Exploring the Practical Uses of Band Gaps and Free Carrier Absorption

In summary: The HOMO-LUMO gap is the energy difference between the highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO) and the lowest unoccupied molecular orbital (LUMO) in a molecule or atom. In solids, this concept is extended to the energy difference between the valence band (highest occupied band) and the conduction band (lowest unoccupied band).
Ravian
what is the practical use of the concept of band gap other than classification between material? can free carrier absorption be manipulated by changing band gaps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ravian said:
what is the practical use of the concept of band gap other than classification between material? can free carrier absorption be manipulated by changing band gaps?

This is a very puzzling question. That's like asking "what is the practical use of the gaps between the rungs of a ladder". The gaps aren't simply a concept. It is there because there are no available states or band of states due to the electronic and physical structure of the material. Therefore, this is a part of the electronic band structure and a consequence of the nature of the material.

Secondly, "free carrier" does not have a band gap, so there's nothing to be manipulated here.

Zz.

so the band gap for a particular material is a constant value e.g. 6.1eV for AlN or it can vary. Does not a band structure show many band gaps between different states of electrons? if electrons live in certain orbitals or shells of specific energy then how a band gap is formed i mean how can we determine that band gap lies between what orbitals.

Last edited:
Ravian said:
so the band gap for a particular material is a constant value e.g. 6.1eV for AlN or it can vary. Does not a band structure show many band gaps between different states of electrons? if electrons live in certain orbitals or shells of specific energy then how a band gap is formed i mean how can we determine that band gap lies between what orbitals.

You are confusing band gaps in solids with atomic energy levels. These two are NOT the same!

Zz.

In an isolated atom, the electrons occupy states with discrete energy levels. But, when atoms come close, these discrete energy states become bands. (a band has a certain range of energies). These bands are now the 'energy states' of the electrons.

Ravian said:
i mean how can we determine that band gap lies between what orbitals.
Each orbital changes into a band.
If you know basic quantum mech, you could read about the tight-binding model.

so the band gap for a particular material is a constant value e.g. 6.1eV for AlN or it can vary.
Yes, for a given temperature.

Ravian said:
if electrons live in certain orbitals or shells of specific energy then how a band gap is formed i mean how can we determine that band gap lies between what orbitals.

In a solid, the discrete energy levels/orbitals become continuous bands. Basically, if you take an atom and it binds to another atom, its levels split into multiple molecular orbitals. (e.g. a hydrogen atom's 1s orbital splits into [tex]\sigma[/tex] and [tex]\sigma^*[/tex] molecular orbitals when it binds to another hydrogen)

Add more atoms and you get more splitting, and for a solid (which is essentially an infinitely large molecule) you have continuous bands. So the band gap between the valence and conduction bands are in this sense the direct equivalent of the HOMO-LUMO gap in a single atom or molecule, which is a well known concept in chemistry/chemical physics.

(And the tight binding model which Graphene mentions is essentially the same as [modern] valence bond theory in chemistry)

So I disagree with ZapperZ - atomic/molecular orbitals and electronic bands are fundamentally the same thing.

excellent. so can you recommend some source which shows visualization of this overlapping. i surfed but get schematic diagrams of valence and conduction bands. thanks for your help.

Ravian said:

I don't have references on this handy, and it has been 20 years since I looked at this topic, so I don't want to quote too much from memory. However, I recommend you look at III-V and quartenary semiconductor systems. For example InGaAsP system. Typically, component ratios are varied to control both band gap and lattice constant to design electro-optic components like photodiodes and modulators.

http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/semi_en/kap_5/backbone/r5_1_4.html

so to sum up i can say when atoms interact to make a solid, their atomic orbitals mix to form two bands of orbitals namely valence band and conduction bands with an energy gap between them where no electronic states exist. Further, these electronic states are quantized and electronic transitions take place in accordance with pauli’s exclusion principle that is no two electrons of the same spin can occupy same state.
i guess my statement is correct?

Ravian said:
so to sum up i can say when atoms interact to make a solid, their atomic orbitals mix to form two bands of orbitals namely valence band and conduction bands with an energy gap between them where no electronic states exist.

Roughly. But whether or not you have a band gap or not depends on the material. A conductor, such as a metal, has no band gap. The unoccupied orbitals have the same energy as the occupied ones.

Further, these electronic states are quantized and electronic transitions take place in accordance with pauli’s exclusion principle that is no two electrons of the same spin can occupy same state.

No, once they form a band they're no longer quantized, there's a continuum of states in the band, much as a free electron has a continuum of available states. So electrons in a conductor behave largely as if they were free electrons. They still do obey the Pauli principle though.

what do mean 0 HOMO-LUMO gap

What is a band gap?

A band gap is an energy range that exists between the valence band and the conduction band in a solid material. It represents the energy level that electrons cannot occupy, creating a gap in the material's energy spectrum.

What are the practical uses of band gaps?

Band gaps have various practical uses, such as in electronic devices where they can be used to control the movement of electrons and create semiconductors. They are also crucial in the development of solar cells, as they determine the material's ability to absorb and convert light into electrical energy.

How can band gaps be manipulated?

Band gaps can be manipulated by altering the composition and structure of a material. Adding impurities, also known as doping, can change the band gap and give the material new properties. Additionally, applying external forces such as pressure or an electric field can also modify a material's band gap.

What is free carrier absorption?

Free carrier absorption is a phenomenon that occurs when photons of light are absorbed by free electrons in a material, causing them to transition to a higher energy state. This process is essential in the absorption of light in semiconductors, which is necessary for the functioning of solar cells and other optoelectronic devices.

How is free carrier absorption related to band gaps?

The amount of free carrier absorption in a material is directly related to the band gap. Materials with a smaller band gap have a higher absorption of light and are more efficient at converting it into electrical energy. This relationship is crucial in the development of new materials for solar cells and other optoelectronic applications.