What is the expansion of the universe

In summary, the universe is expanding relative to itself, with all points moving further apart as time goes on. This is observed through the increasing rate of recession of galaxies as we look further back in time. The idea of infinite size does not generate a logical paradox, as potential infinity allows for the addition of more space, while transfinite infinity does not.
Drakkith said:
Space doesn't grow discretely as far as we know. It is a smooth expansion or growth. And according to General Relativity time and space ARE inseparable. Both are described by the same metric.

By discretely I meant that the moment to moment expansion would be much like watching your fingernails grow. And, yes, I know GR states they are inseperable. I was trying to acknowledge that it isn't absolute fact, or that I'm in a position to use a word like "are" to describe them. If at some point they are separated it would change many of the things I was saying. Is it the Wheeler equations that don't involve time??

Space news on Phys.org
salvestrom said:
By discretely I meant that the moment to moment expansion would be much like watching your fingernails grow. And, yes, I know GR states they are inseperable. I was trying to acknowledge that it isn't absolute fact, or that I'm in a position to use a word like "are" to describe them. If at some point they are separated it would change many of the things I was saying. Is it the Wheeler equations that don't involve time??

The way that we perceive the universe is quantum in nature in terms of the information we receive and process. The way we conceptualize the universe tends to be necessarily alegorical. The mathematical allegories of GR , SR and QM are the most accurate-in terms of their corelation to the information we receive and process. SR is an inherent accepted element of QM.
GR is not a perfect fit with QM. To a degree the effective implemental domains of the two are at the two extremes of our perceptions of the universe.
Theoreticians coming from a QM background may meld QM with GR by going to an imeasurable domain beyond fundamental particles and geometries of today.
It is the Wheeler-DeWitt equation you are thinking of. It began with DeWitt.
"Beyond The Standard Model" here in these forums will provide you with months if not years of PDFs on models that follow lines of thinking similar to yours.
Happy reading
mathal

This is off the original topic but I'm a startled bit by the discussion here (a thread split would be a good idea.)

I've always taken it as a given that all physical quantities are finite and moreover I'm not aware of a single counterexample.

I assert there is a general principle (indeed I thought all physicists assume this) that there are upper and lower bounds to all physical quantities. Saying that a quantity is unbounded in any given aspect means that it can't be measured. But that's math/philosophy. In physics we always run into a domain limitation. On the short end is the Planck volume. On the long end is the cosmological size of the universe.

Every physical observable will have a limit above which the physics changes. You can have any classical electric field magnitude. But in the real world there's an upper limit above which you are simply condensing matter. Classically you can have any density you want but in reality you will eventually form a black hole. And so on.

To say that the volume of the universe is without limit is to render it unphysical and give it a mathematical abstractness which nothing physical we know of possesses.

Antiphon said:
Saying that a quantity is unbounded in any given aspect means that it can't be measured.

I think you somewhat misunderstand the concept of unbounded. The length of a straight line on a Mobius stip or on sphere are both unbounded. It is possible that the universe is unbounded in this sense.

I agree that we don't know for sure of anything that is infinite but it does seem possible that the universe is infinite. Unless you can prove that it is not, your logic cannot rule it out just because you don't like the idea.

Antiphon said:
Saying that a quantity is unbounded in any given aspect means that it can't be measured.
No. The surface of the Earth is finite yet unbounded (i.e, it has no boundary, yet its area is quite finite and easily measurable).

This is a 2D example of one possible way that our 3D universe is finite yet unbounded.

Last edited:
Antiphon said:
To say that the volume of the universe is without limit is to render it unphysical and give it a mathematical abstractness which nothing physical we know of possesses.

I disagree.