Wind Turbines on Cars: Benefits & Challenges

In summary: The APU is not used for propulsion. It's just a generator.- The APU has to be small and light weight. And it still uses fuel.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using wind turbines on cars as a way to generate energy and reduce drag. The idea is questioned and debated, with examples given of wind-powered vehicles and turbines being used in other industries. However, it is ultimately concluded that the extra fuel needed to power the car through the added drag would outweigh any potential benefits. The conversation also touches on the use of turbines for emergency power and the differences between that and using them for propulsion.
Unrest said:
I think you misunderstood me. But you see the point. from 89 to 02 it hasn't improved in any noticeable way, despite the change from carbs to fuel injection and all the rest. Those improvements are counteracted by it being heavier, which I suppose may be a combination of safety and fashion.

If the car weighs almost 750 pounds more and gets the same gas mileage - then we have made significant improvements in fuel efficiency in ~20 years. That's not even arguable, it is a fact.

Force = (Mass) (Acceleration)

In this case the mass and the acceleration have increased significantly, therefore the force required to propel the car is much greater yet both cars get the same gas mileage.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Caladorcp, we get people that post in these threads asking all kinds of questions expecting various types of replies. Don't expect us to read your mind in order to know what type of reply you want. Most folks want a real answer with an explanation as to why it won't work. And then some of them go on to say why they disagree and then say it will work. Funny thing that is, it makes me wonder why they asked in the first place.
-
BUT, not many people come on here like you. You posed a scenario first. Then you said you just wanted a yes or no answer and a simple explanation which you got from me along with reassurance that you are definitely among many others that have had the same idea. You are NOT alone. Then you complain about other posters making you feel stupid. In my opinion everyone has given you just what you asked in the first place. If you feel stupid, it is not our fault and quite honestly I cannot understand why you feel that way since as I previously stated, many other people make the same assumption.
-
Last thought: As many of these discussions as I have watched, no one EVER comes up with the idea of putting a sail on a vehicle. Not really practical in city driving, but the point still stands.

Averagesupernova said:
Caladorcp, we get people that post in these threads asking all kinds of questions expecting various types of replies. Don't expect us to read your mind in order to know what type of reply you want. Most folks want a real answer with an explanation as to why it won't work. And then some of them go on to say why they disagree and then say it will work. Funny thing that is, it makes me wonder why they asked in the first place.
-
BUT, not many people come on here like you. You posed a scenario first. Then you said you just wanted a yes or no answer and a simple explanation which you got from me along with reassurance that you are definitely among many others that have had the same idea. You are NOT alone. Then you complain about other posters making you feel stupid. In my opinion everyone has given you just what you asked in the first place. If you feel stupid, it is not our fault and quite honestly I cannot understand why you feel that way since as I previously stated, many other people make the same assumption.
-
Last thought: As many of these discussions as I have watched, no one EVER comes up with the idea of putting a sail on a vehicle. Not really practical in city driving, but the point still stands.

Well actually I proposed a scenario completely different than the guy who hijacked my thread. He didn't even bother to read what had already been said so if he feels stupid/ignorant maybe the 'shoe fits'.

Adding a sail is an interesting idea but there are already teams of researchers competing for land speed records with wind-powered vehicles. Of course it's possible but like you said, really impractical for city driving. I can imagine a light turning green and waiting for a gust of wind to start a slow crawl across the intersection.

I've also seen a car in Australia, I believe, that had a retractable kite to help harness wind power - also not practical for mass transit. There is also another neat concept using kites where a very large kite is allowed to un-spool a large amount of wire, spinning a flywheel to generate power. I believe the kite is then retracted when the wind is not as intense.

microsoftMan said:
If the car weighs almost 750 pounds more and gets the same gas mileage - then we have made significant improvements in fuel efficiency in ~20 years. That's not even arguable, it is a fact.
Who's arguing it? That's consistent with what I said. Despite improvements in efficiency, mileage hasn't improved, and that's what you pay for in fuel costs.

I haven't really seen much commenting on the idea of implementing some kind of turbine generator during braking, but I could definitely see such a system working when applied at the right time. A very noticeable effect of the generator in a hybrid is its lack of ability to coast. I'm sure a similar effect would be observed if some kind of turbine was placed strategically along the outside of the car. If carefully applied some force could be generated while the brakes are being used.

247killingtim said:
implementing some kind of turbine generator during braking,

Most of this thread has been about that. As you vaguely suggested, the generator already does this, so deploying a wind turbing during braking would only take away from the more efficient power already available from regenerative braking.

Unrest said:
Most of this thread has been about that. As you vaguely suggested, the generator already does this, so deploying a wind turbing during braking would only take away from the more efficient power already available from regenerative braking.

I hate to throw in anecdotal evidence but in my experience, the regenerative braking currently uses permanent magnets; the timing aspect of the generation isn't there, which lowers your ability to coast. A wind turbine that could be deployed at the right times and be activated more easily, and have lower losses. Then again I don't know if the gains would be worth implementing it, and modifying the current designs would probably be more effective. It would be interesting to use it to increase the braking ability, kind of like flaps on a plane.

247killingtim said:
I don't know if the gains would be worth implementing it, and modifying the current designs would probably be more effective. It would be interesting to use it to increase the braking ability, kind of like flaps on a plane.

A wind turbine wouldn't have lower losses, they're notoriously inefficient. Generators on the other hand are suprisingly efficient. If some car has it wired up inefficiently then the solution woud just be to rewire it or maybe have a clutch to disengage it.

I don't think the non-coastig problem is because of permanent magnets tho. If it's not generating electric current then where's all that energy going? Heating up the armeture? Sure a little bit, but that's the same tiny inefficiency that's there in any generator.

Flaps to increase braking efficiency would hardly have any effect because cars travel so slowly. Maybe if you used a parachuse like a drag racer it might save you from crashing into a truck or something, but that's a whole different purpose to conserving fuel. If you have to be stopping so quickly it's an emergency, not day-to-day driving.

Averagesupernova said:
-
-

I didn't say nobody gave me an answer, I just thought their answers seemed rude. When I said I wanted an answer and a simple explanation I was simply saying just that, I WANT AN ANSWER, meaning I wasn't looking for all the other stuff in the posts that seemed to put me down. And it's noted that others have asked and I am aware, ok.

Why are you bringing this up anyway? I said previously (If you read lol) that I found my idea wouldn't work.

Please note: I am no longer looking for an answer so stop posting about it. I get that my idea wouldn't work, alright.

Anyway...247killingtim, I don't think a turbine small enough to fit on a car (or in it) would generate much power to be worth anything or make much of a difference.

And microsoftMan, I didn't intend to "hijack your thread," sorry about that.

<h2>1. How do wind turbines on cars work?</h2><p>Wind turbines on cars work by using wind energy to generate electricity. The turbines are typically mounted on the roof or sides of the car and consist of blades that rotate when the car is in motion. The rotation of the blades turns a generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy that can be used to power the car's electrical systems.</p><h2>2. What are the benefits of using wind turbines on cars?</h2><p>There are several benefits to using wind turbines on cars. Firstly, they can help reduce fuel consumption and emissions, as the electricity generated can be used to power the car's electrical systems, reducing the load on the engine. This can lead to improved fuel efficiency and reduced carbon footprint. Additionally, wind turbines on cars can also provide a source of renewable energy, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.</p><h2>3. What are the challenges of implementing wind turbines on cars?</h2><p>One of the main challenges of implementing wind turbines on cars is the limited space available for installation. Cars have a relatively small surface area, making it difficult to fit a large enough turbine to generate significant amounts of electricity. Additionally, the placement of the turbines can also affect the aerodynamics of the car, potentially reducing its efficiency. There are also concerns about the added weight and cost of the turbines, which may outweigh the benefits in some cases.</p><h2>4. Can wind turbines on cars be used to power the entire vehicle?</h2><p>At this time, wind turbines on cars are not capable of powering the entire vehicle. The amount of energy that can be generated from the turbines is relatively small compared to the energy needed to power a car. However, they can supplement the car's energy needs and reduce the load on the engine, leading to improved fuel efficiency.</p><h2>5. Are there any safety concerns with using wind turbines on cars?</h2><p>There are some safety concerns associated with using wind turbines on cars. The blades of the turbines can be a potential hazard to pedestrians and other vehicles if they are not properly designed and installed. There is also a risk of the turbines being damaged or causing damage to the car in extreme weather conditions, such as strong winds or hail. Proper precautions and safety measures should be taken when installing and using wind turbines on cars to minimize these risks.</p>

1. How do wind turbines on cars work?

Wind turbines on cars work by using wind energy to generate electricity. The turbines are typically mounted on the roof or sides of the car and consist of blades that rotate when the car is in motion. The rotation of the blades turns a generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy that can be used to power the car's electrical systems.

2. What are the benefits of using wind turbines on cars?

There are several benefits to using wind turbines on cars. Firstly, they can help reduce fuel consumption and emissions, as the electricity generated can be used to power the car's electrical systems, reducing the load on the engine. This can lead to improved fuel efficiency and reduced carbon footprint. Additionally, wind turbines on cars can also provide a source of renewable energy, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.

3. What are the challenges of implementing wind turbines on cars?

One of the main challenges of implementing wind turbines on cars is the limited space available for installation. Cars have a relatively small surface area, making it difficult to fit a large enough turbine to generate significant amounts of electricity. Additionally, the placement of the turbines can also affect the aerodynamics of the car, potentially reducing its efficiency. There are also concerns about the added weight and cost of the turbines, which may outweigh the benefits in some cases.

4. Can wind turbines on cars be used to power the entire vehicle?

At this time, wind turbines on cars are not capable of powering the entire vehicle. The amount of energy that can be generated from the turbines is relatively small compared to the energy needed to power a car. However, they can supplement the car's energy needs and reduce the load on the engine, leading to improved fuel efficiency.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using wind turbines on cars?

There are some safety concerns associated with using wind turbines on cars. The blades of the turbines can be a potential hazard to pedestrians and other vehicles if they are not properly designed and installed. There is also a risk of the turbines being damaged or causing damage to the car in extreme weather conditions, such as strong winds or hail. Proper precautions and safety measures should be taken when installing and using wind turbines on cars to minimize these risks.