Understanding Friction: The Impact of Weight on Surface Resistance

• Thread starter mom
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a physics experiment on friction using a block of wood and a rubber band. The experiment is conducted on both a desk and sandpaper, with the rubber band being longer on the sandpaper due to the force needed to overcome friction. Adding a second block to the first and doing the experiment again yields the same results, with the rubber band being longer on the sandpaper. However, when the two blocks are placed on top of each other, the rubber band is even longer on the sandpaper. The question is why this happens, as it is believed that friction is not dependent on surface area. A spring is used to measure the force on the rubber band, and it is found that the weight stays the same
mom
Hello, first time posting...
I am helping a 5th grade teacher out with a physics experiment involoving friction. The first run is a block of wood and measure the difference in the length of a rubber band when you pull it across a desk and then again along sandpaper. Every thing fine so far, results as expected with the rubber band longer with the sandpaper. Next attach a second block to the first by a piece of string (like a train) and do them again. Again, everything as expected (band longer with two blocks, longest on the sandpaper). Finally, we do the last run (two blocks on top of each other). We are not surprised to see that the rubber band is the longest when two blocks are used and even longer on the sandpaper. My question is why? I understand the force to overcome friction is dependent on weight but the weight is the same in the last two situations. Shouldn't they be the same? I know it is not supposed to be dependent on surface area but I am confused. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
surface area.

Nautica

Surface area? Is that your answer? The few books I've looked in say friction force is independent of surface area. I just can't explain why I am getting these results. We redid the last part again using a spring that measures force on the rubber band. We got 300Newtons for the two block train setup on sandpaper and 450N for the same two blocks on top of each other. The weight stays the same in both cases the only thing that changes is the surface area in contact with the sandpaper. Anyone have any ideas? I really need this explained today. Thanks!

This experiment isn't being done on an incline, is it?

- Warren

The reason why friction isn't supposed to change is that you are varying the surface area in contact and the weight per square inch of surface area.

If that change does not remain an equal trade, (if you add to either one without removing from the other), it will not balance out.

That is what is happening to you. You have doubled the weight, however you have only reduced the surface area by ALMOST half because the weight is pressing the sandpaper into the wood and has increased the surface area per square inch in contact with the sandpaper.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface.

2. How does weight impact surface resistance?

Weight can impact surface resistance by increasing the force of friction between two surfaces. Heavier objects have more weight and therefore exert more force on the surface, resulting in a greater amount of friction.

3. Why is understanding friction important?

Understanding friction is important because it helps us to design and improve various technologies and machines, as well as to reduce the wear and tear on surfaces. It also plays a crucial role in everyday tasks such as walking and driving.

4. How does friction affect the movement of objects?

Friction can either increase or decrease the movement of objects, depending on the direction of the applied force. For example, when a force is applied in the opposite direction of an object's motion, friction can slow it down. However, friction between moving parts in machines can also cause wear and tear, leading to a decrease in the efficiency of the machine.

5. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced through the use of lubricants or by using smoother surfaces. However, in some cases, friction is necessary for the proper functioning of machines and technologies, so it cannot be completely eliminated without causing negative effects.