Permutations & Combinations

In summary, to solve for n in the equation 10Pn = 90, you can use the fact that _{n} P _{k} = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!}. By multiplying both sides by (10 - n)! and dividing both sides by 90, you can get the equation 40320 = (10 - n)!. This can be expressed as 8! = (10 - n)!, meaning that n must equal 2. For the second problem, there are a total of 3 candidates for president, 3 for secretary, and 2 for treasurer, making a total of 8 candidates. Each student can vote for at least one position, so there are
blue_soda025
What would be the best way to solve for n if 10Pn = 90?
Also, how would you solve this problem:
In a student council election, there are 3 candidates for president, 3 for secretary, and 2 for treasurer. Each student may vote for at least one position. How many ways can a ballot be marked?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, use the fact that [tex]_{n} P _{k} = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!}[/tex]

I used that and multiplied both sides by (10 - n)!, then divided both sides by 90. Then I got 40320 = (10 - n)!. But that's where I got stuck.

Try expressing 40320 as a factorial.

I suppose it would be 8! = (10 - n)! then? Still don't know what to do...

if 8! = (10-n)!
n has to equal 2.

Oh, I see now.. don't know why I didn't before. Thanks!

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations are ordered arrangements of a set of objects, while combinations are unordered selections of objects from a set.

2. How do I calculate the number of permutations or combinations?

The number of permutations of n objects taken r at a time is given by nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n! represents n factorial. The number of combinations of n objects taken r at a time is given by nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!).

3. Can I use permutations and combinations in real life situations?

Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science. Some examples include calculating the number of possible combinations for a lock or password, determining the number of possible outcomes in a card game, and analyzing data in genetics and epidemiology.

4. What is the difference between a permutation with repetition and a combination with repetition?

A permutation with repetition allows for the same object to be used multiple times in an arrangement, while a combination with repetition does not allow for repetitions. For example, in a permutation with repetition, the word "MISSISSIPPI" would have more arrangements than in a combination with repetition.

5. How do I know when to use permutations and when to use combinations?

Permutations are used when the order of objects matters, such as arranging letters in a word or selecting a president, vice president, and treasurer from a group of candidates. Combinations are used when the order does not matter, such as selecting a group of friends to go on a trip or choosing a pizza with three toppings from a menu.