Problem about Fermat numbers and order of an element

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the order of 2 modulo p is equal to 2^(n+1) by using the fact that 2^(2^(n+1)) is congruent to 1 modulo p. The conversation also discusses using a contradiction argument to show that 2^(n+1) is the smallest possible number k such that 2^k is congruent to 1 modulo p. By considering successive squares of 2^(2^k), it is shown that this is not possible, leading to a contradiction.
demonelite123
Let Fn = 22n + 1 be the nth Fermat number and suppose that p|Fn, where p is a prime (possibly Fn itself). Show that [itex] 2^{2^{n+1}} \equiv 1 (mod p) [/itex] so that [itex] ord_p(2)|2^{n+1} [/itex]. Use this to show that [itex] ord_p(2) = 2^{n+1} [/itex].

So far i have shown that [itex] 2^{2^{n+1}} \equiv 1 (mod p) [/itex] so that [itex] ord_p(2)|2^{n+1} [/itex]. But what I'm having trouble showing now is that 2n+1 is the smallest possible number k such that [itex] 2^k \equiv 1 (mod p) [/itex]. I know that the order of 2 must be some power of 2 so I have tried to use a contradiction argument assuming that there exists a 2k such that [itex] 2^{2^k} \equiv 1 (mod p) [/itex]. then i have [itex] 2^{2^{n+1}} \equiv 2^{2^k} (mod p) [/itex] so [itex] 2^{2^{n+1}-2^k} \equiv 1 (mod p) [/itex]. but i can't seem to find a contradiction.

can someone give me some hints to continue? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]2^{2^{n+1}-2^k} = 2^{\left(2^k + 2^{k+1} + 2^{k+2} + ... + 2^n\right)} = 2^{2^k} \cdot 2^{2^{k+1}} \cdot 2^{2^{k+2}} \cdot ~...~ \cdot 2^{2^n}[/itex], but [itex]2^{2^k}[/itex] was 1 modulo p... See if you can unwind the whole thing to get [itex]2^{2^{k+1}} \equiv 1 \pmod p[/itex], at which point you can find your contradiction.

Be careful, however (you probably know this already), with arguments that cancel something on both sides of a congruency. [itex]10 \equiv 6 \pmod 4[/itex], but [itex]5 \not\equiv 3 \pmod 4[/itex]. What you cancel out in your case are expressions congruent to 1 mod p, which, since they are 1 multiplying something, can be removed.

i think i know how to continue the problem. thanks for your reply!

Oops... I used a neat trick to conclude something stupid. Sorry, it was Sunday. :)

Successive squares of [itex]2^{2^k}[/itex] will also be congruent to 1, which contradicts the initial statement that [itex]2^{2^n} \equiv -1 \pmod p[/itex] (since p has to be odd to divide Fn).

ah yes that is what i have concluded as well. your first post still helped me to come to fact though!

1. What are Fermat numbers?

Fermat numbers are a sequence of numbers of the form 2n + 1, where n is a non-negative integer. They are named after French mathematician Pierre de Fermat who first studied them in the 17th century.

2. Why are Fermat numbers important in mathematics?

Fermat numbers have a significant role in number theory and have been used in various mathematical proofs and conjectures. They also have connections to other mathematical concepts such as prime numbers and perfect numbers.

3. What is the order of an element in relation to Fermat numbers?

The order of an element in relation to Fermat numbers refers to the smallest positive integer k such that the element raised to the power of k is congruent to 1 modulo the corresponding Fermat number. It is a key concept in studying properties of Fermat numbers.

4. How can the order of an element be calculated for a given Fermat number?

The order of an element can be calculated using various techniques such as modular exponentiation or the Chinese remainder theorem. These methods involve simplifying the calculation by using the properties of Fermat numbers and their relationships with other mathematical concepts.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fermat numbers?

Fermat numbers have been used in cryptography, particularly in the generation of secure prime numbers for encryption algorithms. They have also been studied in the field of fractal geometry and have been used in the design of fractal antennas for wireless communication technology.