Spring loaded collisionneed some guidance

In summary: So KE=.5(6+12)(.5+1.5) = 22.5d) After the collision is over, what is the velocity of m in the center-of-mass frame? (right is positive) After the collision is over, what is the velocity of m in the lab frame? m=.5m/s in the center-of-mass frame, and .5m/s in the lab frame
Juntao
A cart of mass m = 6 kg carrying a spring of spring constant k = 48 N/m and moving at speed v = 1.5 m/s hits a stationary cart of mass M = 12 kg. Assume all motion is along a line.

a) What is the speed of the center of mass of this system?
b) When the spring is at its maximum compression, with what speed are the carts moving in the lab frame?
c) How far will the spring be compressed?
d) After the collision is over, what is the velocity of m in the center-of-mass frame? (right is positive)
e) After the collision is over, what is the velocity of m in the lab frame?
f) After the collision is over, what is the velocity of M in the lab frame?
======================================================
Ok, I figured out a, and b, but now I'm stuck on c.

This is what I've done so far.

a) Initial momentum=final momentum
(m1v1+m2v2)=(m1+m2)Vcom

where m1=6kg
v1=1.5m/s
m2=12kg
v2=0
Vcom=velocity of center of mass

I figured out the answer of Vcom=.5m/s

b) I know that the answer is .5 m/s, but I'm sure why it is though. Can someone elaborate on this please?

c) This is where I get stuck so far. I used the idea of conservation of momentum and energy. In the end, I get this equation
KE=SPE or
.5(m1+m2)(Vcom)^2=.5kx^2
So I substituted my numbers, and the x I get isn't right. Is this the right way of apporaching it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a pic of the thing.

Attachments

• carts.gif
    carts.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 521
Part B:

When the spring is fully compressed, then the carts are (momentarily) at rest with respect to each other right? What does that mean about their motion with respect to the center of gravity?

Part C:
You can calculate the energy before the colision, and when the spring is fully compressed. That shoud give you the answer.

Part D:
One way to do this would be to solve the colision as perfectly elastic, and then do the rest of the work. Perhaps you can come up with a more elegant solution.

Part E:
See part D

Part F:
See part D

Originally posted by Juntao
b) I know that the answer is .5 m/s, but I'm sure why it is though. Can someone elaborate on this please?
As long as the spring is still compressing, there is relative speed between the two carts. When maximum compression is reached, the two carts---momentarily---move as one: relative speed is zero. At that point, Vcart 1 = Vcart 2 = Vcm.
c) This is where I get stuck so far. I used the idea of conservation of momentum and energy. In the end, I get this equation
KE=SPE or
.5(m1+m2)(Vcom)^2=.5kx^2
So I substituted my numbers, and the x I get isn't right. Is this the right way of apporaching it?
Consider this: initial KE = KE(at max compression) + PE(of spring at max compression)

What is a spring loaded collision?

A spring loaded collision is a type of collision in which a spring is compressed or stretched during the collision, storing and releasing energy as the objects involved in the collision interact.

How does a spring loaded collision differ from other types of collisions?

In a spring loaded collision, the objects involved interact through the force of a spring, rather than directly colliding with each other. This allows for the transfer of energy between the objects in a more controlled manner.

What factors affect the outcome of a spring loaded collision?

The outcome of a spring loaded collision is affected by the mass, velocity, and stiffness of the objects involved, as well as the angle of impact and the amount of compression or stretching of the spring.

What are some real-life applications of spring loaded collisions?

Spring loaded collisions are commonly seen in sports equipment, such as in a baseball bat hitting a ball or a basketball rebounding off of a rim. They are also used in engineering and automotive industries, such as in car suspensions and shock absorbers.

How can spring loaded collisions be calculated and analyzed?

The principles of conservation of energy and momentum can be applied to calculate and analyze spring loaded collisions. This involves determining the initial and final energy and momentum of the objects involved and using equations to solve for the unknown variables.