Which chemical reactions are possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a series of reactivity to determine whether or not one element can displace another in a compound. The question in the attachment is about an old entrance exam for medical school and the correct answer is B. The conversation also touches on the concept of displacement reactions and suggests searching for more information on Google.
jdoyle
The question in the attachment is from an old entrance exam for medical school. The correct answer is B.

I realize that if I assign a 'point value' to the levels of reactivity for each of the letters i.e. the more reactive the higher the number

T = 1
Q = 2
M = 3
J = 4

and that if the corresponding point value for the added element is less than that of the unknown element (letter) in the original molecule, then the reaction will not take place. For example

This reaction would not take place
MCl2 + T → TCl2 + M

because when substituting the point values for the two unknowns, the value of T<M.
3Cl2 + 1 → 1Cl2 + 3

On the other hand, the following reaction would take place because J>M
MSO4 + J → JSO4 + M

3SO4 + 4 → 4SO4 + 3

My problem is that I don't understand why. Is it because the addition of an element with a lower reactivity will not be able to break the bonds forming the original molecule? I would very much appreciate it if someone could give me an idiot-proof answer:smile:as I want to explain this to my daughter. Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First thing of note - there's no attachment. At least I'm not seeing one.

Based on what you wrote, though, it seems as if it inquires about the chemistry of various salts. Beyond that, I wouldn't want to speculate without the actual question in front of me.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have uploaded the attachment again. I don't understand why it wasn't attached the first time as it was there when I checked the original post.

Thanks ahgain.

John

Attachments

• Chemical reactions question.png
    Chemical reactions question.png
    12 KB · Views: 642
@jdoyle:

Essentially, there is a series of reactivity, which can be used to determine whether or not one element can displace the other in a compound (if you take a look at the reactions on the attachment, there's always one element displacing the other - in the first one, T displaces M for instance). The question gives you the series of reactivities. In a nutshell, a more reactive element will displace a less reactive one.

Search "displacement reactions" on Google and see what you get.

Hi ACut,

Thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Best wishes

John

1. What determines whether a chemical reaction is possible?

The possibility of a chemical reaction is determined by the energy difference between the reactants and products, as well as the presence of a suitable catalyst.

2. Can all chemical reactions occur spontaneously?

No, not all chemical reactions can occur spontaneously. Some reactions require an input of energy in the form of heat or light to overcome the activation energy barrier.

3. How do you predict which chemical reactions are possible?

The prediction of possible chemical reactions can be made by examining the reactivity of the reactants based on their electronic configuration and bonding type, as well as their stability compared to the products.

4. Are there any limitations to which chemical reactions are possible?

Yes, there are certain limitations to chemical reactions, such as the laws of thermodynamics which dictate that reactions must follow a specific energy pathway and the availability of reactants and suitable conditions for the reaction to occur.

5. Can chemical reactions be reversed?

Yes, chemical reactions can be reversed by changing the conditions, such as temperature, pressure, and concentration, to favor the reactants over the products. This is known as a reversible reaction.