Angular speed of rod with 2 masses seems EZ but NOT

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating rod with two sliding rings. The question is to determine the angular speed of the system when the rings reach the ends of the rod. The solution involves calculating the moment of inertia for the initial and final positions of the rings, and applying the conservation of angular momentum. The conversation also addresses potential mistakes in the calculations.
Elbhi
:cry: Why can't I get this obviously KE is conserved so I use
I(initial) x Angular speed(initial)=I(final) x Angular speed(final)

A uniform rod of mass 3.05×10-2kg and length 0.440m rotates in a horizontal plane about a fixed axis through its center and perpendicular to the rod. Two small rings, each with mass 0.230kg are mounted so that they can slide along the rod.
They are initially held by catches at positions a distance 4.90×10-2m on each side from the center of the rod, and the system is rotating at an angular velocity 25.0 rev/min. Without otherwise changing the system, the catches are released, and the rings slide outward along the rod and fly off at the ends.

What is the angular speed of the system at the instant when the rings reach the ends of the rod?

I have tried so many different combinations of inertia and still I am not getting the right answer

I know angular velocity (final)=( I(initial)xAngular velocity(initial) ) / I(final)

For I initial I think I=1/12 (M)(L^2)+ MR^2 of the two masses giving me

1) FOR ROD 1/12(3.05×10-2kg)( 0.440m)^2

2) FOR 2 Masses 2(0.230kg)( 4.90×10-2m^2)

3) I add 1 & 2 together then multiply by 25rev/min.

4) For I(final) since the masses are now at the end of the rod, the inertia of the rod changes to 1/3MR^2

5) I add 4 to 2 and I think that should get me I(final)

6) divide 3/5

Am I on the right track at least! Appreciate any feedback thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I just skimmed this, but I couldn't help noticing you said:
Elbhi said:
1) FOR ROD 1/12(3.05×10-2kg)( 0.440m)^2

2) FOR 2 Masses 2(0.230kg)( 4.90×10-2m^2)

3) I add 1 & 2 together then multiply by 25rev/min.

4) For I(final) since the masses are now at the end of the rod, the inertia of the rod changes to 1/3MR^2

5) I add 4 to 2 and I think that should get me I(final)
In (4) you need to compute a new I for the rings, not the rod, and then add the value for (4) to (1) to get I(final). Right?

Maybe, on the other hand, you just said it wrong and did it right ... I didn't actually grind numbers, sorry.

BTW, Elbhi, you're talking about conservation of angular momentum and NOT conservation of kinetic energy.

What is the definition of angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a central point. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) and is the magnitude of the angular velocity vector.

Why is calculating the angular speed of a rod with 2 masses more complicated than it seems?

Calculating the angular speed of a rod with 2 masses involves taking into account both the masses and their distribution along the rod, as well as the rod's length and moment of inertia. This makes the calculation more complex than simply considering the masses as point particles.

How is the angular speed of a rod with 2 masses different from the linear speed of the masses?

The angular speed of a rod with 2 masses refers to the rotational motion of the rod as a whole, while the linear speed of the masses refers to their individual linear motion along the rod. They are related through the equation v = rω, where v is the linear speed, r is the distance from the center of rotation, and ω is the angular speed.

What factors can affect the angular speed of a rod with 2 masses?

The angular speed of a rod with 2 masses can be affected by the masses of the objects, their distribution along the rod, the length and moment of inertia of the rod, and any external forces acting on the system. Friction and air resistance may also play a role in slowing down the rotation of the rod.

How can the angular speed of a rod with 2 masses be measured experimentally?

The angular speed of a rod with 2 masses can be measured using a tachometer, which measures the rotational speed of an object. Alternatively, the number of rotations per unit time can be counted and used to calculate the angular speed. Additionally, the angular speed can be calculated using the equation ω = Δθ/Δt, where Δθ is the change in angular position over a certain time interval Δt.