Calculating Theoretical & Experimental pH Values of NaNO2 Solution

In summary, to properly calculate the theoretical pH value after adding tap water, you will need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation with the pKa and acid concentration values.
robspg
Hello, thanks for reading.

I am solving a lab problem that involves calculating a theoretical pH value, then testing the experimental pH in a lab with tap water that is not the expected pH 7, and comparing the values.

I am determining the theoretical pH value of a 0.1M concentration of NaNO2.
Based on my calculations using the Kb value of 1.96*10-11, the result is pH 8.15.

Then, after completing the test experimentally by creating a 0.1M solution from solid NaNO2 and 0.250L of pH 4.95 tap water, I I recorded an experimental value of pH 6.75.

How do I take into account the pH of the tap water to calculate the proper "theoretical pH value"?

Thanks!
-Rob

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To take into account the pH of the tap water, you will have to calculate the pH of the solution after the addition of the tap water. This can be done using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which states that the pH of a solution is equal to the pKa (the acid dissociation constant) plus the logarithm of the ratio of the concentrations of the conjugate base and the acid. Since you already know the pKa (1.96*10-11) and the concentration of the acid (0.1M) you can use the equation to calculate the theoretical pH of the solution with the addition of the tap water.

1. What is the purpose of calculating theoretical and experimental pH values of NaNO2 solution?

The purpose of calculating theoretical and experimental pH values of NaNO2 solution is to determine the acid-base properties of the solution. This information can be used to understand the chemical behavior and reactivity of the solution, as well as to predict its potential effects on other substances.

2. How do you calculate the theoretical pH value of a NaNO2 solution?

The theoretical pH value of a NaNO2 solution can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant, [base] is the concentration of the base (in this case, NaNO2), and [acid] is the concentration of the conjugate acid (HNO2).

3. What factors can affect the experimental pH value of a NaNO2 solution?

The experimental pH value of a NaNO2 solution can be affected by various factors, such as the accuracy of the equipment used to measure pH, the temperature of the solution, and the presence of impurities or other substances that may interact with the NaNO2.

4. Can the theoretical and experimental pH values of a NaNO2 solution be the same?

It is possible for the theoretical and experimental pH values of a NaNO2 solution to be the same, but this is not always the case. Factors such as experimental error, variations in the solution's composition, and other external influences can cause discrepancies between the two values.

5. How can the accuracy of the calculated pH values be ensured?

The accuracy of the calculated pH values can be ensured by using reliable and calibrated equipment for pH measurement, following proper experimental procedures, and repeating the experiment multiple times to check for consistency. It is also important to use high-quality chemicals and to account for any potential sources of error in the calculations.