Rho Symbol for Density: Using in Google Docs

In summary, my physics teacher is using a symbol called rho for density. It looks sort of like a backwards g and is used in physics. You could try copying and pasting the latter version into your Google Docs reports/notes.
Banaticus
My physics teacher is using some sort of squiggly symbol that he's calling rho for density. It looks sort of like a backwards g. What is this symbol? How can I include it in my Google Docs reports/notes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rho is the name of the greek letter that he is using. It actually looks more like a stylized p:

Here it is typeset using LaTeX

[tex] \rho [/tex]

Here it is in text

ρ

When handwriting, people often add the curly bit to the stem in order to distinguish it from their handwritten p's. Incidentally, I've also seen a variant of rho in some documents that *is* indeed curly.

You could try copying and pasting the latter version into your Google Doc. Whether it will show up depends upon whether your computer recognizes the character encoding being used.

IF you were using MS Word, then you could go to the menu bar and:

Insert > Symbol...

This will bring up a character map that includes greek letters. I don't know instructions for google docs sorry. It's worth a try though, because some of these freeware programs are deliberately laid out in direct analogy to Word.

Note that the use of rho for density is fairly standard in physics.

Is it possible to get a squiggly looking version like the one he's using? Those look too much like a p -- in fluid dynamics, with p's for pressure already in the formula, I'd like to use a character that looks different from a p.

I don't know. Again, see if the google docs application has a feature that allows you to insert special characters (see my edited post above). Any p and rho produced by the same software are going to look sufficiently different to distinguish them (unless you do something weird like mixing fonts).

Edit, I just realized that you can access a character map independently of any specific software in Windows XP by going

Start Menu > Accessories > System > Character Map

You mean like this? ϱ

If you're using Windows, however, I'm not sure whether you can get it. It's available on the character palette in OS X.

Sweet, Cristo, thanks for the tip (I'm on OS X, and my tip to the OP about Windows XP was from the dim recesses of my memory).

I'm using Windows Vista, but the character map is still around -- I found it by typing "Char" into the start bar and it opened up. After scrolling way the heck down, I found something that looks close -- ϱ -- I'd kind of like a longer tail on it, though, but it'll do for now.

Thanks! :)

1. What is the Rho symbol for density and how is it used in Google Docs?

The Rho symbol (ρ) is a Greek letter commonly used to represent density in scientific equations. In Google Docs, it can be inserted by clicking on "Insert" in the menu bar, selecting "Special characters," and then searching for "Rho" in the drop-down menu. It can also be inserted by typing "\rho" in the equation editor.

2. Can the Rho symbol for density be resized or customized in Google Docs?

Yes, the Rho symbol for density can be resized or customized in Google Docs. After inserting the symbol, it can be clicked on to reveal a blue box around it. This box can be dragged to resize the symbol. Additionally, the symbol can be customized by changing its color or font by using the options in the menu bar.

3. Are there any keyboard shortcuts for inserting the Rho symbol for density in Google Docs?

Yes, there are keyboard shortcuts for inserting the Rho symbol for density in Google Docs. On a Windows computer, the shortcut is "Alt+R" and on a Mac, it is "Option+R." These shortcuts will automatically insert the symbol in your document without having to go through the menu options.

4. Is the Rho symbol for density available in all Google Docs font styles?

The availability of the Rho symbol for density may vary depending on the font style selected in Google Docs. Some fonts may not have the symbol available, while others may have a different version of the symbol. It is recommended to check the symbol in different font styles before finalizing your document.

5. Can the Rho symbol for density be used in equations and formulas in Google Docs?

Yes, the Rho symbol for density can be used in equations and formulas in Google Docs. It is a commonly used symbol in scientific equations involving density, such as the equation for calculating density (density = mass/volume). It can be inserted in the equation editor in Google Docs and used like any other variable or symbol in the equation.