Need some help with a derivative and the chain rule

In summary, the problem is that you are using the wrong rule for the chain rule. You are supposed to use the general formula D[a(x)/b(x)] = [a'(x)b(x) - b'(x)a(x)] / [b(x)]2. But for some reason, you have a sinx there. This is causing the b'(x)a(x) term to be incorrect.
sEsposito
Okay so I'm doing chain rule work to go over the stuff from calc 1 before I take a departmental exam and I've run into this problem:

Homework Statement

Take the derivative of:

[tex] f(x) = \frac{sin(x^2)}{ln sinx}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Here's the formula I used (and always do) for the chain rule:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}[f(g(x))] = f'(g(x))*g'(x) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] f'(x) = \frac{ln sinx(cos(x^2)2x) - sin(x^2)\frac{1}{sinx}sinx cosx}{[ln sinx]^2}[/tex]

So, I've done this simple derivative problem 3 times and for some reason I keep getting this answer. E-Mailed my Prof and he said that the sinx right after the 1/sinx is not suposed to be there, but I cannot see why...Can anyone verify the correct answer for me just to see what I'm not grasping here. I'm very frustrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you have a sinx there? sinx2 comes from the original function, cosx/sinx comes from differentiating ln(sinx).

I'm thinking [tex]g(x) = sinx[/tex] so by the chain rule the bottom [tex]lnsinx = \frac{1}{sinx}sinxcosx[/tex]

And you and my prof are saying that [tex]lnsinx = \frac{1}{sinx}cosx[/tex]

But what happens to the [tex]g(x)[/tex]

D [ln(sinx)] = (1/sinx)cosx.
(where D is the derivative)

The general formula you are using is D [a(x)/b(x)] = [a'(x)b(x) - b'(x)a(x)] / [b(x)]2
You have most the terms right, it is the b'(x)a(x) term that is incorrect.

But why? If the rule is [tex]f'(x) = f'(g(x))*g'(x)[/tex] than what happens to the [tex]g(x)[/tex] which in this case [tex]= sinx[/tex]

VeeEight said:
The general formula you are using is D [a(x)/b(x)] = [a'(x)b(x) - b'(x)a(x)] / [b(x)]2
You have most the terms right, it is the b'(x)a(x) term that is incorrect.

That's the quotient rule, but I'm talking about the chain rule that needs to be used to get [tex]f'(x)[/tex]

Show step by step where the problem is.
If you are trying to differentiate ln(sinx), take the g(x)=sinx. then D [ln(g(x))] = 1/g(x) * g'(x). What is g'(x) here? It is cosx. Thus D [ln(g(x))] = 1/g(x) * g'(x) = (1/sinx)cosx

I see it now! You're right. I can't thank you enough.. This was driving me crazy. Seriously, thank you so much.

No problem! :) Peace

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It can also be thought of as the slope of a tangent line to the function's graph at a specific point.

2. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more other functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

3. How do I use the chain rule?

To use the chain rule, first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and substitute the inner function into the resulting expression. Finally, multiply this by the derivative of the inner function. This will give you the derivative of the composite function.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any type of function, as long as it is a composite function. This includes polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions, among others.

5. What is the purpose of the chain rule?

The chain rule allows us to find the derivative of composite functions, which are often used to model real-world situations. By finding the derivative, we can determine the rate of change of the output of the function with respect to its input, which can be useful in many applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.