Understanding the Sign Convention for Lens Formula Proofs

In summary: If you don't use a sign convention the how do you work out whether the image will end up in front of or behind the lens? Also, how do you distinguish between a concave or convex lens? (The answers to those questions are not allowed to include "you specify in words, which side and which type" - the calculation must involve just Maths.)You don't use a sign convention, but you work out whether the image will end up in front of or behind the lens by considering the concept of similar triangles. To distinguish between a concave and convex lens, you need to calculate the curvature of the lens.
Sam Morse
I googled for lens formula's proof on the internet and found one here

http://www.tutorvista.com/content/physics/physics-ii/light-refraction/convex-lens-formula.php

The problem is that during the course of derivation, it is assumed that image distance is -u following the sign convention. But I don't see why we have to use to sign convention once again while solving problems in ray optics...

Science news on Phys.org
Sam Morse said:
I googled for lens formula's proof on the internet and found one here

http://www.tutorvista.com/content/physics/physics-ii/light-refraction/convex-lens-formula.php

The problem is that during the course of derivation, it is assumed that image distance is -u following the sign convention. But I don't see why we have to use to sign convention once again while solving problems in ray optics...

We have chosen the sign convention to maintain consistency while solving the problems.

Direction has been considered...

I understand why we use sign convention ... but what's the need of using the sign convention once again ? We have already used the sign convention while deriving the formula for a lens.

Sam Morse said:
I understand why we use sign convention ... but what's the need of using the sign convention once again ? We have already used the sign convention while deriving the formula for a lens.

Perhaps, I am of the opinion that while deriving lens formula we use the concept of similar triangles and that formula : 1/f=1/v-1/u is sign independent for now, unless while solving the problems we consider the sign convention.

sankalpmittal said:
Perhaps, I am of the opinion that while deriving lens formula we use the concept of similar triangles and that formula : 1/f=1/v-1/u is sign independent for now, unless while solving the problems we consider the sign convention.

If you don't use a sign convention the how do you work out whether the image will end up in front of or behind the lens? Also, how do you distinguish between a concave or convex lens? (The answers to those questions are not allowed to include "you specify in words, which side and which type" - the calculation must involve just Maths.)

1. What is the sign convention for lens formula proofs?

The sign convention for lens formula proofs is a set of rules used to determine the sign (+/-) of quantities such as object distance, image distance, and focal length in equations involving lenses.

2. Why is the sign convention important in understanding lens formula proofs?

The sign convention is important because it helps us determine the direction and nature of the image formed by a lens, as well as the type of lens (converging or diverging). It also allows us to easily determine the magnification of the image.

3. What are the key elements of the sign convention for lens formula proofs?

The key elements of the sign convention include assigning a positive sign to quantities on the same side as the incident light, and a negative sign to quantities on the opposite side. The center of the lens is considered the origin, and distances are measured from this point.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative sign in the lens formula?

A positive sign indicates that the quantity is on the same side as the incident light, while a negative sign indicates that the quantity is on the opposite side. This is important in determining the direction and nature of the image formed by the lens.

5. How does the sign convention apply to different types of lenses?

The sign convention applies to both converging and diverging lenses. However, the signs are reversed for diverging lenses, as the incident light is on the opposite side of the lens. Additionally, in the case of virtual images formed by diverging lenses, the image distance is assigned a negative sign.