum theory so that they would form a single coherent model for the universe.

gneill said:
That said, we expect there to be difficulties reconciling gravity and quantum behavior at scales where both need to be considered. It would certainly be nice to have gravity unified with quantum theory so that they would form a single coherent model for the universe.

What about Stephen Hawking's look on gravity, isn't there a consensus that they work in regard to Quantum theory?
Hawking's analysis became the first convincing insight into a possible theory of quantum gravity. In September 2010, Hawking radiation has been claimed to be observed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation"

An "insight into a possible theory" is not a theory (complete predictive mathematical model).

I think that there are some interesting hints and glimpses of what will go into such a theory, but we're not there yet.

1. What is the process of gravitational collapse of a star?

The process of gravitational collapse of a star occurs when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and can no longer maintain its internal pressure. This causes the star to collapse under its own gravity, leading to a catastrophic event known as a supernova.

2. What happens to a star during gravitational collapse?

During gravitational collapse, a star's core becomes incredibly dense and hot, causing it to fuse heavier elements and release a tremendous amount of energy. This energy generates an outward force, creating a shockwave that blows off the outer layers of the star.

3. Can a star survive gravitational collapse?

In most cases, a star cannot survive gravitational collapse. The immense pressure and heat generated during this process are too great for the star to withstand. However, some smaller stars, such as white dwarfs, can survive the collapse and become neutron stars.

4. What is the end result of gravitational collapse?

The end result of gravitational collapse depends on the mass of the star. For larger stars, the end result is a black hole, where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape. For smaller stars, the end result may be a neutron star or a white dwarf.

5. How does the gravitational collapse of a star contribute to the formation of new stars?

The material expelled during a supernova explosion from a collapsing star can provide the necessary ingredients for the formation of new stars. This material, rich in heavy elements, can create new star-forming regions and contribute to the growth of galaxies.