Thorium alternative to nuclear fuel

In summary, there are several obstacles to using thorium as an alternative nuclear fuel, including lack of experience with materials that can handle molten salts, safety concerns with circulating liquid fuel, and the requirement for on-site reprocessing which poses a risk of proliferation. However, there are efforts being made to address these issues and countries like India and China are actively pursuing the use of thorium in nuclear power plants. In the US, political and regulatory barriers make it difficult to exploit thorium as a fuel source.
encorp
http://www.ted.com/talks/kirk_sorensen_thorium_an_alternative_nuclear_fuel.html

I was impressed by the video; but I was left thinking "What are the downsides?" and "so why haven't we done this already?" - and as such I feel like there's something missing here.

Could anyone with more knowledge on the matter explain to me in layman terms as to why this is not how we get our power?

-Cam

Engineering news on Phys.org
The obstacles are:
1) lack of experience in materials that can handle molten salts at high temperatures for long periods of time
2) safety issues with circulating liquid fuel and fission product barriers to prevent release
3) safety issues with circulating liquid fuel and reactivity control
3) requirement to use high enriched uranium/plutonium
4) requirement to have on-site reprocessing (proliferation risk)
5) NRC inability to consider alternative nuclear technology that falls outside of their PWR/BWR pigeonhole

That being said I like the idea and hope the technology will make a comeback in the future.

Thanks for your reply.

(Also, apologies for posting in the wrong forum. My mistake. Thanks mods, for moving.)

I can see how most of those issues could be addressed fairly easily over time, except maybe the proliferation (4) one.

QuantumPion, all except 3 and 4 are valid. These are addressed in Sorensen's talks.

The most valid point here is 1, and it was one of the difficulties of the MSRE experiment. At the time graphite was used but today we have much better materials such as copper-reinforced graphite fiber.

There is no reason why it wouldn't work, imo. Sorensen's company, Flibe energy, is undertaking research to see if it can make the LFTR a reality. India is also doing a lot of research seeing as they have a lot of natural thorium deposits.

Wonderful, that seems a bit less doom and gloom.

I don't expect technology like this to save the world so to speak, but if there ever was a time we needed it most.. I'd saw now and the near future for sure!

Thanks Itty!

As far as Thorium qua Thorium goes, the ACR is designed to use partial thorium bundles. I don't know that anyone has started using them, but the designs and the testing have been done.
The Chinese are actively pursuing building a full demo LFTR. They are not joking about it, and are putting real money into it.
The Indians have Thorium breeders in build phase, designed to each service 7 more conventional PWR plants. That, BTW, is a huge breeding rate, which Thorium can easily service from a thermal reactor.

One of the issues in the US is that solid Thorium breeders would require a reprocessing facility, and the US model of fissile control is incredibly inefficient at that, and politically the DOE and NRC aren't about to give up any control, no matter how nonsensical it is to maintain it.

So rare Earth mines in the US set aside thousands of tonnes a year of high-grade rare Earth ore because it includes Thorium, because the exploitation of any of it would concentrate the ore tailings above the threshold and be extremely expensive in terms of regulatory cost.

1. What is thorium and how is it different from traditional nuclear fuel?

Thorium is a naturally-occurring element that can be used as an alternative to traditional nuclear fuel, such as uranium. It is more abundant and widely distributed in the earth's crust, making it a more sustainable option. Additionally, the waste produced from thorium reactors is less radioactive and has a shorter half-life compared to traditional nuclear waste.

2. How does a thorium reactor work?

A thorium reactor uses a process called "breeder technology," where thorium is converted into uranium-233 through a series of reactions. The uranium-233 is then used as fuel to produce energy. This process is more efficient and produces less waste compared to traditional nuclear reactors.

3. Is thorium a safer option than traditional nuclear fuel?

While there are still risks involved with any type of nuclear energy, thorium has several safety advantages over traditional nuclear fuel. These include a lower risk of meltdown due to its passive cooling system, reduced risk of nuclear proliferation, and a smaller amount of long-term radioactive waste.

4. What are the potential benefits of using thorium as a nuclear fuel?

Aside from being a more sustainable and potentially safer option, thorium also has the potential to provide a more reliable and consistent source of energy. It has a higher energy density, meaning less fuel is needed to produce the same amount of energy compared to traditional nuclear fuel. It also has the potential to be used in smaller, more decentralized reactors, providing energy to remote areas.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using thorium as a nuclear fuel?

One potential drawback is that thorium is not currently commercially feasible, as it requires further research and development before it can be widely implemented. Additionally, the technology for thorium reactors is not as well-established as traditional nuclear reactors, and there may be higher upfront costs. However, many experts believe that these challenges can be overcome with continued research and investment in thorium technology.