Multi World Hypothesis and The Double Slit Experiment.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Multi Universe Theory and its treatment of the observer effect in a basic Quantum Double Slit Experiment. The theory suggests that when a measurement is taken, the universe splits into multiple copies to accommodate each possible outcome. However, there is debate on whether this theory adds any new insights compared to the Copenhagen interpretation. In Copenhagen, the wavefunction collapses into a delta function after measurement, while in Many Worlds, it continues to evolve according to the Schrodinger equation.
physics.x2010
Greetings!

From my last post, to this my understanding of QM has improved somewhat. (thanks mostly to these great forums).

I was wondering how the Multi Universe Theory treats the observer effect in a basic Quantum Double Slit Experiment ?

from howstuffworks.com :- "“When a physicist measures the object, the universe splits into two distinct universes to accommodate each of the possible outcomes.”"

So does this mean, when we set up a detector to determine which slit the photon went through, in our universe the decoherence causes the photon to behave like a particle, but in an alternate universe, the photon could actually go anywhere and continue to to perhaps form an interference pattern?

If my understanding is right, has anyone explored the nature of such an universe where observation has no effect on quantum events?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one? :( Sigh!

Presumably, when the photon hits the slit, the universe splits into infinite copies, where each copy the photon hits a different spot on the screen. There are more copies of the universe where the photon intensity is greater. Somehow, one universe is chosen and we see a spot on the screen. The many world hypothesis just adds some complexity and explains nothing in this scenario.

As far as I know in the multiple worlds picture the wavefunction essentially gives you a 'list' of possible universes you might travel down.
Tbh, I've seen nothing that makes the multiple world picture seem any different from the copenhagen except for the interchange of probability and universe

In every case I've seen, copenhagen is a far more useful (well, intuative would be a better word, as I said before they seem equivelant) tool for thinking about the situation as well.

In copenhagen you measure a particle, you get a probability for measuring it in a state.
In MW you measure a particle, you get a probability for being in a universe where it's in a state.

Reminds me of the Schrodinger vs Heisenberg picture

genericusrnme said:
In copenhagen you measure a particle, you get a probability for measuring it in a state.
In MW you measure a particle, you get a probability for being in a universe where it's in a state.
No, there's a big difference between the two. In Copenhagen, after you do the measurement the wavefunction collapses into a delta function (Kronecker delta or Dirac delta depending on whether the observable is discrete or continuous), which is presumably a process not described by the Schrodinger equation. In Many Worlds the wave function just keeps evolving according to the Schrodinger equation and never collapses.

Oh, it appears I have been misinformed then :redface:

1. What is the Multi-World Hypothesis?

The Multi-World Hypothesis, also known as the Many-Worlds Interpretation, is a theory in quantum mechanics that proposes the existence of multiple parallel universes. According to this hypothesis, every possible outcome of an event exists in a different universe, therefore explaining the seemingly random behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How does the Multi-World Hypothesis relate to the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is often used as evidence for the Multi-World Hypothesis. In this experiment, a single particle is shot through two slits and creates an interference pattern on the other side. According to the Multi-World Hypothesis, the particle exists in multiple states and travels through both slits simultaneously, creating the interference pattern.

3. Is the Multi-World Hypothesis a proven theory?

No, the Multi-World Hypothesis is still a highly debated and speculative theory in the scientific community. While it offers a possible explanation for quantum behavior, it has not been definitively proven and remains a subject of ongoing research and discussion.

4. Can the Multi-World Hypothesis be tested?

Some scientists have proposed experiments to test the Multi-World Hypothesis, such as attempting to detect parallel universes or observing quantum entanglement in a controlled setting. However, these experiments are still in the early stages and have not yet yielded conclusive results.

5. What are the implications of the Multi-World Hypothesis?

If proven to be true, the Multi-World Hypothesis would completely revolutionize our understanding of the universe and reality. It would mean that there are infinite parallel universes with different versions of ourselves and the world, and that our choices and actions would create new universes. However, until it is proven, the implications of this hypothesis remain purely speculative.