Importance of PF Community: Exploring Personal Connections and Benefits

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary, this forum is important to many people for various reasons. The quality of content is high because it is moderated away. The main competition would probably be stackexchange, which, to put it as neutrally as I can, gives a substantially different user experience that I don't much care for.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
We have quite a close and tight community here. And we do not really realize it, but for some people this forum is an important piece of their life. Other people just use this forum to get help in school or with other aspects of life.

How about you? How important is PF for you? Why? What do you get out of this?

Likes DavideGenoa and lisab
Physics news on Phys.org
I know some members well, some I've met in person. Some I know through PMs and emails and chats. Some I interact with only in threads.

That's what it's like living in a village. PF is my "village".

It gives me an excuse to stay engaged with math after selling my soul to become a software engineer. Also, it's a good place to check my thinking during my (very) occasional attempts to learn some physics. The quality of content is pretty high because a lot of the BS gets moderated away. The main competition would probably be stackexchange, which, to put it as neutrally as I can, gives a substantially different user experience that I don't much care for. Anyway, all the cool cats like micromass are here. :tongue:

Likes DavideGenoa
I use it to practice English and get to know more about people around the world! I used to spend more time here when I was younger.

It's one of those places where I can find relatively honest opinions

I come here to learn physics and maths(In fact I have learned many things from here) and help others.

I love to stay at PF because it somehow shaped my way of thinking.

Likes DavideGenoa
I feel like I get a lot more help than I contribute, and post a lot more to silly threads in the General forum than anything substantive.

But I love that no one seems to mind.

Even if I'm not talking math or physics (the latter of which I'm not even engaged in) I know that people here are like-minded.

-Dave K

Likes DavideGenoa
On an importance scale of 1-10, I rate it as orange-ish.

I can't always be surrounded by people with similar interests as me in real life. PF allows me to enter the atmosphere anyway.

Likes DavideGenoa
I've gotten a lot out of PF and it's very important to me. The main thing that I've gotten from PF is that it has taught me to be more critical in my thinking - something like the old woodworker's adage of measure twice, cut once. PF has taught me to think twice, post once. :tongue:

Likes DavideGenoa
Very important.It's like a social club.I have met great people here.

reenmachine said:
Very important.It's like a social club.I have met great people here.

Lol.

Are you implying that there is some sort of life outside PF?

Likes DavideGenoa
Being a student who is active in class and challenges my teachers, PF has provided a source of knowledge that results in answers beyond that of a single person. I find that this forum has more in depth discussions and ultimately leads to heightened though and learning. I also enjoy the paths that different views and opinions lead you down, makes for a fun journey!

Likes DavideGenoa
collinsmark said:
Are you implying that there is some sort of life outside PF?

That depends on your definition of "life".

Likes DavideGenoa
I love that it separates the wheat from the chaff. I watch a lot of pop-sci TV shows and read pop-sci books because I'm simple-minded and so are they ... BUT ... they are SO unreliable that I started getting answers here. The graphics and videos are better there but the facts are better here (except sometimes the ones I propound) :smile:

It's a great community for me, particularly because I live in a small town and have no local friends interested in science.

Likes DavideGenoa
Borg said:
...- something like the old woodworker's adage of measure twice, cut once. PF has taught me to think twice, post once. :tongue:

Haha yes, often the time I have written something and almost hit the "submit reply"
and sometimes have even hit the button. Only to think better of it and delete my response/intended response :smile:

I really enjoy the family here. It has done wonders to this ol' lad's learning. My physics classroom times were a LONG time ago and much has been forgotten due to it not being used every day.

Thanks everyone :smile:

Dave

davenn said:
It has done wonders to this ol' lad's learning.
Physics Forums should offer some sort of advanced degree. :approve:

dlgoff said:
Physics Forums should offer some sort of advanced degree. :approve:

Physics Forums Academy! :)

I've been using it on and off since 2008 to help with my high school physics all the way to now I will soon be graduating with a chemical engineering degree.

It's so funny looking back at old posts to see how ignorant I was when I was younger. I can only image a few years from now laughing at how ignorant I am at the time of this post.

Last edited:
Maylis said:
I've been using it on and off since 2008 to help with my high school physics all the way to now I will soon be graduating with a chemical engineering degree.

Congrats! Now head into the chem forum :D

WannabeNewton said:
Lol.

I know you love my love. :!)

reenmachine said:
I know you love my love. :!)

I do indeed.

In all honesty I wouldn't have even gotten interested in physics if it wasn't for this forum and I certainly wouldn't have gotten far in physics if I hadn't met micromass, PeterDonis, and the likes. I started using PF dedicatedly during my senior year of high school. Before that I was 100% set on doing computer science at MIT or Carnegie Mellon :smile:

Likes DavideGenoa
micromass said:
What do you get out of this?

Procrastinating Familiarly.

(disable lurker mode).. Saves me time...^^

WannabeNewton said:
I started using PF dedicatedly during my senior year of high school. Before that I was 100% set on doing computer science at MIT or Carnegie Mellon :smile:
So... PF has been instrumental in significantly lowering your lifetime income? :frown:

strangerep said:
So... PF has been instrumental in significantly lowering your lifetime income? :frown:

Well when you put it that way...:smile:

I was a complete moron when I first came here. Now, I realize, that assessment was optimistic.

Chronos said:
I was a complete moron when I first came here. Now, I realize, that assessment was optimistic.

:smile: me too :smile:

Physics Forums is great in a number of different ways.

The homework help provided here is great. The policy of nudging the student along the right track until they find the answer is very beneficial.

Just reading some of the threads is a good way of picking up information and finding new ideas to search about on the net.

And the people that populate the forum are great. It can be nice to go to the informal areas and talk about nothing of consequence and equally nice to talk with people who have similar interests.

The people are okay.

1. What is the PF community and why is it important?

The PF community, also known as the personal finance community, is a group of individuals who share a common interest in personal finance and financial independence. It is important because it provides a supportive and informative environment for individuals to learn about and discuss financial topics, as well as connect with like-minded people who can offer valuable insights and advice.

2. How can being a part of the PF community benefit me?

Being a part of the PF community can benefit you in many ways. It can help you learn about personal finance, budgeting, investing, and other important financial topics. It can also provide a sense of community and support, as well as opportunities for networking and collaboration. Additionally, being a part of the PF community can help you stay motivated and accountable in achieving your financial goals.

3. How can I get involved in the PF community?

There are many ways to get involved in the PF community. You can join online forums and communities, attend local meetups and events, follow personal finance bloggers and influencers on social media, and participate in discussions and conversations about financial topics. You can also contribute your own knowledge and experiences to help others in the community.

4. Can the PF community help me improve my financial situation?

Yes, the PF community can definitely help you improve your financial situation. By learning from others and sharing your own experiences, you can gain valuable insights and tips on how to manage your money more effectively, save for the future, and achieve financial independence. The community can also provide support and accountability to help you stay on track with your financial goals.

5. Is the PF community only for experts in personal finance?

No, the PF community is open to anyone who is interested in learning about personal finance and improving their financial situation. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, there is always something new to learn and discuss in the community. Everyone is welcome to participate and contribute their own unique perspectives and experiences.