What is this strange instrument made of brown and grey metal strips?

In summary, a user on the physicsforums is seeking help in identifying strange instruments in their class. The instruments are two strips of metal, one brown (possibly copper) and one grey (possibly invar or iron), connected at one end by two circular fasteners. Each strip also has two screws at the other end, and when the strips are moved together, the screws touch at the ridged end. The user is looking for assistance in identifying this instrument.
retagaine
Hi, physicsforums!
I have a dilemma: there seems to be several strange instruments in our class that nobody is able to identify. The description is as follows:

One strip is a brown metal (copper?) and the other is a grey metal (invar? iron?). (I'm making guesses at the metals due to the fact that someone suggested that it could be some bimetallic strip, although the two strips of metal are not welded together.)

The strips are connected at one end by two circular fasteners. At the other end of each of the strips are connected two screws. When the two strips are moved together, the screws touch at the ridged end (the one that isn't the cap), similar in fashion to metallic casanets. Can anyone here identify what this instrument is? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
retagaine, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I cannot identify those objects from your written description. Can you post photographs? Or, more detailed description, including measurements. Thank you.

Bobbywhy

1. What is instrument identification?

Instrument identification is the process of recognizing and naming a musical instrument based on its physical appearance, sound, and playing technique.

2. Why is instrument identification important?

Instrument identification is important for musicians, musicologists, and music teachers to accurately identify and teach about different instruments. It also helps in music production and recording to know which instruments are being used.

3. What are the different methods used for instrument identification?

There are several methods used for instrument identification, including visual identification, playing technique analysis, sound analysis, and instrument classification based on their physical characteristics.

4. Can instruments have the same name but different identifying features?

Yes, some instruments can have the same name but different identifying features. For example, a violin and a viola both belong to the string family and have similar playing techniques, but they have different sizes and produce different sounds.

5. How can I improve my instrument identification skills?

To improve your instrument identification skills, you can listen to different types of music and try to identify the instruments being played. You can also do research on different instruments and their characteristics or take a class on instrument identification.