Water Flow, Mass Flow through 5 Gallon Jug

In summary, the conversation discusses the quest for finding the minimum and maximum mass flow rates for a project, which must be between 1 and 4 gallons per minute. The project involves water flowing out of a 5-gallon jug with the top cut off and into a PVC pipe. The area of the pipe is already set at 1.5 inches, but the velocity of water and diameter of the funnel need to be determined. The conversation also mentions the use of Latex for calculations and suggests using a differential equation due to the varying mass flow. A sketch is requested for better understanding and the use of SI units is recommended for easier unit conversions.
bhaarat316
Here is the run down first, I'm trying to find a min mass flow rate for my project which needs to be 1 GPM, and max 4 GPM. Now water is going out of a 5 gallon jug, that has the top cut off, and the water is flowing into a PVC pipe. The area is already set at 1.5 inches, which I know is to big. I need to find the velocity of water at atm pressure, and then the diameter of the circle which the water will funnel through. I did some work I just need help making sure I did it right, basically a check over. think of it as a Deer Park 5 gallon bottle, like the ones for water dispenser, but the top cut off, and it flowing out the nozzle.

Man how do I use the Latex thing?

So, I know V=[itex]\sqrt{2*19.5 inches * 387.6 inches/s^{2}}[/itex]
V=122.95 inches/sec, 10.245 ft/s = 614.7 ft/min

Now the simple equation of Q=VA

1 GPM->.13[itex]ft^{3}[/itex]/min = 614.7ft/min * A
.03024 in^2 = A(min)
sqrt(.03024/∏)= r(min) = .09811 inches

We would have to reduce our inner diameter to .19622 inches.
Now is this right? I can't believe that? I was initial thinking it would be a DE since our mass flow would be varying, depending the height of the water, gravity would be pushing it through the main system.

Physics news on Phys.org
A sketch would help to understand your calculations.
In addition, SI units would make unit conversions much easier.

I was initial thinking it would be a DE since our mass flow would be varying, depending the height of the water, gravity would be pushing it through the main system.
Based on your description of your system, I think this is true. Probably your 19.5 inches would vary.

mass flow.jpg

gravity will force the water through the tank and I need to figure out what the diameter will be, to get 1 gpm.

What is meant by water flow and mass flow?

Water flow refers to the movement of water through a specific area or volume, while mass flow refers to the amount of mass (in this case, water) that is moving through a given point or area within a certain time frame.

How is water flow and mass flow measured through a 5 gallon jug?

The water flow and mass flow through a 5 gallon jug can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a flow meter or a scale. The flow meter measures the volume of water passing through a specific point, while the scale measures the weight of the water in the jug.

What factors affect water flow and mass flow through a 5 gallon jug?

The rate of water flow and mass flow through a 5 gallon jug can be affected by a number of factors, including the size and shape of the jug, the viscosity of the water, the pressure and temperature of the water, and any obstructions or barriers within the jug.

What is the relationship between water flow and mass flow through a 5 gallon jug?

The relationship between water flow and mass flow through a 5 gallon jug can be described using the equation Q = m/t, where Q represents the flow rate, m represents the mass flow, and t represents the time. This means that the flow rate is directly proportional to the mass flow and inversely proportional to the time.

How can water flow and mass flow through a 5 gallon jug be controlled or manipulated?

Water flow and mass flow through a 5 gallon jug can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the pressure or temperature of the water, changing the size or shape of the jug, or adding obstructions or barriers within the jug to alter the flow rate. Additionally, using a flow control valve or adjusting the flow rate of the water source can also affect the flow through the jug.