Prove Rudin's Theorem 2.27: Closure of E in Metric Space X is Closed

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Rudin has shown that if p∈X and p∉E then p is neither a point of E nor a limit point of E. The compliment of the closure of E is therefore open.
Bachelier
Prove the closure of E in a Metric Space X is closed. (page 35)

Rudin states:

if p∈X and p∉E then p is neither a point of E nor a limit point of E..

Hence, p has a neighborhood which does not intersect E. (Great)

The compliment of the closure of E is therefore open. WHY? I don't see it...

BTW, I know there are different ways to proving this, but I want to understand the last line jump. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The compliment of E is therefore open. WHY? I don't see it...

What is the definition of open? What has Rudin just shown about an arbitrary point in X?

Last edited:
What is your definition of "open"?

Number Nine said:
What is the definition of open? What has Rudin just shown about an arbitrary point in E?

E is Open if every p in E is an interior point (meaning there exists a neighborhood of p that is in E)
The problem we should say that the complement of E is open, not the complement of the closure of E.

I guess since the intersection of N(p) and E is empty then no point q of N(p) can be a limit point of E as this would mean every neighborhood of q will contain an infinite number of points in E. Hence the intersection of N(p) and "closure of E" is empty.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
If any point not in E has an open neighborhood that does not intersect E then by definition the complement of E is open.

Last edited:
my bad, I forgot to add the word: "closure" in the last line of the proof. I just re-read it.

This is what is confusing me:

FROM: Hence, p has a neighborhood which does not intersect E.

We get: The compliment of the closure of E is therefore open.

We have just shown that p is in the complement of the closure of E (call it A). We also showed that p has a neighborhood that is entirely in A. Hence, p is an interior point of that set A. Hence A is open.

Bachelier said:
if p∈X and p∉E then p is neither a point of E nor a limit point of E..
This doesn't make sense. It must be ##p\notin \overline E##, where ##\overline E## is the closure of ##E##, instead of ##p\notin E##.
Then, everything is clear.

Last edited:
Erland said:
This doesn't make sence. It must be ##p\notin \overline E##, where ##\overline E## is the closure of ##E##, instead of ##p\notin E##.
Then, everything is clear.

Since ##p\notin \overline E## then it is not a limit point, hence not every neighborhood of ##p## contains a point of ##E##.

Let ##N(p)## be the neighborhood with no common points with ##E##.

What about ##\overline E##? Is the ##\overline E \cap N(p)## an empty set because if it wasn't, then ##N(p)## will contain a limit point of ##E## and these will have neighborhoods that contain a point of ##E##?

"I understand everything about the proof, except for the part where we go from ##E## to ## \overline E## when we mention the complement. I want to make sure my reasoning is correct" Thanks.

Last edited:
Bachelier said:
Since ##p\notin \overline E## then it is not a limit point, hence not every neighborhood of ##p## contains a point of ##E##.

Let ##N(p)## be the neighborhood with no common points with ##E##.

What about ##\overline E##? Is the ##\overline E \cap N(p)## an empty set because if it wasn't, then ##N(p)## will contain a limit point of ##E## and these will have neighborhoods that contain a point of ##E##?

"I understand everything about the proof, except for the part where we go from ##E## to ## \overline E## when we mention the complement. I want to make sure my reasoning is correct" Thanks.
You are right, I, and Rudin it seems, were a little bit too quick here. But it is as you write. If ##N(p)## intersects ##\overline E## in a point ##q##, say, then ##N(p)## is also a neighborhood of ##q##, and it must contain an element of ##E##, which was not the case. Thus ##N(p)## is a neighborhood of ##p## which does not intersect ##\overline E##.

Last edited:
Erland said:
You are right, I, and Rudin it seems, were a little bit to quick here. But it is as you write. If ##N(p)## intersects ##\overline E## in a point ##q##, say, then ##N(p)## is also a neighborhood of ##q##, and it must contain an element of ##E##, which was not the case. Thus ##N(p)## is a neighborhood of ##p## which does not intersect ##\overline E##.

Thank you. :)

1. What is Rudin's Theorem 2.27?

Rudin's Theorem 2.27 states that the closure of a subset E in a metric space X is closed.

2. What is the definition of closure in a metric space?

The closure of a subset E in a metric space X is the smallest closed set that contains all the points in E. It can also be defined as the set of all limit points of E.

3. How is Rudin's Theorem 2.27 proved?

Rudin's Theorem 2.27 can be proved using the definition of closure, along with properties of closed sets and limit points. It is also helpful to use the fact that the intersection of closed sets is also closed.

4. Why is proving the closure of E in a metric space X is closed important?

Proving that the closure of a subset E in a metric space X is closed is important because it is a fundamental result in metric space topology. It allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of closed sets and limit points in a metric space.

5. What are some applications of Rudin's Theorem 2.27?

Rudin's Theorem 2.27 has many applications in various fields such as analysis, topology, and differential equations. It is also used in the proofs of other important theorems in metric space topology.