Greatest value of the arg. of a complex number

I got it wrong..So the correct answer would be:In summary, the complex number u can be expressed as 1+2i. The locus of z such that |z-u|=2 is a circle with center (1,2) and radius 2. The greatest value of arg(z) for points on this locus is found by drawing a line tangent to the circle at the point of intersection with the x-axis and the circle, and finding the angle that this line makes with the x-axis. This angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions, and the final answer can be found by adding this angle to the angle made by the line connecting the origin and the point of intersection on the circle.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Given the complex number,u, is given by (7+4i)/(3-2i)

Express u in the form x+iy

Sketch the locus of z such that |z-u|=2

Find the greatest value of arg(z) for points on this locus

Homework Equations

For z=x+iy
[tex]|z|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

[tex]arg(z)=tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First part is simply 1+2i

Second part for |z-u|=2, the locus is a circle with centre (1,2) and radius 2

third part with arg(z). Not too sure on how to find this.

I would assume the largest value for the circle is pi since it is a circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you picture the circle on the Argand diagram? If so, then you should be able to see at which point on the circle where z is a 'vector' from the origin of the circle to a point on the circumference, would result in the greatest angle arg(z).

EDIT: I think a better word to use, as Dick has said, would be "tangent". z is tangent to the circle.

Last edited:
arg(z) is just the angle that a line through z and the origin makes with the x axis. The z that makes the maximum value of that angle must be the point of intersection with the circle of a line tangent to the circle starting at the origin. Seems to me a clever person could draw some right triangles and make a trig problem out of this.

ok so I drew the circle, see the the real axis is a tangent to the circle at (2,0) and the Im(z) intersects the circle. So the largest arg(z) would be the tangent to the circle at the part where the circle intersects the axis?

EDIT: I think I got it out...

[itex]tan \alpha = 2[/itex] and [itex] sin \theta = \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}[/itex]

and I need to find [itex]\alpha + \theta[/itex]

Last edited:
The center of the circle is (1,2). It has radius 2. I don't think it's tangent to the real axis at (2,0). It's in your best interests to draw an accurate picture or you'll waste a lot of time. The z having largest arg(z) doesn't have to be on any axis. It isn't.

rock.freak667 said:
ok so I drew the circle, see the the real axis is a tangent to the circle at (2,0) and the Im(z) intersects the circle. So the largest arg(z) would be the tangent to the circle at the part where the circle intersects the axis?

EDIT: I think I got it out...

[itex]tan \alpha = 2[/itex] and [itex] sin \theta = \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}[/itex]

and I need to find [itex]\alpha + \theta[/itex]

I think you are thinking along the right lines since you want to add two angles, but I have a problem believing everything you say.

Dick said:
I think you are thinking along the right lines since you want to add two angles, but I have a problem believing everything you say.

But the real axis is a tangent at the point (1,0) right? Since the centre is (1,2) and if we go two units down (the length of the radius), it'll be (1,0) which is on the Re(z) right?

Yes, it's (1,0) not (2,0). It's all trig now.

Dick said:
Yes, it's (1,0) not (2,0). It's all trig now.

ah thanks then

1. What is the greatest value of the argument of a complex number?

The greatest value of the argument of a complex number is π radians or 180 degrees. This occurs when the complex number is on the negative real axis.

2. How do you find the greatest value of the argument of a complex number?

To find the greatest value of the argument of a complex number, you can use the formula arg(z) = tan-1(b/a), where a is the real part of the complex number and b is the imaginary part.

3. Can the greatest value of the argument of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the greatest value of the argument of a complex number can be negative. This occurs when the complex number is on the positive real axis and the argument is equal to -π radians or -180 degrees.

4. Is the greatest value of the argument of a complex number unique?

Yes, the greatest value of the argument of a complex number is unique. This is because the argument is defined as the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the complex number, and this angle can only have one maximum value.

5. How does the greatest value of the argument of a complex number relate to its magnitude?

The greatest value of the argument of a complex number is not directly related to its magnitude. The magnitude of a complex number is equal to the distance from the origin to the complex number in the complex plane, while the argument is the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the complex number.