Calculate the appropriate dimensions for a magnifier and thin prism working together

In summary: HiIn summary, the appropriate specs for the magnifying lens to capture the entire 50x50 image are a magnification of 2x and a focal length of 20mm. The angle of the thin prism should be adjusted to focus approximately 7mm from the current path. Considerations for the viewer's eye include the distance from the lens and the centering of the lenses. The process to calculate the magnifying lens and thin prism involves using the thin lens formula and the magnification formula. There may be variations in the formulas when taking into account a person's eye looking through the lens.
kingkahuka
Hi! :)

I'm trying to calculate the appropriate lenses to use for a project. I need to magnify a 50mm by 50mm square image that is 40mm from a magnifying lens (with a radius of 12.5mm). Due to size constraints, I also have a thin prism to redirect the light. Assume the viewer (an eye) is within a centimeter from the lens on the opposite side of the thin prism. Additionally, the lenses are centered vertically. An image is attached displaying the configuration on how it is supposed to be arranged.

Questions:

1. What are the appropriate specs (magnification, focal length, etc.) for the magnifying lens to capture the entire 50x50 image, however magnify it as much as possible?

2. What angle should the thin prism be to focus approx 7mm from the current path?

3. What (if any) considerations should be taken into mind when the viewer is an eye? On the equations I've seen, they don't seem to ever talk about a person viewing through the magnifier.

4. What is the process used to calculate both the magnifying lens and thin prism?

Thank you so much for your help and enjoy your holidays!

- C

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 448
Science news on Phys.org

Hi,

So, I was looking at using the thin lens formula (1/s1+1/s2=1/f) and the magnification formula (-s2/s1). Do they change/should I use a different formula when a person's eye is looking through the lens? How does the focal length work with an eye?

If anybody could shed some light on this or my previous post, I'd really really appreciate it!

Thanks so much! Happy New Year!

- C

What is a magnifier and how does it work?

A magnifier is a device used to enlarge the size of an object or image. It works by using a convex lens to bend light rays and create a larger image for the viewer.

What is a thin prism and how does it work?

A thin prism is a transparent object with flat, polished surfaces that refract light. It works by bending light as it passes through the prism, creating a spectrum of colors.

What are the appropriate dimensions for a magnifier and thin prism to work together?

The appropriate dimensions for a magnifier and thin prism depend on the specific application and desired magnification. Factors such as the focal length, refractive index, and thickness of the lenses must be considered to calculate the appropriate dimensions.

How do you calculate the dimensions for a magnifier and thin prism working together?

To calculate the appropriate dimensions, you would need to use the thin lens and thin prism equations, taking into account the focal length, refractive index, and thickness of the lenses. It is also important to consider the distance between the lenses and the object being viewed.

What are the factors that affect the performance of a magnifier and thin prism combination?

The performance of a magnifier and thin prism combination can be affected by factors such as the quality and shape of the lenses, the distance between the lenses and the object, and the lighting conditions. The refractive index and thickness of the lenses also play a role in the overall performance.