Mix 10% & 24% Acid Solution to Make 10 L of 14% Acid

• Thread starter imdapolak
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves mixing 10% and 24% acid solutions to make 10 liters of 14% acid solution. The main objective is to set up an equation with two unknowns, representing the volumes of the two solutions, which will satisfy the given conditions. The sum of the volumes must be 10 liters and the resulting solution must be 14% acid. This can be solved using two equations: one for the sum of the volumes and another for the concentration of acid. The question is not clear and it would be more accurate to use masses instead of volumes.
imdapolak
1. You wish to mix 10% acid solution with 24% acid solution to make 10 liters of 14% acid solution. How much of each do you use?

2. a(.10)+b(.24)=10(.14) ? I think the problem is asking for what a and b are , and both added together equal 10 liters at 14% acid solution. The only instructions are to write out an equation for each problem and solve.

3. Hello, this is one problem that I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem. For this section of my mathbook problems such as these involve creating an equation that solves for the solution. I would just like to see how you set up the equation itself in order to solve this problem to find the value of needed liters. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

how do you think you would set up the equation - have to give it a try first...

Your exercise b3 is not clear. What is the exercise description and what is the question?

Your exercise b1 forces us to assume your units are either mass per volume or volume per volume; either way, your unknown quantities may well be volumes for the 10% and for the 24% acids. You have in the description the condition that the sum of the volumes should be 10 liters. If x=volume of 10% acid, then the volume of 24% acid must be 10-x. Do you understand the reasoning? (I may have skipped a step). Can you take the solution process further?

Sum of volumes of both acids must be 10. 10% of the first volume plus 24% of the second must equal 14% of the final volume. That gives two equations in two unknowns.

Question is faulty, but that's another story. Why do they have to use volumes instead of masses, which will make question perfectly correct?

What is the formula for calculating the concentration of a solution?

The formula for calculating the concentration of a solution is as follows:
M1V1 + M2V2 = M3V3
Where M1 and V1 are the initial concentration and volume of the first solution, M2 and V2 are the initial concentration and volume of the second solution, and M3 and V3 are the final concentration and volume of the resulting solution.

What is the concentration of the 10% acid solution?

The concentration of the 10% acid solution is 10% or 0.1.

What is the concentration of the 24% acid solution?

The concentration of the 24% acid solution is 24% or 0.24.

What is the final volume of the resulting solution?

The final volume of the resulting solution is 10 L.

What is the final concentration of the resulting solution?

The final concentration of the resulting solution is 14% or 0.14.