What Are Some Must-Watch Movies According to Scientists?

• Thread starter W3pcq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, a list of good movies to checkout was requested, and several suggestions were made. Some recommendations include "Memento," "Revolver," "The Haunting," "Blade Runner," "Fight Club," "The Princess Bride," "The Matrix," and "Ghostbusters." Other notable mentions include "The Blues Brothers," "Metal Gear Solid," and "Dr. Strangelove." Additionally, "Les Visiteurs" and "The Shining" were also recommended. Finally, "Michael Clayton" and "I Am Legend" were noted as interesting recent releases on DVD."
NerfMonkey said:
How about the Elegant Universe series on the PBS website? :P

Ah, the movie has nothing on the book. Some of the visuals and explanations were nice, but there was such little detail in the movie. Of course, it's better than lots of documentaries...
(anyone ever see the History Channel one trying to convince people that there was a black hole in the Bermuda Triangle? :P)

Physics news on Phys.org
Man, I could make a long list of good movies. American History X, Boys N da Hood, The Matrix, Ali, Batman Begins, The Shawshank Redemption, Outbreak, A few good men, Solaris, Ray, Rain man, US Marshals, The Tuskegee Airmen ...so many more I am not listing.

Im very very picky on movies. I never got into any of the disney movies, as I grew up watching top gun when I was 5-ish. Probably not the best movie for a 5 year old. (I had to fast forward through the sex scene :grumpy:) But I also watched ghost busters and ninja turtles. Never really saw any disney movies. I just can't sit through them, I don't find that kind of humor funny.

Last edited:
Yeah, Cy, Shawshank Redemption and Rain Man both should have been in my list earlier. I have watched them both many times. Ray impressed me, in part because I grew up listening to his music and had a better appreciation of the back-story than younger people could have. Also, having played music professionally, I have an appreciation for the stuff that he must have gone through early in his career, especially when venues were segregated.

Cyrus said:
I never got into any of the disney movies... ...I don't find that kind of humor funny.
I would recommend, however, Fantasia. It's not meant to be funny; but the music and 'choreography' are awsome.

Another movie I like that I just remembered is "A Beautiful Mind". I remember that one being pretty good but it has been a long time since I've seen it.

scorpa said:
Another movie I like that I just remembered is "A Beautiful Mind". I remember that one being pretty good but it has been a long time since I've seen it.

Thats a pretty good movie, but I am not super crazy about the storyline. Even though its true, it comes off as too 'hollywood'.

Last king of scotland is good. So is hotel ruwanda.

Im trying to think of a good spy movie that was true to reality, but I cant. There are some ok movies like bourne identity, but those are just action movies. I like true story movies because they are more interesting. Id like to see a 'real' spy movie, not a karate chop james bond spy movie. One where the spy has to use his brain not to get caught and killed. I.e., real life. Actually, Id like to see the guy get caught in the end and die. Because that's what really happens when spies get caught. They don't john wayne their way out. They just 'dissapear'.

The fastest indian is also a good movie.

Last edited:
It seems that people are taking the scenic route around the original question. If this is to be about movies that I really love (or at least like a lot), there are hundreds more that I could mention. 'Inherit the Wind' was brilliant (and philosophically pleasing). I have every Spider-Man, X-Men, and 'Fantastic 4' DVD, and am breathlessly awaiting the theatrical release of 'Iron Man'. I've watched 'Terminator II' probably a dozen times, and never get tired of it. I can't hear 'Bad to the Bone' without seeing Arnie sparking up that hog. :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
Id like to see a 'real' spy movie, not a karate chop james bond spy movie. One where the spy has to use his brain not to get caught and killed. I.e., real life.

Check out 'A Man Called Intrepid'. I believe that it stars David Niven. It's the true story of a Canuk spy in WWII Germany.

Ghandi is also a good movie. American Psyco is a good movie too. Eat drink man woman (chinese w/subtitles) is good, and so is the inheritance (dutch? with subtitles).

All the President's Men is also good.

Last edited:
Fantasia (thanks, Danger!) is a killer. The music is wonderful, and the (cartoon) choreography is wonderful. Hippo ballerinas - yeah, that could happen!

turbo-1 said:
Fantasia (thanks, Danger!) is a killer. The music is wonderful, and the (cartoon) choreography is wonderful. Hippo ballerinas - yeah, that could happen!

I don't think I'll be watching that guys, sorry.

Cyrus said:

If you ever become a dad, you will...over and over and over...!

lisab said:
The music is classic and the juxtapositions of the music with the animation are killer. The movie is old and it is timeless.

Actually, when I was little my mom said I used to watch follow that bird, over, and over, and over. Starring big bird. I just remember he got kidnapped in the back of a pickup truck and painted blue. I used to love that. Also, I would sing along to wheels of fortune.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RhVxfD1Eph4

:rofl: Look at count draculas car. FOUR TELEPHONE POLES!

Last edited:
For my daughter, it was "Lion King." Not a bad movie, but it does get old after watching it about a million times.

When I was little apparently my favorite movie was Bambi, I actually wore out the tape haha.

scorpa said:
When I was little apparently my favorite movie was Bambi, I actually wore out the tape haha.
A couple of my biker buddies have fallen by the wayside, and I'm putting my Softail up for sale. What should I buy? I'm thinking that I want to be able to run maybe 70 mph on asphalt and grind some hills in low gears. Any help?

turbo-1 said:
A couple of my biker buddies have fallen by the wayside, and I'm putting my Softail up for sale. What should I buy? I'm thinking that I want to be able to run maybe 70 mph on asphalt and grind some hills in low gears. Any help?

Suzuki GSXR-1000. :!)

Hang on for dear life.

turbo-1 said:

Well first of all send the softail my way :!) Are you sure you want to sell it? I am a softail fan myself so I think you should keep it :) There are lots of nice go fast bikes out there but none of them are comfortable for the long haul which is my issue with them. If you want something interesting though the Ducati Monsters and Triumph Speed Triple would be neat bikes. What style of bike are you thinking? Give me the details! This is fun, I love bike shopping, even if it isn't for me. Do you want something unique? Any brand loyalty?

Cyrus said:

lisab said:

:rofl:

Cyrus said:
Fantasia is a classic, and should be on any must-see list.

scorpa said:
Well first of all send the softail my way :!) Are you sure you want to sell it? I am a softail fan myself so I think you should keep it :) There are lots of nice go fast bikes out there but none of them are comfortable for the long haul which is my issue with them. If you want something interesting though the Ducati Monsters and Triumph Speed Triple would be neat bikes. What style of bike are you thinking? Give me the details! This is fun, I love bike shopping, even if it isn't for me. Do you want something unique? Any brand loyalty?
Oops! I meant to start a new thread! I must have backed up a page and stuck this OT post here. Good replies, anyway!

scorpa said:
I don't know, scorpa. I was thinking of maybe getting a dual purpose bike that is road-legal, but with off-road capabilities because we have lots of gravel logging roads here that go to some pretty nice trout ponds. I like the Softail, but the yearly excise tax is a pain (they don't depreciate like Japanese bikes do) and my riding buddies have thinned out. One bought a real fixer-upper house last year, one built a new house (unfinished, with no landscaping yet) last year, and one is undergoing chemo for an inoperable cancer that's going to kill him. Those are the guys that I rode with most of the time - all over 50 (I'm the oldest) and all life-time bike riders like myself. Now I rarely see them, and it seems kind of wasteful to have all that money tied up in a bike that I use for little joy-rides, when I could sell it and get something light, nimble, and easier on gas.

A dualsport would be fun! The KLR 650 is a great bike, I have ridden one of those quite a bit and always had a great time (my dad had one for a year or two and I adopted it as my own). One time I got nearly 80 mpg on it but I was riding it really easy, I think around 60-70 is more what I usually got. Plus that bike is bulletproof, not high tech by any means but still great. The BMW F650 is a nice bike but more money than I would pay for a 650. The KTM Adventures are nice but only if you are 7 feet tall. I think Suzuki Has a DRZ400 dual sport to that is more of a dirtbike with lights on it.

If you want a less offroad able dualsport that has a bit more get up and go that can still handle gravel you could go for a Triumph Tiger or Suzuki V Strom. Just don't get into a hairy off road situation with those.

scorpa said:
A dualsport would be fun! The KLR 650 is a great bike, I have ridden one of those quite a bit and always had a great time (my dad had one for a year or two and I adopted it as my own). One time I got nearly 80 mpg on it but I was riding it really easy, I think around 60-70 is more what I usually got. Plus that bike is bulletproof, not high tech by any means but still great. The BMW F650 is a nice bike but more money than I would pay for a 650. The KTM Adventures are nice but only if you are 7 feet tall. I think Suzuki Has a DRZ400 dual sport to that is more of a dirtbike with lights on it.

If you want a less offroad able dualsport that has a bit more get up and go that can still handle gravel you could go for a Triumph Tiger or Suzuki V Strom. Just don't get into a hairy off road situation with those.
Thanks for the suggestions. BTW, I started a thread about this (sorry for hijacking this one accidentally - keeping lots of tabs open in Firefox can lead to mix-ups). :redface:

turbo-1 said:
scorpa said:
A couple of my biker buddies have fallen by the wayside, and I'm putting my Softail up for sale. What should I buy?
World's most out-of-left-field segue.

DaveC426913 said:

:rofl:

DaveC426913 said:
Yep! I apologize. Having lots of Firefox tabs open at one time is a recipe for unintentional thread-highjack. :redface:

turbo-1 said:
Yep! I apologize. Having lots of Firefox tabs open at one time is a recipe for unintentional thread-highjack. :redface:

I figured that's what happened...but it was funny. Gave me a Scooby-Doo moment: "Hhuuuuhh?"

this post is for people looking for movies to watch... I don't think these movies will disappoint anyone

The Best- lawrence of arabia, Dr. Zhivago, Back to the future, American History X, Fight Club, Shawshank Redemption, Batman Begins, Lord of the Rings

runners up- sunshine of the spotless mind, star wars, 25th hour, enemy at the gates

uhhh, there are tons of really watchable ones like Armageddon, Matrix 1 and American Beauty, but I think they are too "hollywood"

on second thought, guys will probably like these movies, chicks have really weird taste

Last edited:
Umm, well Rocky :biggrin: It is an all time fav, plus there is a particual scene, in which I am known for, lol

There's not really specifically one that I like the most. I can almost sit down and enjoy any movie, as long as it's not on Lifetime.:tongue: I really enjoy WWI and WWII movies... got to have plenty of bad-guy Nazis!

My favorite ones in no particular order are...

The Hunt For Red October
Aliens (The second one)
The Great Escape
Jurassic Park
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Forbidden Planet
Enemy at the Gates

Mine : Cyrus loves 'em big black dudes
marlon

edit : or Cyrus sure likes 'em big, black and MALE

While not a move, it's no doubt my favorite show on television at the moment...

Last edited by a moderator:
B. Elliott said:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I love all the Indiana Jones movies. I think they are coming out with a new one if I saw correctly on the television, lol :smile:

<h2>1. What makes a movie a "must-watch" according to scientists?</h2><p>Scientists may consider a movie a "must-watch" if it accurately portrays scientific concepts or theories, presents them in an engaging and understandable way, and promotes critical thinking or scientific curiosity.</p><h2>2. Are there any specific genres of movies that scientists recommend?</h2><p>There is no specific genre that scientists recommend as a must-watch. However, movies that incorporate science fiction, documentaries, or biopics may be of interest to scientists.</p><h2>3. Can you provide some examples of must-watch movies according to scientists?</h2><p>Some examples of movies that scientists may recommend as must-watch include "The Theory of Everything" for its portrayal of Stephen Hawking's life and work, "Interstellar" for its depiction of space and time travel, and "The Martian" for its scientific accuracy and problem-solving approach.</p><h2>4. How can watching movies benefit scientists?</h2><p>Watching movies can benefit scientists by providing inspiration and new ideas for research, promoting critical thinking and analysis of scientific concepts, and offering a way to communicate complex ideas to a wider audience.</p><h2>5. Are there any movies that scientists advise against watching?</h2><p>There is no specific movie that scientists advise against watching. However, movies that perpetuate myths or misinformation about science, or that present pseudoscience as fact, may not be recommended by scientists.</p>

1. What makes a movie a "must-watch" according to scientists?

Scientists may consider a movie a "must-watch" if it accurately portrays scientific concepts or theories, presents them in an engaging and understandable way, and promotes critical thinking or scientific curiosity.

2. Are there any specific genres of movies that scientists recommend?

There is no specific genre that scientists recommend as a must-watch. However, movies that incorporate science fiction, documentaries, or biopics may be of interest to scientists.

3. Can you provide some examples of must-watch movies according to scientists?

Some examples of movies that scientists may recommend as must-watch include "The Theory of Everything" for its portrayal of Stephen Hawking's life and work, "Interstellar" for its depiction of space and time travel, and "The Martian" for its scientific accuracy and problem-solving approach.

4. How can watching movies benefit scientists?

Watching movies can benefit scientists by providing inspiration and new ideas for research, promoting critical thinking and analysis of scientific concepts, and offering a way to communicate complex ideas to a wider audience.

5. Are there any movies that scientists advise against watching?

There is no specific movie that scientists advise against watching. However, movies that perpetuate myths or misinformation about science, or that present pseudoscience as fact, may not be recommended by scientists.