Coefficients while balancing ionic equations

In summary, when balancing ionic equations, we must consider the coefficients of the reactants and products. The oxidation number of an element can change when it loses or gains electrons in a half reaction equation. We do not consider coefficients when determining whether a substance is being oxidized or reduced, but we do use them for balancing.
Cromptu
Hello. I'm having some trouble balancing ionic equations..

Are we supposed to consider the coefficients of the reactants/products?

I came across a contradiction in the examples given in my book :

1) Na + H(+1) → Na(+1) + H2
So in order to figure out the oxidation/reduction part, we will find out the oxidation number. The oxidation number of Na would be 0 as it is in elemental form and since in the RHS it has an oxidation number of +1, it is being oxidized. In case of H, we will balance the element first. So, 2H(+1) → H2
My question is, in this case, what will be the oxidation number of H in the LHS? +1 or +2?
According to the book it is +2 so that means we would be considering the coefficients.

2) I(-1) + Br2 → I2 + Br(-1)
So again we would figure out what is being oxidized and what is being reduced. And here, since the oxidation number of I is being increased from -1 to 0, it is being oxidized. And in case of Br, we would balance the element first. So, Br2 → 2Br
Again, what would be the oxidation number of Br? -1 or -2? Do we consider the coefficient?

Please explain the answer..Thankyou

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Oxidation number changes when the element loses or gains the electrons. So, when H+ (ON equal +1) gets reduced to hydrogen H2 (ON equal 0) half reaction equation is

2H+ + 2e- -> H2

as you need two electrons to balance the charge.

what will be the oxidation number of H in the LHS? +1 or +2?
According to the book it is +2 so that means we would be considering the coefficients.

It is +1, but you need two electrons to reduce two H+.

So we do not consider the coefficients but we do add the number of electrons according to the charge that needs to be balanced. But suppose that we have to figure out whether a substance is getting oxidized or reduced, then will consider the coefficient?
For example, Cl2 + HC2O4(-1) ---> 2CO3(-2) +2Cl(-1)
So here the oxidation number of Cl2 on the left hand side is 0. What will it be on the right hand side? -1 or -2? Whatever it will be, it is getting reduced.
Now in the case of carbon, it is 6 ( we do consider the subscript right? ) and if we balance it on the left hand side, it has a coefficient 2. So what will be the oxidation number of carbon here? 2 or 4? Whatever it will be, it would be reduction. So what is getting oxidized here?

Cromptu said:
suppose that we have to figure out whether a substance is getting oxidized or reduced, then will consider the coefficient?

No. We assign ON to each atom separately, we use coefficients for balancing.

So here the oxidation number of Cl2 on the left hand side is 0. What will it be on the right hand side? -1 or -2? Whatever it will be, it is getting reduced.

Now in the case of carbon, it is 6 ( we do consider the subscript right? ) and if we balance it on the left hand side, it has a coefficient 2. So what will be the oxidation number of carbon here? 2 or 4? Whatever it will be, it would be reduction. So what is getting oxidized here?

Oxidation number is a property of a single atom. In oxalic acid you have two identical carbon atoms, so it is 2*(oxidation number of carbon)+4*(-2)+1*(+1)=-1, so each carbon atom has ON +3. On the right you have CO32-, so the ON of carbon is +4. That means each carbon atom got from +3 to +4, so it is an oxidation.

Hello,

In balancing ionic equations, it is important to consider the coefficients of the reactants and products. These coefficients represent the number of each ion present in the reaction. The oxidation number of an element can change depending on its chemical environment, so it is important to take into account the coefficients when determining the oxidation number.

In the first example, the oxidation number of H in the LHS is +1 because there is only one H ion present. However, when balancing the element, it becomes 2H(+1) on the LHS, which means the oxidation number of H becomes +2. This is why the book states +2 as the oxidation number in the LHS.

In the second example, the oxidation number of Br is -1 on the LHS because there is only one Br ion present. However, when balancing the element, it becomes 2Br(-1) on the RHS, which means the oxidation number of Br becomes -2. Therefore, it is important to consider the coefficient when determining the oxidation number.

I hope this explanation helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you.

1. What are coefficients in balancing ionic equations?

Coefficients in balancing ionic equations are numbers placed in front of the chemical formulas to balance the number of atoms on each side of the equation. They represent the ratio of molecules or ions involved in the reaction.

2. Why is it important to balance ionic equations?

It is important to balance ionic equations because they follow the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. Balancing the equation ensures that the same number of atoms are present on both sides, indicating that the reaction is balanced.

3. How do you determine the coefficients in a balanced ionic equation?

The coefficients in a balanced ionic equation are determined by first identifying the elements present on each side of the equation. Then, using the subscripts in the chemical formulas, the number of atoms of each element is counted. Finally, coefficients are added to balance the number of atoms on each side.

4. Can coefficients be fractions in balancing ionic equations?

Yes, coefficients can be fractions in balancing ionic equations. This is because they represent the ratio of molecules or ions involved in the reaction, and this ratio can be a fraction. However, it is common practice to multiply all coefficients by a common factor to get rid of any fractions in the final balanced equation.

5. What happens if an ionic equation is not balanced?

If an ionic equation is not balanced, it means that the number of atoms on each side of the equation is not equal. This indicates that the reaction is not following the law of conservation of mass and is therefore not a valid chemical reaction. It is important to balance the equation to ensure that the reaction is chemically accurate and follows the principles of chemistry.