My Heroes: People Who Inspire Me

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
In summary, my heroes are those who have influenced me in the biggest way, either professionally or personally.
1MileCrash
Who are your heroes? Who are the people that influenced your career, behavior, or success in the biggest way? Who do you hold high respect for? Who inspires you?

My list is as follows:

All of my math professors and one of my physics professors, a select few if my classmates whom I looked up to.

Cato the Younger
Gauss
Van Gogh
Euler
Cauchy
Erdos
Feynman
Tyson
Diogenes
Euclid
Marcus Aurelius
Epictetus
Socrates

Etc.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy page

WannabeNewton said:
Jimmy page

Nice

Actually I think hero would be putting it lightly. Jimmy page is my god. I have had an almost childish admiration for him for years now that I certainly don't have for anyone else alive or dead. He's the sole reason I started playing guitar.

Reminds me of the time some years ago when I did some volunteer work with kids aged about 12 through 16. From all walks of life and backgrounds. About a dozen different groups of 10 to 50 kids over the years.

I would ask them who their hero was, or who they respected and admired the most.

The number one answer was always the same.

It wasn't a sports figure, or pop star, or rapper, or movie/tv actor or actress.

The number one answer , year after year, group after group, may or may not surprise you.

"My Parent(s)".

And now you know the rest of the story.

Good Day!

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
W0AFQ : Lester A Anderson - Taught me a lot of electronics

Robert Bearse, Professor Emeritus - Taught me a lot of Physics with 4 MeV particle accelerator.

attachment.php?attachmentid=71563&stc=1&d=1406105094.jpg

Attachments

• rcbearse.jpg
    rcbearse.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 503
I am impressed by people's accomplishments but I just don't admire any person in particular. I think too many people try too hard to blindly follow someone else's footstep instead finding their own ways to succeed.

Having said that, George Carlin is a ****ing genius.

wukunlin said:
I am impressed by people's accomplishments but I just don't admire any person in particular. I think too many people try too hard to blindly follow someone else's footstep instead finding their own ways to succeed.

Exactly my sentiments about this matter.

Thanks for this thread 1MileCrash. There is one person who really had a huge influence in my life, not only professionally but personally and spiritually. The reason I am thanking you is that if I started the thread myself, it would unequivocally brand myself as obsequious. So now I can just blame you. Lol.

This person is Walter Freeman (III), whom I reference frequently here, so it's no mystery, but here's an opportunity to present my gratefulness to him in a formal context. It's difficult really to classify him, which is an immediate indication of his genius. His knowledge and contributions to neuroscience just span and transcend so many disciplines he really is in a class all his own. He single-handedly set the standard on how to understand large scale dynamic intertactions in the brain with his landmark book, "Mass action in the nervous system", along with several hundred journal publications. This book was decades ahead of its time and preguessed a lot of what resting state network fMRI studies would bear out 30 years later.

He was (is) a self-proclaimed biophysicist but waxed philosophic prose that rivaled any of the classics, and had the biophysical street cred to back it up. I can honestly say I did not only learn neurobiology from this person, I learned a new way to look at life in general, which was invaluable. If you want a great popular book to read by him, try "Society of brains" https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805820175/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The impact he has had on the wealth of graduate students that have moved through his lab is telling. I wasn't one of them personally, but I know a number of them, and the impact on them goes much deeper than just a professional association. Here's an example of the regard he is held to. Leslie Kay's "10 things I learned from Walter."

https://archive.org/details/Brain_Network_Dynamics_2007-04_Leslie_Kay

It goes a lot deeper than just the hard science, and for that he is my hero (along with Einstein and George Carlin, nod to Wukunlin)

Last edited by a moderator:
1MileCrash said:
Who are your heroes? Who are the people that influenced your career, behavior, or success in the biggest way? Who do you hold high respect for? Who inspires you?

My list is as follows:

All of my math professors and one of my physics professors, a select few if my classmates whom I looked up to.

Cato the Younger
Gauss
Van Gogh
Euler
Cauchy
Erdos
Feynman
Tyson
Diogenes
Euclid
Marcus Aurelius
Epictetus
Socrates

Etc.

You sure do have an impressive list of professors and classmates...

Batman.

Matterwave said:
You sure do have an impressive list of professors and classmates...

Is that really how that reads?

I'm surprised this thread has so few responses. Doesn't everyone have at least one hero? I have many.

I will mention one hero who is perhaps not well known in this forum. Business consultant Stafford Beer's theory of cybernetics so impressed President Salvador Allende that he was invited to help run Chile. You can look up the story. Some call Beer "the man who could have run the world." That's how powerful his theory was and is. It's an indication of the importance of cybernetics, not only in science and engineering, but in designing better human systems. We may solve our problems in science and engineering well enough, but until we solve the problem of our planetary social system, we will never realize our full potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
1MileCrash said:

My list is as follows:

Cato the Younger
Gauss
Van Gogh
Euler
Cauchy
Erdos
Feynman
Tyson

Mike Tyson was a great boxer, but not sure you should be letting him influence your behavior.

Mike Tyson was a great boxer, but not sure you should be letting him influence your behavior.

agree. for boxers, I commend Muhammad Ali

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I'm surprised this thread has so few responses. Doesn't everyone have at least one hero? I have many.

I will mention one hero who is perhaps not well known in this forum. Business consultant Stafford Beer's theory of cybernetics so impressed President Salvador Allende that he was invited to help run Chile. You can look up the story. Some call Beer "the man who could have run the world." That's how powerful his theory was and is. It's an indication of the importance of cybernetics, not only in science and engineering, but in designing better human systems. We may solve our problems in science and engineering well enough, but until we solve the problem of our planetary social system, we will never realize our full potential.
Did you realize that this thread was dead for 3 years?

1. Who are considered "heroes" in this topic?

The term "hero" can be subjective and vary from person to person. In this topic, "heroes" refer to individuals who have inspired others through their actions, accomplishments, and character. They can be historical figures, public figures, or even people in our personal lives.

2. How do these heroes inspire people?

These heroes inspire people through their courage, determination, and positive impact on others. They serve as role models and their stories can motivate others to take action, overcome obstacles, and make a difference in their own lives and in the world.

3. Can anyone be considered a hero?

Yes, anyone can be considered a hero. While some may have achieved great feats on a global scale, others can be heroes in their own communities or even in their own families. It is the impact and inspiration they bring to others that makes them heroes.

4. How can we learn from these heroes?

We can learn from these heroes by studying their stories, values, and actions. By understanding what makes them inspiring and admirable, we can incorporate those qualities into our own lives. We can also learn from their mistakes and challenges, and use them as lessons for our own personal growth.

5. Why is it important to have heroes in our lives?

Having heroes in our lives can provide us with motivation, inspiration, and guidance. They can give us something to aspire to and help us see the potential for greatness within ourselves. Heroes can also remind us of the importance of kindness, empathy, and making a positive impact on others.

Back