Semiclassical descriptions of atom-light interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian for the interaction between a free atom and a classical electromagnetic field. The full Hamiltonian includes terms for the internal levels of the atom, the vacuum field, the energy density of the classical field, and the dipole interaction. The question is about how to write the classical energy density term (HE) in a quantum form, which is typically done using the radiation gauge and the vector potential. The conversation also mentions the driven Jaynes-Cummings model and the use of a number operator to incorporate quantum mechanics.
Niles
Hi

Say I want to describe the interaction between a free atom atom and a classical EM field. The full Hamiltonian for the problem must be
[tex]
H = (H_0 + p^2/2m) + (H_V + H_E) + H_D
[/tex]
where H0 denotes the internal levels of the atom, HV the vacuum field, HE the energy density of the classical field and HD the dipole interaction.

My question is regarding HE. I have never seen it written explicitly and have not been able to find a reference where they do so. How would one write this? Is it QM-version of something similar to Poyntings vector?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hamiltonian for a classical drive is something along the line of

[tex]
E(e^{-i\omega t}a^\dagger+e^{i \omega t} a)
[/tex]

I would suggest you look up some info about the driven Jaynes-Cummings model

Last edited:
The usual form for the classical Hamiltonian for the electromagnetic field is the energy density, H = ½(E2 + B2). The easiest way to get to the quantum form is to use the radiation gauge, Φ = 0 and ∇·A = 0, allowing H to be written in terms of the vector potential as H = ½((A·)2 + (∇ x A)2).

Now Fourier transform, A = ∫d3k/√(2ω) ∑ε(k)[a(k)e-ik·x + a*eik·x], where ε(k) are polarization vectors. In terms of a(k) the Hamiltonian reduces to H = ∫d3k ω ∑a*(k)a(k). This is still classical.

Quantum mechanics comes in when you now say that a*(k)a(k) = ħ N(k) where N(k) is the number operator.

Ah, I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I will study your reply in depth.

Best wishes,
Niles.

1. What is a semiclassical description of atom-light interaction?

A semiclassical description of atom-light interaction is a theoretical framework used to describe the interaction between atoms and light in a classical manner, while still incorporating some quantum effects. It combines the classical description of light as an electromagnetic wave with the quantum description of atoms as discrete energy levels.

2. How is a semiclassical description different from a classical description?

A semiclassical description takes into account the quantized nature of atoms, while a classical description treats both light and atoms as continuous systems. This allows for a more accurate description of certain phenomena, such as the absorption and emission of light by atoms.

3. What are some examples of semiclassical models used in atom-light interaction?

Some commonly used semiclassical models include the Jaynes-Cummings model, the Rabi model, and the Bloch equations. These models incorporate both classical and quantum descriptions to accurately describe the interaction between atoms and light.

4. What are the limitations of semiclassical descriptions in atom-light interaction?

One major limitation is that semiclassical models cannot fully capture all aspects of the quantum behavior of atoms, such as entanglement and superposition. Additionally, they are not applicable to very small or very high energy systems, where full quantum mechanical descriptions are necessary.

5. How are semiclassical descriptions used in practical applications?

Semiclassical descriptions are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the development of quantum technologies like quantum computers and quantum sensors. They are also used in the study of quantum optics and in the design of devices such as lasers and atomic clocks.