Crystal Diffraction: The Mystery of (1 1 1) Plane in Lattice SC, BCC, and FCC

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining diffraction in 3 lattice structures (sc, bcc, and fcc) when given the plane (111). It is mentioned that calculating the structure factor for each structure will determine if there is diffraction, with the reminder that a plane will always produce diffraction regardless of the lattice type. The conversation ends with the problem being solved and gratitude expressed towards those who helped.
dirac68
Hi, this is my first post.
I have a problem to solve:

"Given the plane (1 1 1) of 3 lattice sc, bcc and fcc, says in which case there is diffraction"

I hope that someone helps me...
Thanks for helpers

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to calculate the structure factor of the (111) for the 3 structures. The one(s) with non-zero structure factors will produce diffraction a line.

A plane will always give rise to diffraction, irrespective of the type of lattice.

nasu said:
You have to calculate the structure factor of the (111) for the 3 structures. The one(s) with non-zero structure factors will produce diffraction a line.

Yes, it's right. I found the solution! Thank you!

What is crystal diffraction?

Crystal diffraction is a phenomenon in which a beam of radiation, such as X-rays, is scattered by the regularly arranged atoms of a crystal. This scattering pattern can provide information about the arrangement of atoms within the crystal.

How does crystal diffraction work?

Crystal diffraction works because the regular spacing of atoms in a crystal causes constructive and destructive interference of the scattered radiation, producing a pattern of bright spots and dark areas. This pattern is known as a diffraction pattern and can be analyzed to determine the structure of the crystal.

What is the purpose of crystal diffraction?

The purpose of crystal diffraction is to determine the atomic structure of a crystal. This information is important in many fields such as materials science, chemistry, and biology, as it can help scientists understand the properties and behavior of crystals.

What are the applications of crystal diffraction?

Crystal diffraction has many applications, including materials characterization, protein and enzyme structure determination, drug design, and mineral identification. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as semiconductors and pharmaceuticals.

What are the key components of a crystal diffraction experiment?

The key components of a crystal diffraction experiment include a source of radiation, such as X-rays or electrons, a crystal sample, and a detector to capture the diffraction pattern. The angle and intensity of the diffracted radiation are also important factors in analyzing the crystal structure.