Hand contact with capacitor negative (excess of electrons) terminal only.

In summary, when touching the negative terminal of a capacitor, your body will absorb excess electrons resulting in a mild shock. It is generally not dangerous, but caution should be exercised when the capacitor is charged to a high voltage. In rare cases, electrocution is possible if the capacitor is charged to a high enough voltage and there is a path for the current to flow through the body. If accidentally touching a charged capacitor, it is important to stay calm and seek medical attention if experiencing discomfort. To avoid touching the negative terminal, always assume the capacitor is charged and follow safety precautions such as using insulated gloves or tools, discharging the capacitor, and avoiding contact with the terminals.
Aspenforest
capacitorquestion_zpsf303e8ce.png

Thank you for any help you are able to provide.

I myself think that the electrons will flow to the
human body and further drain the battery.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? If I keep the potential across the capacitor plates the same, but increase their area, does that increase the rate of electron flow to the person? What determines current flow through something? Does increasing the plate area affect that?

1. What happens if I touch the negative terminal of a capacitor?

When you touch the negative terminal of a capacitor, your body will absorb the excess electrons present in the terminal. This can result in a mild electric shock, but the current will quickly dissipate as the capacitor discharges.

2. Is it dangerous to touch the negative terminal of a capacitor?

In most cases, touching the negative terminal of a capacitor will not be dangerous. However, if the capacitor is charged to a high voltage, it can deliver a more powerful shock. It is always best to exercise caution and avoid touching the terminals of a charged capacitor.

3. Can I get electrocuted by touching the negative terminal of a capacitor?

In general, it is unlikely that touching the negative terminal of a capacitor will result in electrocution. However, if the capacitor is charged to a high enough voltage and there is a path for the current to flow through your body, it is possible to experience a dangerous shock.

4. What should I do if I accidentally touch the negative terminal of a charged capacitor?

If you accidentally touch the negative terminal of a charged capacitor, you may experience a mild shock. It is important to stay calm and remove yourself from the source of the shock. If you are feeling any discomfort or unusual symptoms, seek medical attention.

5. How can I safely handle capacitors to avoid touching the negative terminal?

To safely handle capacitors, it is important to always assume that they are charged and follow proper safety precautions. This includes using insulated gloves or tools, discharging the capacitor before handling it, and avoiding touching the terminals altogether if possible. It is also important to carefully read and follow any warning labels or instructions provided by the manufacturer.