Current of Electrons: Magnetic Field & Protons

In summary: When the magnet moves the piece of iron, the protons in the iron filings must also move (unless the filings are very heavy). The movement of the protons causes a decrease in the voltage across the wire, and therefore an electrical current flows.
Antigone
An magnetic field can make a current flow of electrons. But can the magnetic field make the protons move or is it "just" the electrons that flow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any charge carrier can be made to move. It metals the charge carriers are negatively charged, but in electrolytes they can be positive.

When a magnet moves a piece of iron, did the protons (and neutrons) move too or just the electrons?

Antigone said:
An magnetic field can make a current flow of electrons. But can the magnetic field make the protons move or is it "just" the electrons that flow?

In a normal conductor, such as a copper wire, the protons don't move because they are bound together in a lattice and cannot move. The electrons that make up the current flow are free to flow around the metal, thus a voltage will cause them to move.

DaleSpam said:
Any charge carrier can be made to move. It metals the charge carriers are negatively charged, but in electrolytes they can be positive.

Yes, thank you for teaching me that.

Vanadium 50 said:
When a magnet moves a piece of iron, did the protons (and neutrons) move too or just the electrons?

The neutron that moves must be seen as an object that moves ind irectly because of the magnetic field. Because it has zero net charge, and therefore cannot be affected by the magnetic field in a direct way. At least I think so, though I am no expert on these stuff, just trying to learn.

Drakkith said:
In a normal conductor, such as a copper wire, the protons don't move because they are bound together in a lattice and cannot move. The electrons that make up the current flow are free to flow around the metal, thus a voltage will cause them to move.

That is what I Think, too.

Above contemplations has risen these questions.
1) Can a object that has zero net charge be affected by a magnetic field? If yes, what is it that happens?
2) If an object has zero net charge and is moving through a magnetic field, would it experience the force of the magnetic field or would it be like moving in vacuum? Would it move "slower"?

Thank you

If the protons in your house wiring move then your cable costs are going to be *very* high, and I'd call the police not your power company if your wiring disappears.

"Hello, is this Electro-cartel, my protons have gone, did the wire flow back to your power plant?"

But the protons in the iron filings I put next to the magnet certainly moved!

Antigone said:
Above statement mean that a strong enough magnetic field can affect a human body, or a cat, or a dog. Now please tell me how. What is happening when it does so? I have Always wondered. Perhaps you mean that the magnetic domains of the human body in a strong enough magnetic field would be affected? So then a object like a cat or a human can be affected?
Here is a good link on the topic

http://www.ru.nl/hfml/research/levitation/diamagnetic/

A number of off-topic messages have been removed.

I think a very fundamental question to the OP is what "counts". A magnet can pick up a piece of iron. Somehow that doesn't count, so it would probably help to have a clearer idea of what he's looking for.

In general, motion of all charges, including electrons and protons, contribute to the electrical current. But in a wire, only the electrons contribute, since the metal is solid and normally fastened down to something.

1. What is the relationship between electric current and magnetic field?

Electric current and magnetic field are closely related. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. Conversely, a moving magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby conductor.

2. How do electrons contribute to the electric current?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that make up an electric current. When a voltage difference is applied across a conductor, electrons will flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating a flow of electric current.

3. What role do protons play in the current of electrons?

Protons are positively charged particles that are found in the nuclei of atoms. In a conductor, protons do not contribute to the flow of electric current as they are tightly bound to the nucleus. However, they do play a role in creating an electric potential that allows for the flow of electrons.

4. How does a magnetic field affect the movement of electrons?

A magnetic field can influence the movement of electrons by exerting a force on them. This force, known as the Lorentz force, is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the electrons. This can cause the electrons to move in a circular path, creating a current in a wire.

5. Can the strength of a magnetic field affect the current of electrons?

Yes, the strength of a magnetic field can affect the current of electrons. A stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the electrons, causing them to move with a higher velocity and creating a larger current. Similarly, a weaker magnetic field will result in a weaker current of electrons.