Anti-matter/matter combination.

In summary, matter and anti-matter annihilation results in the creation of energy in the form of photons. However, in a vacuum, only light energy is produced as there is no matter for kinetic or heat energy to act upon. The same experiment with deuterium and anti-deuterium results in complete annihilation into photons. Black holes cannot be made from matter or anti-matter as they are collapsed into a singularity, and photons do not have a gravitational field. The idea of a black hole made of photons is nonsensical.
Geezer said:
Am I really the only one who doesn't understand what's going on in this thread?

Not at all. I got involved only because of the absurdity of what I was reading in reference to the very subjects that you mentioned. I know a reasonable bit about black holes and antimatter, and I know that gravitons are merely hypothetical. The attempt to make a Pangalacticgarbleblaster out of them just struck me as too weird to ignore.
(And I am embarrassed to admit that I don't know anything about the Casimir effect. I've heard of it, of course, but never investigated it.) Isn't that the base concept of the ZPM's in the "Stargate SG1" and "Stargate Atlantis" shows?
That's not a put-down, just a point of curiosity. I honestly don't know whether or not that is a possible resource.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for a quick recap on the things being discussed, since some have trouble following.

the first question asked was about what would happen in the event of 1 black hole being combined with 1 black hole which originated from the collapsed star made of anti-matter, both being of equal proportion, and assuming the matter and anti-matter in each singularity is still able to work while under the immense pressure.

the answer concluded was the black holes size would double from the 2 into 1, however from the outside no change would occur, on the inside it would be nothing but photons, however the amount of photons created from 2 such objects would not be enough to sustain the same gravity, hence there must be extra gravity created. wether these are just a field, force or a hypothetical particle called a graviton is unknown, but gravity must be made in some form.

the second question was: if you can force the anti-matter and matter to completely act with each other through electro-magnetics or whatever you like other then a black hole could the complete reaction of the 2 charge apposed materials then create photons and gravity.

no one wanted to answer the question or provide any sort of rational reason on what would occur so i simply went on without them.

i then suggested, if gravity is left over maybe we could use it through some yet unknown application of physics.

and as this is a question waiting for people to provide their physics knowledge as to why or why not a anti-matter and matter combination would or would not create gravity, this topic is following the forum rules under quote "There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound."
Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question except 1 which is not asked, i am asking about in depth knowledge in regards to a matter anti-matter combination, if you know the answer please fill me in.

and as for the person who said there are only 2 ways to exploit a black hole, can you not also use it as a battery in the sense of using the hawking radiation it gives off as a power source. unless that's what you meant by ergosphere.

hakon said:
on the inside it would be nothing but photons, however the amount of photons created from 2 such objects would not be enough to sustain the same gravity, hence there must be extra gravity created. wether these are just a field, force or a hypothetical particle called a graviton is unknown, but gravity must be made in some form.

Why do you assume that a black hole made from a collapsed star will contain anything other than a singularity on the inside? Moreover why would an equal amount of photons not have the same gravity as the mass that annihilated to make it?

the second question was: if you can force the anti-matter and matter to completely act with each other through electro-magnetics or whatever you like other then a black hole could the complete reaction of the 2 charge apposed materials then create photons and gravity.

no one wanted to answer the question or provide any sort of rational reason on what would occur so i simply went on without them.

i then suggested, if gravity is left over maybe we could use it through some yet unknown application of physics.

A few fallacies here, first as has been adequately explained it would be difficult to completely annihilate Am/M because the resultant blast would knock some of the as yet annihilated Am/M away.

The next fallacy you make is to presume that your previous proposal (that the gravity well of the resultant photons would not equal that of the previous mass) is true. This leads you to erroneously claim that there is something missing that is creating gravity and then suggest that we could use this unknown to create directional and hyper-powered gravity for artificial gravity purposes.

this topic is following the forum rules under quote "There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound."
Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question except 1 which is not asked, i am asking about in depth knowledge in regards to a matter anti-matter combination, if you know the answer please fill me in.

Your arguments are not intellectually sound; You claim that photons created from the annihilation of matter do not account for strength of the gravity field created. Yet you provide no evidence from this other than repeating yourself. You state,

the real question is: is there gravity left over or is the gravity=photons, experiments suggest that 2 photons are produced from a electron and proton combining, but that would mean the gravity is less then the original product, so it is only logical to think extra gravity must be produced.

but this just shows your misunderstanding. For a start the antiparticle to a proton is an antiproton and the antiparticle of the electron is a positron.. Secondly you claim that the photons cannot account for the gravity yet do not explain why.

It is also not intellectually sound to claim that we have a gap in our knowledge and then fill that gap with claims regarding strengthening and directing gravity.

hakon said:
however the amount of photons created from 2 such objects would not be enough to sustain the same gravity, hence there must be extra gravity created. wether these are just a field, force or a hypothetical particle called a graviton is unknown, but gravity must be made in some form.

I have the same question, why do you say that the photons would not have the same amount of gravity as the black hole had before? How did you come to that conclusion? Everything is stuck in the black hole and assuming they can still react to make photons in the singularity, none of it gets lost.

i come to this conclusion based on we know that up to 2 photons are made when an electron and a positron are annihilated together, 2 photons do not have the same mass as 1 electron and a positron, atleast from figures i have seen.

I found which of the theories for black holes is the 1 i am basing this on. It is:
A singularity in solutions of the Einstein field equations
and it is one of two things:
a situation where matter is forced to be compressed to a point (a space-like singularity)
a situation where certain light rays come from a region with infinite curvature (time-like singularity)

so effectively from my understanding putting 2 black holes (1 of matter origination and 1 of anti-matter origination) together, the black hole would go from a space like singularity to a time like singularity.

According to Penrose however: The energy condition required for the black-hole singularity theorem is weak: it says that light rays are always focused together by gravity, never drawn apart, and this holds whenever the energy of matter is non-negative.

So here we have 1 black hole with light focused together and 1 where light is spread apart, this would leave us with a black hole consisting of photons with a charge neither negative or positive. leaving us with a result that would not make sense.

(of course both singularities would have to be the exact mass and composition)

hakon said:
i come to this conclusion based on we know that up to 2 photons are made when an electron and a positron are annihilated together, 2 photons do not have the same mass as 1 electron and a positron, atleast from figures i have seen.

A photon may not have mass, but it still has energy and can curve spacetime. No need to have "extra gravity created" whatever you mean by that.

hakon said:
So here we have 1 black hole with light focused together and 1 where light is spread apart, this would leave us with a black hole consisting of photons with a charge neither negative or positive.

Why would one black hole focus light and the other diverge light? Anti-matter behaves just like ordinary matter, even in a gravitational field. Both such black holes are going to "focus" light.

so your suggestion is that the photons left behind create a singularity comprised of a time warp where t=infinity rather then a singularity of gravity G=infinity.

hakon said:
so your suggestion is that the photons left behind create a singularity comprised of a time warp where t=infinity rather then a singularity of gravity G=infinity.

I can't even make sense of this. If the original mass is dense enough to form a black hole then it will. If you annihilate Am/M then you may create a black hole from the blast concentrating photons into one dense area but I don't see what you mean by photons left behind, time warp, and the rest.

The question was what evidence do you have to support the claim that the photons produced from annihilation have less of a gravitational effect than the original mass?

ryan_m_b said:
I can't even make sense of this.

Don't even try. I've read through this thread a few times and it makes less sense to me now than it did before. Perhaps if I were tripping acid or something, I'd "get" it...

Geezer said:
Don't even try. I've read through this thread a few times and it makes less sense to me now than it did before. Perhaps if I were tripping acid or something, I'd "get" it...

I'm confused as to who and what some posts are replying to. Like you I've re-read a few times to see if I'm not getting anything but enlightenment isn't coming :confused:

ryan_m_b said:
I'm confused as to who and what some posts are replying to. Like you I've re-read a few times to see if I'm not getting anything but enlightenment isn't coming :confused:

Yup and yup.

Using a Positronium as my example.
the mass of 1 electron is 9.10938291(40)×10−31 kg
the mass of 1 positron is 9.10938291(40)×10−31 kg

The two particles annihilate each other to produce two gamma ray photons after an average lifetime of 142 ns in vacuum.

leaving behind 2 photons, whose mass is so near 0 we say they have <1×10−18 eV

1 MeV: is about twice the rest mass-energy of an electron.

hence what is produced does not equal what we started with, 1+1 is not equaling 2, so where does the mass go?

hakon said:
hence what is produced does not equal what we started with, 1+1 is not equaling 2, so where does the mass go?

The destroyed mass was converted to energy à la Einstein. And since energy can cause spacetime to bend, the black hole is still there.

hakon said:

The two particles annihilate each other to produce two gamma ray photons after an average lifetime of 142 ns in vacuum.

The mass of a photon is not "near 0", it is 0. Photons are massless. The contribution to mass comes from the energy of a photon, this follows e=mc2.

ryan_m_b said:
This follows e=mc2.

That ^^ might be a little too much math for this guy to handle.

Hakon, I have no idea of your age or educational background, so I have to flat-out ask you—do you actually know what a "singularity" is? It does not seem so from your posting.

a singularity is a place where the gravity field is infinite.
which is in normal cases created by a blue star going super nova and then collapsing in on it's self, however can be created hypothetically on a smaller scale.

one thing I'm not sure on, does the speed of light remain a constant inside a singularity, or is that unknown at this stage?

hakon said:

To my understanding, relativistic mass is the total energy divided by c^2. If you annihilate antimatter with matter, you create energy E = mc^2 and since energy itself has mass, and energy and mass are equivelent by the formula E = mc^2, the relativistic mass of the photons is E/c^2 = mc^2/c^2 = m; meaning the photons you end up with and the particles you started with have the same mass. I don't know where you took the mass of the photons, it depends on the energy they have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass–energy_equivalence

hakon said:
a singularity is a place where the gravity field is infinite.

That's technically incorrect. A singularity is a mathematical anomaly due to the coordinate system chosen. It's not a physical entity. To describe the physics inside a singularity, you'll have to make some sort of coordinate transformation.

Geezer said:
It's not a physical entity.

That's why it's so damed weird: it isn't a physical entity, but its existence and effect upon neighbouring matter are very real. The easiest way that I can think of it is that it is a 5-dimensional (or more) object that 4-dimensional brains are trying to understand.

And Hakon, I'm sorry that I missed this before—the ergosphere is indeed the region of a BH that is responsible for Hawking radiation (hair), but it isn't restricted to pure energy interactions. If you drop a load of garbage from your hypothetical ship within that region, you can absorb more energy than you give away, for a net gain that can be huge.

hakon said:

In a low energy collision, the rest mass of the electron and positron PLUS any kinetic energy is converted into momentum distributed evently between two photons. Each photon has about 511 KeV of momentum with more depending on the amount of kinetic energy each particle had before annihilation.

<h2>1. What is anti-matter/matter combination?</h2><p>Anti-matter/matter combination refers to the process of combining equal amounts of matter and anti-matter particles, resulting in the annihilation of both particles and the release of energy in the form of gamma rays.</p><h2>2. How is anti-matter/matter combination studied?</h2><p>Scientists study anti-matter/matter combination by creating and trapping anti-matter particles in specialized facilities, such as CERN's Large Hadron Collider. They then collide these particles with matter particles and observe the resulting energy and particles produced.</p><h2>3. What is the potential application of anti-matter/matter combination?</h2><p>Anti-matter/matter combination has the potential to be used as a powerful energy source, as the annihilation of matter and anti-matter produces a large amount of energy. It could also be used in medical imaging and cancer treatments.</p><h2>4. Is anti-matter/matter combination dangerous?</h2><p>While anti-matter/matter combination does produce a large amount of energy, it is currently not dangerous as scientists are able to control and contain the process in specialized facilities. However, if anti-matter were to come into contact with matter in our everyday world, it could be dangerous as it would result in a large explosion.</p><h2>5. Can anti-matter/matter combination be used for space travel?</h2><p>Some scientists believe that anti-matter/matter combination could be used for space travel in the future, as it has the potential to produce large amounts of energy in a small amount of space. However, there are currently many technical challenges and limitations that need to be overcome before this can become a reality.</p>

1. What is anti-matter/matter combination?

Anti-matter/matter combination refers to the process of combining equal amounts of matter and anti-matter particles, resulting in the annihilation of both particles and the release of energy in the form of gamma rays.

2. How is anti-matter/matter combination studied?

Scientists study anti-matter/matter combination by creating and trapping anti-matter particles in specialized facilities, such as CERN's Large Hadron Collider. They then collide these particles with matter particles and observe the resulting energy and particles produced.

3. What is the potential application of anti-matter/matter combination?

Anti-matter/matter combination has the potential to be used as a powerful energy source, as the annihilation of matter and anti-matter produces a large amount of energy. It could also be used in medical imaging and cancer treatments.

4. Is anti-matter/matter combination dangerous?

While anti-matter/matter combination does produce a large amount of energy, it is currently not dangerous as scientists are able to control and contain the process in specialized facilities. However, if anti-matter were to come into contact with matter in our everyday world, it could be dangerous as it would result in a large explosion.

5. Can anti-matter/matter combination be used for space travel?

Some scientists believe that anti-matter/matter combination could be used for space travel in the future, as it has the potential to produce large amounts of energy in a small amount of space. However, there are currently many technical challenges and limitations that need to be overcome before this can become a reality.