Solve Volume of Revolution Problem: y=x^{-2} to y=e Rotating Around Y-Axis

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of the region between the curves y=x^{-2} and y=e when rotated around the y-axis. The formula for this volume is V=\pi \int_{1}^{e}{\frac{1}{y}-1\; dy}. There is some confusion about the placement of the inner and outer radii, but the simplest method is to calculate the volume of the cylinder from y=0 to e and subtract the volume generated by the unwanted area between y=1/x^2, y=e, and x=1. This results in a final answer of 2\pi cubic units.
vilhelm
Problem
The area between [tex]y=x^{-2}[/tex] and x=1 & y=e is rotating around the y-axis. What is the volume?

Attempt
[tex]\pi\left( r_{outer\mbox{}} \right)^{2}\; -\; \pi \left( r_{inner\mbox{}} \right)^{2} \; \; \; \delta y[/tex].
[tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}=y\; gives\; \frac{1}{y}=x^{2}\; and\; r=\sqrt{y}[/tex]
[tex]V=\pi \int_{1}^{e}{\frac{1}{y}-1\; dy}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I assume that the question means the area above the x axis?

Anyway, firstly you must draw the graph. Are you trying to find the volume of the cylinder then subtract the volume not included in the region? If so isn't the x=1 the outer radius? And so then rather the inner radius should then be (1-x)

I find it easier and a nicer integral to just sum the volumes - so calculate the volume generated by the cylinder from y=0 to y=1, and then add to this the volume generated by the curve from y=1 to y=e. Hopefully this helps

Yes, that would be more effective. I am, however, trying to learn this formula, and would like to use it on this problem.

It is indeed the area over the x-axis. The upper bound is e, the right side is x=1, and the third line is x^-2. If you see what I mean…

I don't follow when you say "If so isn't the x=1 the outer radius? And so then rather the inner radius should then be (1-x)"

Sorry for lag reply. Oh my god I've just spent the last 30 min scribbling furiously away at my desk because I was getting different answers from 2 different methods and didn't know why. When I did your way I got it wrong because the algebra was more complicated. So YEAH I really recommend just doing it the simplest way.

I shall now guess what you're trying to do. Are you trying to find the volume of the cylinder from y=0 to e made by a rotation, and subtract from this the volume generated by the unwanted area (between y=1/x^2, y=e and x=1)?

Okay, if so, what you've done is switch the 1 and 1/y. When you draw the diagram (draw a nice big one!), you will see that x=1 is the OUTER radius, and the inner radius is x.
So an infinitesimal thickness disc would have volume [tex]dV = \pi (1^2-x^2)dy[/tex]. Now since [tex]x=\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}}[/tex], then simply complete the integral, subtract this from the area of the cylinder, and the answer should be [tex]2\pi[/tex] cubic units!

1. How do I find the volume of revolution for this problem?

To find the volume of revolution for this problem, you will need to use the formula V = π∫(upper limit)^2 - (lower limit)^2 dx. In this case, the upper limit is e and the lower limit is 1. You will also need to use the formula y = x^-2 to represent the function.

2. Can I use any method to solve this volume of revolution problem?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to solve this problem, such as the disk method or the shell method. The choice of method will depend on the shape of the curve and the axis of rotation.

3. How do I know which axis to rotate around?

The axis of rotation is determined by the problem or scenario given. In this case, the problem states that we are rotating around the y-axis, so that is the axis we will use in our calculations.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help with solving the integral and calculating the volume. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculation in order to accurately solve the problem.

5. Can I visualize the problem to better understand it?

Yes, visualizing the problem can be helpful in understanding the concept of volume of revolution. You can use graphing software or draw a rough sketch to see the shape of the curve and the resulting solid after rotation. This can also help in determining the limits of integration.