Radiation pattern of crt tv with small loop antenna

In summary, this article discusses how to build single-turn, E-field shielded B-field probes, which are necessary to avoid capacitively-coupled signals from affecting the signal.
mishima
I was playing with an old crt TV and a small loop antenna earlier and noticed that when I hold the antenna vertically in front of the TV I get one solid spike at around 15 kHz. When I hold the antenna horizontally I get a multitude of spikes that are not there when I turn off the TV.

This suggests to me that the field lines in the space inside my antenna are oriented in such a way that the magnetic field is horizontal, and the electric field is vertical. This is since the small loop antenna is affected most by magnetic fields, and they must be passing through the loop to induce current. Is that correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mishima said:
I was playing with an old crt TV and a small loop antenna earlier and noticed that when I hold the antenna vertically in front of the TV I get one solid spike at around 15 kHz. When I hold the antenna horizontally I get a multitude of spikes that are not there when I turn off the TV.

This suggests to me that the field lines in the space inside my antenna are oriented in such a way that the magnetic field is horizontal, and the electric field is vertical. This is since the small loop antenna is affected most by magnetic fields, and they must be passing through the loop to induce current. Is that correct?

Assuming the B-field loop probe (often called "sniffer" probes) is made correctly, then yes, you are sensing the AC magnetic field that is caused by AC currents. Here is a good intro to sniffer probe construction and use:

http://www.compliance-club.com/archive/old_archive/030718.htm

If you are not building the probe correctly, then you are sensing a mix of AC B & E fields, which is generally less useful.

Nice, thank you for the very cool link. Currently my antenna is about 50 turns of wire on a wooden frame, those small sniffer probes would be very fun to build/use as well.

mishima said:
Nice, thank you for the very cool link. Currently my antenna is about 50 turns of wire on a wooden frame, those small sniffer probes would be very fun to build/use as well.

The single-turn, E-field shielded B-field probes as shown in the article generally require a preamp of 20-40dB before the signal is visible on a spectrum analyzer. You might be able to E-field shield your multi-turn coil if you follow the overall tips in the paper. The E-field shielding is necessary to keep capacitively-coupled signals out of your probe signal.

Yes, your observation is correct. The radiation pattern of a CRT TV with a small loop antenna is determined by the orientation of the magnetic and electric fields. When you hold the antenna vertically, the magnetic field lines are parallel to the antenna and induce a strong current. This results in a single spike at 15 kHz, which is the frequency of the TV signal. When you hold the antenna horizontally, the magnetic field lines are perpendicular to the antenna and do not induce a strong current. Instead, the electric field lines are parallel to the antenna and induce a weaker current, resulting in multiple spikes at various frequencies. This is due to the fact that the small loop antenna is most sensitive to magnetic fields and not electric fields. Overall, your observation is a good example of how the orientation of an antenna can affect its radiation pattern and sensitivity to different types of electromagnetic fields.

What is a CRT TV?

A CRT (cathode ray tube) TV is a type of television that uses a large, bulky glass tube to display images. It was the dominant technology for TV screens from the 1950s to the early 2000s.

What is a small loop antenna?

A small loop antenna is a type of antenna used to receive or transmit radio signals. It consists of a loop of wire or other conductive material, typically less than one wavelength in size. It is commonly used in portable radios and small devices due to its compact size and efficiency.

What is a radiation pattern?

A radiation pattern is a graphical representation of how an antenna radiates electromagnetic waves into space. It shows the directional characteristics, or how the antenna transmits or receives energy in different directions.

How does a CRT TV with small loop antenna's radiation pattern differ from other antennas?

The radiation pattern of a CRT TV with small loop antenna is generally omnidirectional, which means it radiates energy equally in all directions. This is because the loop antenna is small and does not have a directional focus like larger antennas. However, the radiation pattern may vary slightly depending on the orientation and placement of the antenna.

What factors affect the radiation pattern of a CRT TV with small loop antenna?

The radiation pattern of a CRT TV with small loop antenna can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the loop antenna, the frequency of the signal being transmitted or received, the distance between the antenna and the TV, and any obstructions or interference in the surrounding environment.