Center of gravity: Really confused (HW problem)

In summary, the center of gravity for the board with a hole in it is located where the sum of the weights of all the points on the board is equal to the mass of the board without the hole.
Izzybee
Center of gravity: Really confused

Hi everyone,
My question is:

Find the center of gravity for the board below: Assume that the board is uniform in thickness and that the hole in the plate is centered from top to bottom:

I only know that you have to find the area of the circle and the board and subtract the two, but I really have no clue how to solve this problem?

Please help!

Attachments

• image 1.doc
    34 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please Help!

Are you sure your picture's right? Because if the radius is 20 cm, and the perpendicular distance from the left edge of the board to the right edge of the circle is 50 cm, then the length of the board comes out to be 90 cm, which is, obviously, greater than the stated length of 80 cm. Also, the diameter would be 40 cm, which is greater than the stated width of 30 cm.

I'll assume you meant that the diameter is 20 cm.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that you can find the moment (i.e. [tex]\int \sigma dA[/tex]) of the board with the hole filled in then subtract the moment of the hole. Once you have this, divide by the total mass.

But don't quote me on that.

Edit:
oops. I just realized I forgot to define the variables I used.
[tex]\sigma = \frac{M}{A}[/tex], where M = total mass, and A = total area.

Anyway, I've thought it through, and the method should work. (If you haven't been given total mass, you can find it by the same method as I suggested for finding the moment.)

As you know, center of gravity is defined as the average of all the points weighted by their respective masses. In other words,

[tex]\texttf{r_{cm}} = \frac{{\sum_i \texttf{r_i} m_i}}{\sum_i m_i}.[/tex]

Because if this, if you think about it, if you take out a portion of the board with moment [tex]\mu_2[/tex] and total mass [tex]M_p[/tex], the resulting center of mass is

[tex]\texttf{r_{cm2}} = \frac{{\sum_i \texttf{r_i} m_i}-\mu_2}{{\sum_i m_i}-M_2}.[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, but I figured it out!

Izzybee said:
Thanks, but I figured it out!

Ah, well. :)

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act, causing the object to rotate in a uniform manner.

2. How is the center of gravity determined?

The center of gravity is determined by finding the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. This can be done through various methods such as balancing the object on a pivot or using mathematical equations.

3. Why is the center of gravity important?

The center of gravity is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. It is also crucial in understanding how an object will behave when subjected to external forces.

4. Can the center of gravity change?

Yes, the center of gravity can change depending on the position and orientation of an object. It can also change if the distribution of weight within the object is altered.

5. How does the center of gravity affect objects?

The center of gravity affects objects by determining their stability and how they respond to external forces such as gravity and motion. It also plays a role in determining the shape and design of objects for optimal balance and functionality.