Do you have any skills or expertise that would amaze others?

• Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, some of the hidden talents mentioned in the conversation include being bilingual, having good long-term memory, being able to juggle 3 balls and balance objects, being knowledgeable about 90's movies and able to play musical instruments well. Other skills mentioned include being able to recognize aquarium fish and perform mental calculations, having a good sense of smell, being able to tell the difference between different types of Coca-Cola, and having an amazing social obtuseness. Some of these talents may not amaze others, but they are still impressive skills to have.
I did diving when I was in college to try to break my fear of smashing my head off things (as an aside to using swimming as cross training for my other sports). I can manage a two and a half front flip off the 3 meter, double back off the 1 meter.

I've won a few beginner Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitions.

I can do a great redneck/hick impression.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a polyglut, capable of gluttony in half a dozen languages.

I can read my mind.

jreelawg said:
I can read my mind.
Can you help me with that? I lack that skill.

Office_Shredder said:
I'm a polyglut, capable of gluttony in half a dozen languages.
I burped in French once, but it was an accident.

My friend Bunny was able to juggle 3 balls and also 4 and 5 balls in cascades. He got pulled over by a cop one night (about 30 years ago) and the trooper panicked when Bunny reached behind the seat to retrieve some juggling balls. Then when Bunny started juggling the 3 balls (with some flourishes) the trooper let him go. Bunny could have (and did) do that basic crap while hammered. I could juggle 3 balls with no problem, but lacked the passing skills to make it look a bit more awesome with another juggler.

zoobyshoe said:
I burped in French once, but it was an accident.
I burped in Chinese once, but it was an orient.

I have no sense of smell and can eat burnt food most people won't touch. Parsley tastes like clover to me. Just another slightly bitter green. Chemistry and petroleum products make me nervous though. I could be covered with gasoline and never know it. Whenever someone shoves something under my nose for me to smell it bugs me like they're invading my personal space.

Women love it except when they cook for me or wear perfume.

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
I burped in Chinese once, but it was an orient.

I've burped in what I thought was a universal tongue, but it was merely occidental.

I can read Vicipaedia. Sort of. Parts of it. :biggrin:

Curious3141 said:
What, brevity?

Maybe... :uhh:

I didn't actually think of this until just now. It doesn't strike me as being unusual, but some of my friends think that it is. While I'm not a good darts player, I did compete in 1st/2nd division levels of the Calgary Pub Darts Association for 10 years or so. I've had only 6 180's in my life, but what weirded my friends out is that 3 of them were left-handed and 3 were right-handed.

Hobin said:
I can read Vicipaedia. Sort of. Parts of it. :biggrin:

Have you gone to Warthog's higher school of mimicry?

I'm passionate about Physics. Lots of my friends and colleagues are amazed by that.

jobyts said:
I'm passionate about Physics. Lots of my friends and colleagues are amazed by that.

Truly? Then you must have some amazing friends and colleagues! (That, or I need to get out of my shell a lil' bit more.)

I play drums, and most non-metal listeners are amazed at how cool double bass sounds. Not really a unique skill though.

I'm really good at finding similarities with people's appearances, especially their faces. I frequently compare people to celebrities or other people, and almost everyone agrees with me and acts amazed when they realize it. I try to keep it to myself usually though, cause some comparisons are not always flattering. I eventually lost a friend when everyone was calling him Jay Sherman from the critic and he realized I started the idea.

I can twist my wrists 360 degrees.

I can jump from second story levels, stair cases, and other big heights with a beer in my hand without spilling.

I cannot understand words in any lyrics, no matter how clear the voice is. This is more of a bad thing than a skill, but it amazes friends when I tell them I don't know the words to songs we've listened to hundreds of times.

I have a very good, I'd say phenomenal, memory since the very childhood - I can memorize all phone numbers, addresses and other information alike without writing it down, I remember all people's names, I can easily learn a poem by heart... and oh, I am writing poetry as well, people say it's pretty good, but for me it's just a hobby.

feathermoon said:
I did diving when I was in college to try to break my fear of smashing my head off things (as an aside to using swimming as cross training for my other sports). I can manage a two and a half front flip off the 3 meter, double back off the 1 meter.

I've won a few beginner Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitions.

I can do a great redneck/hick impression.

Oh la di da, I can do that too, and I ain't even from the bahble belt.

It even less impressive if your actually from nebraska or idaho or sum' places like tha.

cMckay said:
I have a very good, I'd say phenomenal, memory since the very childhood - I can memorize all phone numbers, addresses and other information alike without writing it down, I remember all people's names, I can easily learn a poem by heart... and oh, I am writing poetry as well, people say it's pretty good, but for me it's just a hobby.

Really? Take a look at mine!

I have a kitty named snowball,
she died she died!
Mom said she was sleeping,
she lied! she lied!

Whadda you think?:blushing:

OK, I've learned it by heart. Now what?

Alex_Sanders said:
Whadda you think?:blushing:

Uhhh... that's not a poem. The spelling, tenses, metre, syntax and grammar are all over the map. It's cute, but it's not literature.

Danger said:
Uhhh... that's not a poem. The spelling, tenses, metre, syntax and grammar are all over the map. It's cute, but it's not literature.

What were you saying? Peoms are not to have grammars? Peoms are supposed to being peoms, not bounded by the grammatic boundray and boldly squaking beyond where no poets had gone!

Danger said:

By E. E. Cummings, considered one of the great literary poets of the 20th Century:

because i love you)last night

clothed in sealace
appeared to me
your mind drifting
with chuckling rubbish
of pearl weed coral and stones;

lifted,and(before my
eyes sinking)inward,fled;softly
your face smile breasts gargled
by death:drowned only

again carefully through deepness to rise
these your wrists
thighs feet hands

poising
to again utterly disappear;
rushing gently swiftly creeping
through my dreams last
night,all of your
body with its spirit floated
(clothed only in

the tide's acute weaving murmur

Zoob, that... thing that you posted is unreadable.
By the bye, I think that you are just about the only person that I've encountered who capitalizes his name.

Danger said:
Zoob, that... thing that you posted is unreadable.
i know) the question is

shards of memory
jumbled glimpses
fast jotted on the back of his eyes
scribbled in sharp blurred line

is it a poem)this grasped for;snatched at
moment rushed by, through?
clawing at the present he
scratches it, and
the page isflecked with red constellations
of now-blood) but
is it a poem